over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Instant v Steel Cut Oatmeal

SteaknAle

Registered
While I prefer steel-cut oats, I just dont have the time in the morning to deal with them. My daily breakfast consists of two packages of instant oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and 2% milk. It appears from the labelling to not make a helluva lot of difference whether I use instant or steel-cut...is there any reason not to use instant?

While I prefer steel-cut oats, I just dont have the time in the morning to deal with them. My daily breakfast consists of two packages of instant oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and 2% milk. It appears from the labelling to not make a helluva lot of difference whether I use instant or steel-cut...is there any reason not to use instant?

SteakandAle-the only discernable difference that I know of is that the steel cut have more fiber in them thus making their Glycemic Index lower. At the end of the day it probably wouldnt matter that much in the big picture

One difference I know of is: those prepacked oatmeal packages (if you buy the flavored kind ie: strawberries n' cream, peaches n' cream etc) that they are loaded with sugar.

I just buy the big cans of plain oatmeal myself and throw a cup of water into the microwave with my oats and in a minute and a half I'm good to go.

One difference I know of is: those prepacked oatmeal packages (if you buy the flavored kind ie: strawberries n' cream, peaches n' cream etc) that they are loaded with sugar.

I just buy the big cans of plain oatmeal myself and throw a cup of water into the microwave with my oats and in a minute and a half I'm good to go.

Thats one thing Ive noticed with the flavored package of oatmeal,,lots of sugar.

you body requires more energy(calories) to process the steel cut oats with more fiber.

The glycemic load is the same but the glycemic index is higher with instant.

I use the instant Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal made by McCann's. It is the exact same thing as the Steel Cut Oats except it does not take an hour to make. I have no idea why people say not to use it. It has always done me good.

Besides the extra sugar.. Instant brands are highly processed, so your loosing alot of nutritional value, gaining alot of oxidative damage from heat, and toxicity from bleaching agents/chemicals used during processing.. And most processed foods are GMO's..

Besides the extra sugar.. Instant brands are highly processed, so your loosing alot of nutritional value, gaining alot of oxidative damage from heat, and toxicity from bleaching agents/chemicals used during processing.. And most processed foods are GMO's..

I had no idea it was that bad. The McCann's one I use says it has less than one gram of sugar per serving though. Are the carbs at least doing what they are supposed to be doing?

On the Go Oatmeal

Just found a great product at publix for those in a hurry. Made by Good food made simple pre-made frozen 100% steel cut Oatmeal come sweetened and original unsweetened 2 per package. a little pricy but convenient.

I have to agree with this. Its just part of the processing process. It doesnt mean that the instants aren't any good. The steelcut has to be a superior product.

I soak steel cut oats in a little tupperware container in frige, then in morning use a rice cooker & its cooked in 5 minutes

sent from Tapatalk 2

Costco carries a brand called "Coach's Oats" steel cut oatmeal. Cooks in 3 minutes in the microwave. No need for soaking or boiling water and it tastes great. You can find it in the cereal section.

Costco carries a brand called "Coach's Oats" steel cut oatmeal. Cooks in 3 minutes in the microwave. No need for soaking or boiling water and it tastes great. You can find it in the cereal section.

Ill be looking for this next time I'm in there

Here's the difference from Prevention Magazine:
**broken link removed**

stay away from the instant packages, to much sugar, just plain oats with water in the microwave, you can add flax meal, walnuts good to go. Steel cut takes too long with not much difference.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear