over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low GI fruits...

EVERLAST

Registered
OK, so the corner lot across from us used to be a vacant gas station.

NOW its a really good fruit market. Across from them, 2 doors down from us, is a really good supermercado. Our neighborhood has alot of Latino and Asian flavor and they are big on excellent produce, freshly butchered meats and foods from home...wherever that may be. I can get fresh banana leaves, platinos, empanadas of all kinds, all cuts of chicken, beef and pork.
All within a couple hundred yards of home...never had that good a selection within walkin' distance:D

What do you guys choose for your low GI fruit/melon selections?

They have some really good watermelon, cantaloupes, MANGOS (2 kinds) and Quince, pears, apples, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, damn...everything!
Also roasted soy nuts, peanuts and pistachios that dude roasts in a cauldron over a low fire on site...
These are the nicest guys and they help you select whatever you want. Everything is perfectly ripe...

damn I am getting hungry!
:D:D:D

EVERLAST. I am jealous. I wish I had a place like that within walking distance of my house. My wife is originally from Mexico City so I have been heavily influenced by using fresh ingredients when cooking whenever possible. It makes a huge difference, even in the simplest of dishes

I like whatever fruit I can get that is in season and fresh. I enjoy all the fresh fruit I can get. Right now I have been eating tons of strawberries, melons, pineapple. I think the natural fiber in the fruit slows down that GI response. I tend to have low blood sugar and I never have issues with fresh fruit. Only processed fruit/ food

Next, I am waiting on my tomatoes to ripen on the vine, that is, if I can keep, the birds, squirrels, deer, rabbits out of 'em first :p

Everlast,

Dont sweat the small stuff like what fruits have a low GI. ALL fruits are good fruits just like ALL green veggies are good veggies.

You cant go wrong with whole food in its natural state. Eat well and just stay within your macros!

Everlast,

Dont sweat the small stuff like what fruits have a low GI. ALL fruits are good fruits just like ALL green veggies are good veggies.

You cant go wrong with whole food in its natural state. Eat well and just stay within your macros!

I think this is somewhat rediculous to say not knowing the person or the diet. It obviously works if incorporated properly as Hernon does but most people just cant start slopping down fruit like that without a negative impact. I mean this as if someone doesn't have their diet set up as yours (assuming your a Hernon guy) then insulin spikes due to spikes in blood sugar may not be acceptable. When trying to lose fat the last thing you want is raised insulin levels.

I think this is somewhat rediculous to say not knowing the person or the diet. It obviously works if incorporated properly as Hernon does but most people just cant start slopping down fruit like that without a negative impact. I mean this as if someone doesn't have their diet set up as yours (assuming your a Hernon guy) then insulin spikes due to spikes in blood sugar may not be acceptable. When trying to lose fat the last thing you want is raised insulin levels.

Youre putting yourself into a box.

Basing your carb choices on its GI alone is ridiculous. Just for starters, the GL or Glycemic Load of a carb source is a more important factor of your carb source. If the GL of a carb source (FRUITS) is low with a high GI, its not going to create this "fat" gain that your basing your whole theory around. There is a whole lot more factors that you're not considering here.

I told the poster to stay within his macros. In other words if you eat 40g of carbs in a meal then keep it to 40g of carbs per meal...Please tell me how ANY fruit is detrimental to a diet compared to other carb sources? There are a million benefits that fruits have for a bodybuilder over grains and starches.

Youre putting yourself into a box.

Basing your carb choices on its GI alone is ridiculous. Just for starters, the GL or Glycemic Load of a carb source is a more important factor of your carb source. If the GL of a carb source (FRUITS) is low with a high GI, its not going to create this "fat" gain that your basing your whole theory around. There is a whole lot more factors that you're not considering here.

I told the poster to stay within his macros. In other words if you eat 40g of carbs in a meal then keep it to 40g of carbs per meal...Please tell me how ANY fruit is detrimental to a diet compared to other carb sources? There are a million benefits that fruits have for a bodybuilder over grains and starches.

haha I know what the glycemic load is so no need to go there (and i like being in some nice warm box from time to time :D)

when I spoke of fat gain I meant if you were just eating a shit ton of fruit, i understand that may not be the case if you stay within your macros. my main point though was if you spike your insulin levels it will deter FAT LOSS. you can not lose fat in the presence of insulin. i also agree with you to implement fruits into your diet. i eat blueberries with 2-3 p/c meals per day, usually throwing in a few blueberries in my oatmeal.

what will be detrimental would be including higher GI fruit sources (not all fruits have low glycemic loads) when trying to diet. if you are consuming a protein/carb meal including these higher GI fruit sources you will spike your insulin to a higher level than with something like ezekiel bread. That can and will deter fat loss to a degree. why would you WANT to spike insulin when you could eat something with a lower GI/Glycemic load and keep your insulin levels lower allowing fat loss to occur easier?

Maybe my point would come across easier by you reading this study in Dats thread:
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showpost.php?p=489082&postcount=381

Again, i am completely NOT against fruit. I think it can be very beneficial .

Last edited:
haha I know what the glycemic load is so no need to go there (and i like being in some nice warm box from time to time :D)

when I spoke of fat gain I meant if you were just eating a shit ton of fruit, i understand that may not be the case if you stay within your macros. my main point though was if you spike your insulin levels it will deter FAT LOSS. you can not lose fat in the presence of insulin. i also agree with you to implement fruits into your diet. i eat blueberries with 2-3 p/c meals per day, usually throwing in a few blueberries in my oatmeal.

what will be detrimental would be including higher GI fruit sources (not all fruits have low glycemic loads) when trying to diet. if you are consuming a protein/carb meal including these higher GI fruit sources you will spike your insulin to a higher level than with something like ezekiel bread. That can and will deter fat loss to a degree. why would you WANT to spike insulin when you could eat something with a lower GI/Glycemic load and keep your insulin levels lower allowing fat loss to occur easier?

Maybe my point would come across easier by you reading this study in Dats thread:
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showpost.php?p=489082&postcount=381

Again, i am completely NOT against fruit. I think it can be very beneficial .

Nice post VTliftVT...and this is why you should eat all your macros together (EFAs, Carbs, and Proteins). Eating fats raises Glucagon levels which increases fat release from adipocytes. Proteins or amino acids with EFAs and enough carbs to replenish glycogen stores but to low to have a negative impact on the insulin to glucagon balance and you will build muscle and lose body fat at the same.

To answer your question, I believe that fruits and greens are a superior carb source to grains and starches even in dieting (and I am always intentionally trying to preserve a state of getting leaner while adding muscle...have not been above 10% in a year) despite any insulin "spike" from fruit.

Last edited:

I couldnt agree more bro! On my diet fruits are completely unacceptable!

All fruits are def. NOT good fruits. MOST fruits have tons of fructose and will spike the hell out your insulin- thats pretty basic nutrition...

herbs

Brick

I am big on the fresh herbs too!
Eating the lean protein and keeping an eye on those Glycemic Indexes is more and more important as I get older and wiser about my selections.
Improvements in fuel mixtures, so to speak.
I know what works and what doesn't for me.
Thats all you can ask for...

I couldnt agree more bro! On my diet fruits are completely unacceptable!

All fruits are def. NOT good fruits. MOST fruits have tons of fructose and will spike the hell out your insulin- thats pretty basic nutrition...

This is an ignorant statement and not "pretty basic nutrition"...plz do a search b4 you post nonsense. We are talking about fruit in context. Included with other macro's...efa's, protein.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131