YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long-term effects of high protein diet / aas use on kidney function?

20sam91

Registered
I've been eating / drinking at least 300g of protein a day for about 7 years now (up to 450g when using aas) and was wondering what the consequences would be for my kidneys in the long term. I remember reading in shelbys ebook that most organs have a big reserve capacity but given so many bb'ers are on dialysis these days I'd rather be safe than sorry (though I presume this is likely from abusing aas). Anyone 'detox' in between cycles? If I backed it down to 100g / day for a while how long would it be before they regenerated? On my last bloodwork my doc said kidney function was fine btw but it's something that just been playing on my mind recently.

High blood pressure is the kidney killer, aas can contribute, everything Im seeing on protien is that its NOT damaging the kidneys.
But drugs that are high androgenic or just plain strong, like drol, halo, dbol, EQ(increased RBC) and tren you have to be mindful...and lets face facts- even if you are and your pushing the limits- you are taking a risk.
The thing to me is, its a decision you are taking when you decide to use aas, even responsible use can have consequences...if you go down that path, even carefully, you have to be accountable when things come up negatively healthwise.

Protein won't damage your kidneys until they are damaged. Best way to damage your kidneys is high bp. Keep your Bp in check always. And keep it lower end of normal. Even 130 is pushing systolic too high. Other ways to hurt kidneys are vasoconstricting them so they get less blood. They are very sensitive to low oxygen. NSAIDs can precipitate that

Protein won't damage your kidneys until they are damaged. Best way to damage your kidneys is high bp. Keep your Bp in check always. And keep it lower end of normal. Even 130 is pushing systolic too high. Other ways to hurt kidneys are vasoconstricting them so they get less blood. They are very sensitive to low oxygen. NSAIDs can precipitate that

I couldn't have said it better Ry.

So Tylenol is bad for the liver and ibuprofen is bad for your kidneys?

Good advice here. Keep BP under control and stay hydrated. Kidney's remove toxins and keep your body's ph where it should be. Kidney's can't function well without water! Its less stress on them. And something I have learned with my battle recently, you don't want those removed toxins sitting in your bladder for long periods of time... water! I have been on a hi-protein diet for a long time and my kidney function is fine. And I have labs to prove it.

Last edited:
Some great responses here, thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it but as my bp is well within range and I don't use big doses hopefully I'll be okay

Other ways to hurt kidneys are vasoconstricting them so they get less blood.

What would vasoconstrict kidneys? Stuff like ECA stack?

Blood pressure is the biggest concern for sure, BUT...

High protein diets can damage the kidneys, you just have to understand the mechanics. When you metabolize protein into energy, you create uric acid. This is perfectly fine for ANYONE, EXCEPT a bodybuilder/weightlifter.

Myoglobin is the problem here, in the presence of an acidic environment, myoglobin will clog and damage the kindeys. Bodybuilders easily train hard enough to release large amounts of myoglobin into the bloodstream.

The best solution is to watch your BUN level. Assuming you have been well hydrated leading up to the blood draw, your BUN level should be around 20 or less. Anything much past 20 and you are either not drinking enough water, or eating too much protein.

There is much more in depth information on myoglobin and the kidneys in previous posts of mine.

High protein diets can damage the kidneys, you just have to understand the mechanics. When you metabolize protein into energy, you create uric acid. This is perfectly fine for ANYONE, EXCEPT a bodybuilder/weightlifter.

Myoglobin is the problem here, in the presence of an acidic environment, myoglobin will clog and damage the kindeys. Bodybuilders easily train hard enough to release large amounts of myoglobin into the bloodstream.

The best solution is to watch your BUN level. Assuming you have been well hydrated leading up to the blood draw, your BUN level should be around 20 or less. Anything much past 20 and you are either not drinking enough water, or eating too much protein.

There is much more in depth information on myoglobin and the kidneys in previous posts of mine.

In addition to drinking a lot of water, what else can one do?
How about stuff like lemon juice and other foods that can buffer acidity ? If so, any specific ones you recommend?

Thanks for your time Bud

In addition to drinking a lot of water, what else can one do?
How about stuff like lemon juice and other foods that can buffer acidity ? If so, any specific ones you recommend?

Thanks for your time Bud

Water and anything that can reduce acidity.

What do recommend for protein intake (gms / lb)?

What do recommend for protein intake (gms / lb)?

Impossible to say because it's very individual AND dependent on so many factors. I like Chris Aceto's 1.2-1.5g/lb a lot as a general guideline. Dorian's guidelines were similar also. At 250lbs, I find that 300g of protein is more than enough for me, and that includes all sources not just my animal based sources. I might push up to 350g if I was in a growth state and eating 5k calories.

It just depends on so many factors, training volume, drugs, total calories, etc. Plus individual variations. Trail and error and bloodwork have been useful to me in determining my amounts personally.

Impossible to say because it's very individual AND dependent on so many factors. I like Chris Aceto's 1.2-1.5g/lb a lot as a general guideline. Dorian's guidelines were similar also. At 250lbs, I find that 300g of protein is more than enough for me, and that includes all sources not just my animal based sources. I might push up to 350g if I was in a growth state and eating 5k calories.

It just depends on so many factors, training volume, drugs, total calories, etc. Plus individual variations. Trail and error and bloodwork have been useful to me in determining my amounts personally.

I've been taking in 500g plus for many years. I think maybe I need to rethink my approach.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131