over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Avocados......whats the trick?

boattail

Registered
seriously! these things are a pain to get just right, the window between not yet ripe and brown inside seems so narrow. And sometimes its ripe near the skin but not near the center, and other times vice versa. Sometimees the ripeness and flavor is just right but theres this stringy crap running through it???? i love avocados but there such to try and get perfect. Is it just my crappy luck? help!

dude just at the store pick them up and you can feel how hard they are. depending if you are going to eat it that day or not go from there. if you want to eat it in a about 3 days get it when it is hard and you cannot press into it. if you want to eat it when you get home feel one that has some give to it but not that much.

hey..

heres a little thing my mom does....if not quite ready to eat, place it in a brown bag for a day...It works for whatever reason.

But like above, just feel it before you buy it....

heres a little thing my mom does....if not quite ready to eat, place it in a brown bag for a day...It works for whatever reason.

Its because the chemical called ethylene gas that the fruit gives off as it ripens is held in the paper bag. That's why if you have one spoiled piece of fruit you should get rid of it because it will cause the other fruits to turn bad faster. This is where the phrase 'if one apple is rotten it will spoil the whole bunch' comes from.

thanks guys, but what about the stringy crap thats sometimes in it? you guys ever get that?

thanks guys, but what about the stringy crap thats sometimes in it? you guys ever get that?

Are you sure you're talking about avacodos? :D "stringy thing"??? The inside of the avocado is all meat, with a large pit in the center. And can be easily scooped out with a spoon. If avacado's are what you're talking about. Get the little ones. I forgot their name. But they look like little dark green hand grenades. They are almost perfect every time.

the only thing i know with a stringy thing inside is a cantalope.

dude...

I got the strings going in a mango I got the other day from the corner stand.
You got a mango instead of Avacado maybe?:D
New Mexican fruit market across the street, and two doors down is a Guatemalan supermercado.
Avocados usually come in 2 varieties around here.
One is a smooth shiny green skinned, firmer flesh and holds up well when chopped and doesnt go mushy, the other is rougher looking thicker skinned, softer flesh and is good for the mashy stuff.
Both are damn good!
you just got to get afeel for the ripeness of them and your preferences for each type.

lol yeah, def sure i'm talking about avocadoes, sometimes i find this fibrous stringy shit in it, maybe its just my retarded back luck

If the outside skin is dark and the fruit is soft then don't buy it unless you plan to eat it that day. If it is somewhat green and hard then leave it in your kitchen for a day or two.

i bought a couple last week, they were the same color and firmness, i waited a couple days for them to soften the right amount, i cut them both open, one was just right, the other had that stringy/fibrous shit running threw it and those parts were blackish almost, i just can't figure that part out, it was just the right ripeness except for the stringy crap running through it

seriously! these things are a pain to get just right, the window between not yet ripe and brown inside seems so narrow. And sometimes its ripe near the skin but not near the center, and other times vice versa. Sometimees the ripeness and flavor is just right but theres this stringy crap running through it???? i love avocados but there such to try and get perfect. Is it just my crappy luck? help!

Instead of buying in the store use local farmer markets if you have them in your area. The tip mentioned of adding to paper bag to help ripen does work.

dude just at the store pick them up and you can feel how hard they are. depending if you are going to eat it that day or not go from there. if you want to eat it in a about 3 days get it when it is hard and you cannot press into it. if you want to eat it when you get home feel one that has some give to it but not that much.

bingo

one other thing...

These bad boys go from perfectly ripe to disgusting in about 15 minutes...not really that fast but it seems that way. I get them at a dollar a piece at the corner stand...100 steps from my front door! I am loving my neighborhood fruit market that opened up. Dude has nopalitos, perfect melons, berries and mangos, pineapples and FRESH COCONUTS. Even the green ones with the coconut water inside.

Mmmmm... avocados... :chee:y-sm
My dad and I use to split one after dinner for dessert.
I usually just buy them a little on the soft side. I've gotten the stringy stuff before too...but I eat them regardless. Lol!

ok so....

Mmmmm... avocados... :chee:y-sm
My dad and I use to split one after dinner for dessert.
I usually just buy them a little on the soft side. I've gotten the stringy stuff before too...but I eat them regardless. Lol!

Lynx

How did you guys eat them? Just out of the shell with a spoon?
I like a little lime juice and just a touch sea salt. Sometimes I CRAVE them...but I never really thought of them as DESSERT.
Are they good with whipped cream?:D

Get some good quality Guacamole! just avocado + salt and spices if you get a decent brand.

guacamole and chips man!!!!!

mash up the avocado...add some light mayo...add some cayenne and paprika. Mix. Dip! YUM a nice treat once in awhile! :)

this works with bananas too. It traps the ethylene which is a gas that comes off the ripening fruit and causes it to reabsorb into the fruit, thus speeding the ripening process! :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131