over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

T3 known to cause hairloss?

Slyder190

Registered
A female friend of mine was running T3 and she began noticing hairloss. Clumps coming out, and thinning of her hair. She stopped the T3, but is still pretty scared and upset by the situation. Can anyone give me some info on this? Is this common? Has it ever happened to anyone? Thank you for any replies.

i think any fluctuation in any of your hormones could cause you to lose some hair.

It happened to me with Armour

A female friend of mine was running T3 and she began noticing hairloss. Clumps coming out, and thinning of her hair. She stopped the T3, but is still pretty scared and upset by the situation. Can anyone give me some info on this? Is this common? Has it ever happened to anyone? Thank you for any replies.

its not the first time I hear that

not sure if hair loss could be a side effect of T3 :confused:

Definitely could have caused it. There's multiple different hormones that can cause hair loss/hair thinning when levels are out of whack.

You would have to check a PDR for exact side effects listed. T3 issues
can cause hair loss issues though.

Yes liothyronine will cause hair loss, more so in women than men.
T3(liothyronine) stimulates several hormones ie; DHEA,IGF-1,Insulin,Estradiol,Testosterone (in higher doses can inhibit testosterone) and Progesterone.

DHEA,Testosterone and Progesterone can all have an end point of metabolizing to DHT, when DHT binds to the receptors in the scalp, we tend to lose hair, this becomes very individualized as some people are more prone than others (mainly men speaking) with females hair loss is sometimes caused by androgenic alopecia, same concept as male pattern baldness.

It's generally temporary with hair loss while supplementing T3, unless she keeps bumping her dose up which will stimulate more aforementioned.

The flip side is some topical shampoos will put a trace amount of progesterone in it as a topical DHT inhibitor at the scalp site. There's a slight difference in between oral and transdermal progesterone, oral progesterone has a higher degree to metabolise to Testosterone (keep in mind very minimal) to where transdermal is very, very minimal.

She could try REVITA Shampoo to see if that helps.

Last edited:
I think, as Stewie stated, it was a snowball effect. One of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are a thickening and increased rate of hair growth. Hypothyroidism on the other hand causes thinning of hair.

I'd def say it threw out one of her other hormones.

did it reverse after stopping it??

classically hypothyroid causes hair loss and hyperthyroid causes hair thinning on extremeties.

Yes liothyronine will cause hair loss, more so in women than men.
T3(liothyronine) stimulates several hormones ie; DHEA,IGF-1,Insulin,Estradiol,Testosterone (in higher doses can inhibit testosterone) and Progesterone.

DHEA,Testosterone and Progesterone can all have an end point of metabolizing to DHT, when DHT binds to the receptors in the scalp, we tend to lose hair, this becomes very individualized as some people are more prone than others (mainly men speaking) with females hair loss is sometimes caused by androgenic alopecia, same concept as male pattern baldness.

It's generally temporary with hair loss while supplementing T3, unless she keeps bumping her dose up which will stimulate more aforementioned.

The flip side is some topical shampoos will put a trace amount of progesterone in it as a topical DHT inhibitor at the scalp site. There's a slight difference in between oral and transdermal progesterone, oral progesterone has a higher degree to metabolise to Testosterone (keep in mind very minimal) to where transdermal is very, very minimal.

She could try REVITA Shampoo to see if that helps.

Liothyronine: MedlinePlus Drug Information
This is one of the "possible" side effects. From Liothyronine (T3)

temporary hair loss, particularly in children during the first month of therapy

You will also notice another "possible" side effect is a change in menstrual cycle, this would be from the stimulation of both Estradiol and Progesterone

Last edited:
get yourself some caffeine shampoo and apply it to the balding spots ;) trust me, it helps, A LOT!

wait, if I think about it I never lost hair while I cycled but I lost A LOT while I was on T3. Well never touching T3 again.

get yourself some caffeine shampoo and apply it to the balding spots ;) trust me, it helps, A LOT!

wait, if I think about it I never lost hair while I cycled but I lost A LOT while I was on T3. Well never touching T3 again.

Does it come back after stopping t3?

Does it come back after stopping t3?

My hair shedding stopped and the caffeine shampoo did help growth on the front corner sides (forgot their proper name).

I have very long curly hair so it is very obvious when they are falling or when they are growing. Plus because it is really curly I can tell if its mine or someone elses. So I notice hair things very easily.

Also caffiene shampoo does dry your hair out. Go to sally's and get some matrix conditioner. It well last you right next to forever.

im so gald i dont get hairloss from any of this stuff. I'd be one ugly dude with no hair lol

I get a thyroid panel run periodically. I notice that if I am otherwise showing hypothyroid traits, increased shedding follows. If I adjust my thyroid to high, normal (T3 in upper 1/4 of normal range and T4 at least in upper 1/2 of normal range) by supplementing with T4/T3 combo, I notice shedding reduces and hair thickens.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws