YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does it really matter where i get my protein??

plowboy

Registered
I want to cut fat and lose very little muscle doing it. Im 230 trying to get to 200 im 5ft 10 14 percent bf. A local trainer said im taking in to much protein at 160 grams a day. that my body is using all of it. I dont get all my protein from food i get 50 to 75 a day from protein drinks. Is protein just protein or is it better coming from food

im not sure what your overall cal. intake is, but for your size you should be gettin a leasy 200g's a day and keep your carbs n fat low, so you still burn more cals. than you take in...goodluck bro.

Using whole protein sources is in most cases is more beneficial when dieting. It has greater thermic value then whey (more cals burned in digestion), will help keep you full longer and provides a steady release of amino during the day. I would eat whatever lean protein source you like the most. Its not going to make too much of a difference. If you are going to use whey I would only limit it to around training times for recovery purposes.

As far as amount protein/day that is individual. I personally like to get at least 1g/body weight when dieting.

I want to cut fat and lose very little muscle doing it. Im 230 trying to get to 200 im 5ft 10 14 percent bf. A local trainer said im taking in to much protein at 160 grams a day. that my body is using all of it. I dont get all my protein from food i get 50 to 75 a day from protein drinks. Is protein just protein or is it better coming from food

he said youre taking too much protein at 160g a day at 230? If you want to lose lean body mass then listen to him, you should have at least 1g per body pound. Also I prefer to get protein from stuff that once had a face, I drink protein shakes to get to get supplemental protein, but I try my best to get it from quality meats like sirloin, salmon, chicken or sustanon, kidding . Is he telling you to do the zone diet?

Beans, beans, beans..

They have protein and almost no fat, depending on how they are cooked...

Good luck bro!

he said youre taking too much protein at 160g a day at 230? If you want to lose lean body mass then listen to him, you should have at least 1g per body pound. Also I prefer to get protein from stuff that once had a face, I drink protein shakes to get to get supplemental protein, but I try my best to get it from quality meats like sirloin, salmon, chicken or sustanon, kidding . Is he telling you to do the zone diet?

Okay, when you step on a scale to weigh yourself, you're weighing your ENTIRE body, correct?

Well then, IF you're 14% BF, then 31 lbs of that is fat! Approx 18% is bone (skeleton, you know, the "thing" holding your muscles in position and giving you overall structure). Then there's your organs (liver, kidneys, heart, brain, skin, connective tissue, stomach, intestines etc...etc) AND don't forget the 7 liters of blood which circulates throughout your body!

SKELETAL MUSCLE represents about 40-45% of your TOTAL body weight!

Taking all of that into consideration, your trainer is actually correct in his statement! However, 1g protein/lb LBM is about the minimum one should consume! ~2+g/lb LBM would be the max.

I don't know what you look like OR how muscular your physique is presently, but you should typically figure your LBM, which is Total weight - BF (220 - 31) = 189lb LBM.

161g - 190g proten/day should be your low/normal end and
285g - 320g protein/day should be your max.

So, it sounds like you are about where you should be in terms of protein requirement for your body IF you are eating relatively balanced (moderate protein, moderate carbohydrate, low-fat). When lowering carbs, you generally should increase protein consumption to your "higher" range but this should NOT be done for extended periods!!!

ALSO, protein should come primarily from WHOLE food sources! Protein drinks are categorized as supplements for a reason! They should SUPPLEMENT your primary whole food protein, NOT replace it!

S-

Okay, when you step on a scale to weigh yourself, you're weighing your ENTIRE body, correct?

Well then, IF you're 14% BF, then 31 lbs of that is fat! Approx 18% is bone (skeleton, you know, the "thing" holding your muscles in position and giving you overall structure). Then there's your organs (liver, kidneys, heart, brain, skin, connective tissue, stomach, intestines etc...etc) AND don't forget the 7 liters of blood which circulates throughout your body!

SKELETAL MUSCLE represents about 40-45% of your TOTAL body weight!

Taking all of that into consideration, your trainer is actually correct in his statement! However, 1g protein/lb LBM is about the minimum one should consume! ~2+g/lb LBM would be the max.

I don't know what you look like OR how muscular your physique is presently, but you should typically figure your LBM, which is Total weight - BF (220 - 31) = 189lb LBM.

161g - 190g proten/day should be your low/normal end and
285g - 320g protein/day should be your max.

So, it sounds like you are about where you should be in terms of protein requirement for your body IF you are eating relatively balanced (moderate protein, moderate carbohydrate, low-fat). When lowering carbs, you generally should increase protein consumption to your "higher" range but this should NOT be done for extended periods!!!

ALSO, protein should come primarily from WHOLE food sources! Protein drinks are categorized as supplements for a reason! They should SUPPLEMENT your primary whole food protein, NOT replace it!

S-

i think these facts are a big reason that alot of guys promote 1 g protein per pound of actual body weight , that brings the ration up to the 1.75-2.0 gr per pound of lean mass

Beans, beans, beans..

Good luck bro!

incomplete proteins, just sayin

ya gotta add rice with it to make it complete proteins.

Im only 220 also cutting and i take in 500g's minimun off cycle

Please explain how rice makes beans a complete protein?

Yea i was wondering that myself
:confused:

vegetable proteins (grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and other vegetables) are incomplete proteins because they are missing, or do not have enough of, one or more of the essential amino acids. That's not such a big deal. You already know that grains and legumes are rich in complex carbohydrate and fiber. Now you learn that they can be an excellent source of protein as well; it just takes a little bit of work and know-how. By combining foods from two or more of the following columns—voilà—you create a self-made complete protein. You see, the foods in one column may be missing amino acids that are present in the foods listed in another column. When eaten in combination at the same meal (or separately throughout the day), your body receives all nine essential amino acids

Grains Legumes Nuts/Seeds
Barley Beans Sesame seeds
Bulgur Lentils Sunflower seeds
Cornmeal Dried peas Walnuts
Oats Peanuts Cashews
Buckwheat Chickpeas Pumpkin seeds
Rice Soy products Other nuts
Pasta
Rye
Wheat

Also, by adding small amounts of animal protein (meat, eggs, milk, or cheese) to any of the groups, you create a complete protein

Your body has 24 hours about to complete a protein chain.

So if you have beans at breakfast in your eggs.
Then rice at dinner.

You will still complete that protein and your body will be able to use said protein.

Last edited:
vegetable proteins (grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and other vegetables) are incomplete proteins because they are missing, or do not have enough of, one or more of the essential amino acids. That's not such a big deal. You already know that grains and legumes are rich in complex carbohydrate and fiber. Now you learn that they can be an excellent source of protein as well; it just takes a little bit of work and know-how. By combining foods from two or more of the following columns—voilà—you create a self-made complete protein. You see, the foods in one column may be missing amino acids that are present in the foods listed in another column. When eaten in combination at the same meal (or separately throughout the day), your body receives all nine essential amino acids

Grains Legumes Nuts/Seeds
Barley Beans Sesame seeds
Bulgur Lentils Sunflower seeds
Cornmeal Dried peas Walnuts
Oats Peanuts Cashews
Buckwheat Chickpeas Pumpkin seeds
Rice Soy products Other nuts
Pasta
Rye
Wheat

Also, by adding small amounts of animal protein (meat, eggs, milk, or cheese) to any of the groups, you create a complete protein

Your body has 24 hours about to complete a protein chain.

So if you have beans at breakfast in your eggs.
Then rice at dinner.

You will still complete that protein and your body will be able to use said protein.

Dukit-thanks for the info-I was unaware that the aminos in rice would make the beans complete. I eat rice and beans often and didnt even give this a second thought.

Dukit-thanks for the info-I was unaware that the aminos in rice would make the beans complete. I eat rice and beans often and didnt even give this a second thought.

No problem bro.

Its usually not a big deal for us bodybuilders... cuz our diets should be diverse enough and have enough of the different types of foods throughout the day to compelete any protein chains anyways.

Well i just found another reasone to eat Redbeans and Rice of Mondays

Beans, beans, beans..

Good luck bro!

LMAO
beans are primarily carbohydrate. In order to get enough protein from beans your carbs would be way too high to lose fat.
1gram per pound is fine for youraverage joe
1.5-2 grams/pound for a bodybuilder

just saying

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members