over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you own a rice cooker?

Amino_man

Registered
I bought a rice cooker a week or 10 days ago and I've been trying to cook my rice where the texture is more like a "dry rubbery" look to it.

Does anyone know how to get this texture out of their rice cooker? I have the SANYO 5-cup (micro-computerized Pressure Rice Cooker) Model: ECJ-PX50S

This model has a shit ton of features and so far, I have tried the (Normal White Rice mode with a Normal texture) to it. I have also tried the (SuShi Mode with the Soft texture) and neither has given me what I am looking for.

I suppose I could try every setting but it would take me well over a month, given the amount of rice I would have to consume per week.

So instead I thought I would see if anyone is a rice cooker expert. ::tar-wars

Last edited:
I bought a rice cooker a week or 10 days ago and I've been trying to cook my rice where the texture is more like a "dry rubbery" look to it.

Does anyone know how to get this texture out of their rice cooker? I have the SANYO 5-cup (micro-computerized Pressure Rice Cooker) Model: ECJ-PX50S

This model has a sit done of features and so far, I have tried the (Normal White Rice mode with a Normal texture) to it. I have also tried the (SuShi Mode with the Soft texture) and neither has given me what I am looking for.

I suppose I could try every setting but it would take me well over a month, given the amount of rice I would have to consume per week.

So instead I thought I would see if anyone is a rice cooker expert. ::tar-wars

Best rice I used is Jasmine Rice. The secret cooking of Rice is depends on the water content. Use your little finger and top of your finger to half way of your little finger is exactly how much water u cover the rice and cook for 20 mins.

For my rice cooker ........
Lets say if I use 3 cups of rice I also add 3-1/3 cups of water and a teaspoon of olive oil .

Wow, I think you guys know exactually what I'm trying to make here. Soft and slightly clingy.

Where it's not hard grains but yet they don't stick together very much. Anyone else know how to tweak these ideas?

Wow, I think you guys know exactually what I'm trying to make here. Soft and slightly clingy.

Where it's not hard grains but yet they don't stick together very much. Anyone else know how to tweak these ideas?

Read my post, it's an answer to your question.

I have been using a Black & Decker brand rice cooker for many years now. Its pretty basic but does the job. Its got a measuring scoop that calls for a mix of 1 scoop rice to 2 scoops water. I have found through trial & error that different brands & TYPES of rice will yield very different results. White rice sucks. Sticky & pasty. I have been using PARBOILED rice with excellent results. I let it sit for some time with ocassional stirring after the cooking is complete. It comes out nice and dry with great separation of the rice. I also add seasoning like Mrs. Dash to the pot before cooking. While it is sitting after cooking I usually add a cooked chopped chicken breast & mixed veggies. Let it sit til the veggies are warmed and its deeeelicious.

Best rice I used is Jasmine Rice. The secret cooking of Rice is depends on the water content. Use your little finger and top of your finger to half way of your little finger is exactly how much water u cover the rice and cook for 20 mins.

agree with you BigChef.....this is the way and only way to get it right every time:)

It also comes down to what kind of Rice are you using.

Brown Rice is good but I always put extra water in because to make it more moist. If u dont put enough water in the brown rice it will taste like shit and dry and hard to swallow and chew. Like I said, depend on the water content.

Jasmine Rice has a wonderful texture. Alot of Professional Chefs in Australia use Jasmine Rice.

Also, another secret way of cooking rice is, put the rice in the colander or Fine strainer and wash the rice under cold water and you see the water coming out through the strainer is impurities and dirty. That's why the Asians wash there Rice before they cook it.

agree with you BigChef.....this is the way and only way to get it right every time:)

Thank you Marilyn. Glad to hear your wonderful Rice comes out nice!! :D

I have been using a Black & Decker brand rice cooker for many years now. Its pretty basic but does the job. Its got a measuring scoop that calls for a mix of 1 scoop rice to 2 scoops water. I have found through trial & error that different brands & TYPES of rice will yield very different results. White rice sucks. Sticky & pasty. I have been using PARBOILED rice with excellent results. I let it sit for some time with ocassional stirring after the cooking is complete. It comes out nice and dry with great separation of the rice. I also add seasoning like Mrs. Dash to the pot before cooking. While it is sitting after cooking I usually add a cooked chopped chicken breast & mixed veggies. Let it sit til the veggies are warmed and its deeeelicious.

Parboil rice is ok but problem is hard to swallow. I had to drink my protein shake and gobble my dry rice down my throat. I never like parboil rice. Brown Rice is nicer than parboil crap. Just add a bit more water in the brown rice so its not dry but edible to eat :)

Parboil rice is ok but problem is hard to swallow. I had to drink my protein shake and gobble my dry rice down my throat. I never like parboil rice. Brown Rice is nicer than parboil crap. Just add a bit more water in the brown rice so its not dry but edible to eat :)

Just because BigChef doesnt like something, means it is crap ? Parboiled rice is an excellent solution to the problem that this post is trying to solve. The original question is about the texture of the rice and how to achieve a desired consistency.

Parboiling changes the texture of the rice. It becomes firmer and less sticky. It is a much more durable kernel. It takes just as long to cook (actually a little longer) as white rice, but is much easier to cook. It is almost fool proof. It can be overcooked without being mushy or losing its grain shape. It does not have to be steamed. It can be cooked by blanching only. It has a long steam table life, which is important for restaurants. For these reasons, parboiled rice was adopted as the preferred rice of the restaurant industry long ago and so many consumers have become accustomed to the taste and texture of parboiled rice. It is the only type of rice that can withstand the harsh treatment of most industrial processes that involve cooking and then freezing, canning, or drying. Most rice that is sold in the supermarket in some sort of cooked or partially cooked form has been parboiled.

Last edited:
Read my post, it's an answer to your question.

Thanks bro. It's a great idea and I appreciate it!! I'll use this as my X-mas gift from the PM forum.

I always made it and it was like a big glop of shit so I think you're on to something here. Less water and it will not turn into a big pile of watery mush.

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has the Jasmine Rice?

The tspn of oil sounds like a great point too. Do you mix that in after you cook it to see if it needs it or not, or just put it in regardless?

Last edited:
Thanks bro. It's a great idea and I appreciate it!! I'll use this as my X-mas gift from the PM forum.

I always made it and it was like a big glop of shit so I think you're on to something here. Less water and it will not turn into a big pile of watery mush.

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has the Jasmine Rice?

The tspn of oil sounds like a great point too. Do you mix that in after you cook it to see if it needs it or not, or just put it in regardless?

I never put oil in boiling water for Rice or pasta because it makes the rice or pasta go tough and stops the liquid from getting inside the rice/Pasta. People put oil in because to stop from sticking together but it doesnt work.
I never put oil in my rice even after I cook it because I cook it perfect every time.

I know you just bought your rice cooker but the type of cooker does make a big difference. I tried a couple of cheaper brands before biting the bullet and ordering a Zojirushi 5 1/2 cup rice cooker. Cost more but of the 100's of batches of rice I have made every one is perfect.

I wash the rice before cooking, use a short grain rice. I am not sure what parboiled rice is but I buy my short grain rice in 25lb bags form an Asian market and store it in the freezer chest.

I live out of my rice cooker.. and yes, another vote for Jasmine rice..

I need to get a "yam cooker"

What does it do to the rice if you rinse it? I've noticed that if you don't it leaves behind a murky diluted milk look to the water. Is that good to rise that away?

My wife says that's what gives the rice it's taste, and tells me not to rise it out.

What does it do to the rice if you rinse it? I've noticed that if you don't it leaves behind a murky diluted milk look to the water. Is that good to rise that away?

My wife says that's what gives the rice it's taste, and tells me not to rise it out.

Yes I always rinse my rice before I cooked it, otherwise the impurities in the water will make the rice taste like shit. The Asian always wash there rice so that's how they taught me in Chinese Kitchen.

Big Chef is dead on right. Jasmine Rice is the only way to go. It's the only rice I can stand to eat plain.

Got to agree jasmine is the best! Once you eaten that, those no going back to uncle ben's or any kind of long grain rice.

I like my rice very moist. I do a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water.

Addicted to Jasmin as well! soooooo good.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws