YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Your thoughts on having fruit within a bodybuilding diet?

LLcoolJ

Newbies
Can I have a piece of fruit as dessert at the end of every meal- they are healthy,tasty and full of fibre and they will help me not to snack on junk.

Im going to be on a low carb diet, so at the end of everymeal isit ok to have fruit? Iv'e read and heard that simple sugars such as fruit (fructose) cause a spike in insulin and this could result in catoblism? If I have my carbs (rice) and protein (fish) and then have a piece of fruit, will this still cause a spike in insulin?

im a bit confused to be honest, also what is ''spike in insulin''-main question being is fruit ok to have?

Not trying to hijack the thread

but what about 100% juices

What type of fruit are we talking about here?

Can I have a piece of fruit as dessert at the end of every meal- they are healthy,tasty and full of fibre and they will help me not to snack on junk.

Im going to be on a low carb diet, so at the end of everymeal isit ok to have fruit? Iv'e read and heard that simple sugars such as fruit (fructose) cause a spike in insulin and this could result in catoblism? If I have my carbs (rice) and protein (fish) and then have a piece of fruit, will this still cause a spike in insulin?

im a bit confused to be honest, also what is ''spike in insulin''-main question being is fruit ok to have?

I think you have it backwards, insulin secretion causes anabolism. The problem is too much at the wrong times can get you fat just like any carb , which essential gets broken down into glucose during digestion. (unless your glycogen depleted)

Nothing wrong with fruits around workout times and breakfast (times your most active). Fruit do contain fructose, but the majority of sugars in fruit is glucose. You can google for a chart of different fruits which will break down kind of sugars they contain percentage wise.

Last edited:
for me fruit is essential part of my diet , more than half my carbs come from fruit , carbs like rice and oats don't work well with me so I stick to fruit and sweet potatoes.

if your eating rice then you're not on a low carb diet !!

I did a series of test with differant carbs and their effect on my blood glucose and found that their isint that much difference at all between fruit and the old body building standby "brown rice"

Don't eat a piece of fruit at the end of every meal if you need to curb craving you need to just chew a piece of gum. plain and simple. It is ok to have a piece of grapefruit in the morn or a apple or a apple pre workout but otherwise I would stay away from the extra sugar. I would get my carbs from sweet potatoes brown rice or oatmeal also rice cakes.JMO

Last edited:
for me fruit is essential part of my diet , more than half my carbs come from fruit , carbs like rice and oats don't work well with me so I stick to fruit and sweet potatoes.

if your eating rice then you're not on a low carb diet !!

I did a series of test with differant carbs and their effect on my blood glucose and found that their isint that much difference at all between fruit and the old body building standby "brown rice"

Same here. Fruit pretty much makes up the carbs in my diet. I have a piece with every meal except the last one for the day. My last meal usually contains some type of large salad and mixed greens along with lean protein and a healthy fat.

Blueberries/blackberries, pineapple, any type of citrus...I love them all and have never had any issues with trying to drop weight and keeping them in my diet.

I usually stick to only 1 serving of fruit per day (unless it's a zero carb day). Strawberries are one of my favorites because there's not a whole lot of carbs in them. I love fruit but I feel bloated if I eat a ton of it.

I normally chuck in a piece or 2 of fruit everyday, when im dieting not so much....as i find fruit doesnt fill me up and it wastes a portion of my carbs that could probably be utilized with better carb sources...everyone is different though, carbs are carbs

Fruit and sweet potato my only carb sources other than cheat meal. Im not a low carber anyway and even when cutting i still eat 8-10 servings a day. Mostly oranges and bananas. Not saying your get in contest shape doing this but single digit bodyfat easy enough. Well for me anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I too consume alot of my carbs through fruit. Mainly strawberries, green apples, mandarins and bananas. I have irritable bowel and if I have too much rice/wheat based carbs in my diet I get a pretty sick stomach.
Not saying that I am cutting though but I am consistently 12% or below

I get 90% of my carbs from fruit and I'm lean year round. Rice and oats are inferior foods to fruits. Think I'm full of crap? Ask Phil Hernon.

Wow

Don't eat a piece of fruit at the end of every meal if you need to curb craving you need to just chew a piece of gum. plain and simple. It is ok to have a piece of grapefruit in the morn or a apple or a apple pre workout but otherwise I would stay away from the extra sugar. I would get my carbs from sweet potatoes brown rice or oatmeal also rice cakes.JMO

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Stay away from the extra sugar? Extra? Are you 250 lean? I was.......how you going to get huge if you dont have sugar? You guys dont realize how much sugar BIG MUSCLES need.........

Agree with the two posters above me.

Fruits let's me get my carbs, sweet cravings, and hungry sooner so I can eat more.

I like rice, too. Rice & fruits, mainly fruits though.

I eat fruit 7x a day. Do 30 min of cardio. And I'm close to contest shape. Fruit works better than most carbs. I eat so many mangos I'm gna turn orange. Those who say NOT to eat fruit just don't know what they are talking about.

Btw the fruit has tons of antioxidants in them too!!!

Agree with the two posters above me.

Fruits let's me get my carbs, sweet cravings, and hungry sooner so I can eat more.

I like rice, too. Rice & fruits, mainly fruits though.

This is another great thing about eating a lot of fruit. I never crave sugary processed shit anymore. Get all the sugar i need from fruit and the fibre makes it act more like a complex carb anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I very RARELY post on here; basically all my questions are answered or asked by someone else. But for this topic I will say that having been trained by Phil Hernon in the past (twice) FRUIT works!!!!!
I cut all other carbs besides greens out and added fruit, mainly berries and mangos; It worked and I was super lean.

rice and oats even some nuts don't agree with my body and cause me to "hold fat" which I assume is just subQ water retention from my body trying to fight off somthing it doesn't like.

I found that I'm gluten intolerant , not to the point it causes stomach sickness but causes water retention and inflammation when I eat to much for to long , a meal a day doesn't do much thank god cause I'm not giving up sushi but a cup of oats every AM will and brown rice a couple times a day for several days will definatly give me a watery look and feel

I've been slowly adding in some white rice to my diet that's suppose to be gluten free and so far so good , we'll see

alot of studys show that humans weren't designed to eat grains , and since I've been following the
"if you cant pick it or kill it don't eat it"
idea I feel better and look much better more easily !!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws