over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Out of the gym- not by choice

aphextwin

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know a lot of you guys have had to spend time out of the gym due to injuries..etc. I pulled my lower back and side (lower area rib cage). Needless to say, I have been out of the gym two weeks since lifting will do further damage.

I'm thinking about heading to the chiro, but not sold of those types. The only way for the pain to go away is Ibuprofen. I've been on Tumeric, but doesn't seem to help.

Do you trust chiros?

30 yrs of Concrete will make the Chiropractor A Best Friend.

Find a chiro that does active release technique as well, it'll help

In the meantime while trying to book an apt.....I wonder if I should try taking more Turmeric

I know a lot of you guys have had to spend time out of the gym due to injuries..etc. I pulled my lower back and side (lower area rib cage). Needless to say, I have been out of the gym two weeks since lifting will do further damage.

I'm thinking about heading to the chiro, but not sold of those types. The only way for the pain to go away is Ibuprofen. I've been on Tumeric, but doesn't seem to help.

Do you trust chiros?

Chiropractic wasn't even recognized by the AMA until the 90s, sure there are good chiros but they are the exception, the original science of chiropractic is flawed and not based on science, even if the current version of it (non-adjustment based chiro) may be.

See a physical therapist! These are full doctors with unreal amounts of education in a very thorough and science-based medical profession! A good physical therapist will do everything a good chiro will do PLUS many other science-based therapies.

Acupuncture? NO, dry needling.

Vaccinations are bad? NO, they saved lives.

Chiropractor? NO, physical therapist.

Church? NO, hospital.

Naturopath? NO, MD.

Sorry, not sorry, to all the people who should have become physical therapists and accidentally picked chiropractic but do their best to do actual physical therapy, even with their more limited education.

I have a very good chiro and one thing I learned is not wait until your injured to go.I go in every two weeks for a tune up and has kept me injury free for years,at 58 years old and still training heavy and hard

Being a Chiropractor myself, I would say you should absolutely see a one. Look for someone who works with athletes as they will most likely incorporate a wide range of therapeutic modalities in adjunct to spinal/extremity adjustments (Active Release Technique, Cold Laser, Hyperbaric Chamber, Cryotherapy, Myofascial Acoustic Compression, etc...)

And I assure you, our education is far from "limited" in comparison to a PT.

A strained lower back can keep a person out of the gym. Guess I could have missed more time over the decades. I always worked around it without dueing more damage.

Are you sure there's nothing you can do in the gym without making it worse? I've had a lot of back issues/injuries over the years and the one thing that never helped (apart from the absolutely needed time off after say a spinal fusion surgery) was resting at home. Never. Even with a severely herniated disc in my lower back I found it to be better to continue training. Of course avoiding heavy compression at all costs at that stage. But hard training apart from that. Doctors used to advise bed rest for back issues but now they recommend moving instead.

As for a chiropractor, I know it's not science-based so I was always wary about it as well but in the end, the adjustments seemed to help me. Whether that's because they really help or because of some kind of self fulfilling prophecy I don't know but to be honest, I don't care either. It works for me so I'd recommend at least giving it a go.

Are you sure there's nothing you can do in the gym without making it worse? I've had a lot of back issues/injuries over the years and the one thing that never helped (apart from the absolutely needed time off after say a spinal fusion surgery) was resting at home. Never. Even with a severely herniated disc in my lower back I found it to be better to continue training. Of course avoiding heavy compression at all costs at that stage. But hard training apart from that. Doctors used to advise bed rest for back issues but now they recommend moving instead.

As for a chiropractor, I know it's not science-based so I was always wary about it as well but in the end, the adjustments seemed to help me. Whether that's because they really help or because of some kind of self fulfilling prophecy I don't know but to be honest, I don't care either. It works for me so I'd recommend at least giving it a go.

I have a bad back as well and as you know over time you learn of ways to work around it. Sure if it's really bad there is nothing you can really do and just lay in bed. But I have been training with a messed up back for years. As long as I am sensible with exercise selection and weights I am gtg. For an existing injury I would still be doing lot's of chest movements in machines that require no lifting of heavy db's and my back is supported in the machine. The same for arms. Legs can be tricky and lighter weight will have to be used and you have to ensure you don't move from the seat but you can still get a great pump workout.

Although we are probably a rare breed and it can be stupid training with an injury. It's not like all gains will be lost without training for a few weeks so if rest is needed take it. I am lying though I could barely lift my arm up the other day and was still shoulder pressing big weights :eek::D If you are used to it and know your body I find training can actually improve many injuries.

OP I would 100% see a good physical therapist that specializes in injury rehabilitation and techniques such as ART etc. I would also recommend still going after the injury goes to keep your back loose as it will prevent future injuries.

I have a bad back as well and as you know over time you learn of ways to work around it. Sure if it's really bad there is nothing you can really do and just lay in bed. But I have been training with a messed up back for years. As long as I am sensible with exercise selection and weights I am gtg. For an existing injury I would still be doing lot's of chest movements in machines that require no lifting of heavy db's and my back is supported in the machine. The same for arms. Legs can be tricky and lighter weight will have to be used and you have to ensure you don't move from the seat but you can still get a great pump workout.

Although we are probably a rare breed and it can be stupid training with an injury. It's not like all gains will be lost without training for a few weeks so if rest is needed take it. I am lying though I could barely lift my arm up the other day and was still shoulder pressing big weights :eek::D If you are used to it and know your body I find training can actually improve many injuries.

OP I would 100% see a good physical therapist that specializes in injury rehabilitation and techniques such as ART etc. I would also recommend still going after the injury goes to keep your back loose as it will prevent future injuries.

I can only agree, not only for my back injuries but for my injured right shoulder as well (SLAP-injury), training improves the injury. My shoulder is siginificantly worse off when I take time off. Gets stiff and even more unstable.

I can only agree, not only for my back injuries but for my injured right shoulder as well (SLAP-injury), training improves the injury. My shoulder is siginificantly worse off when I take time off. Gets stiff and even more unstable.

Every injury is different but I 100% agree. When I have 1 week off my back only gets worse. But by keeping it moving/loose it only helps matters. Granted the OP's situation is a bit different but by the sounds of things moving around more (even training in a certain way) could help matters.

OP when you first get injured that's when you should be trying to get the inflammation down. I would use cold packs and anti-inflammatories if needed. Cold packs reduce inflammation and accelerate the healing process.
Later on heat packs can be extremely useful but it's important to know when to use them as in some cases they can worsen things. Generally heat packs are best for muscle pain and/or stiffness. I am also a massive fan of volatren (Diclofenac) gel as it can be applied to the injuried area and does help greatly if used frequently.

training legs

For legs I now do belt squats because there is zero pressure on my vertebrae that way. No pain at all. If you have one of those available to you make it your new friend!

Another good leg workout comes from using what is called the "swing squat". That is a rare machine too though. if your gym has one, use it!

My low back is in pain every day now and I work around it, like the other guys here. Use machines for rows so you don't stress the low back.

I took 10 days off from the gym after I had my spine fused. Movement is generally a good thing and helps healing. They have heart patients up and walking as soon as they can.

I'm heading back in today. I'm going to go at it light and get the blood flowing

Chiropractic wasn't even recognized by the AMA until the 90s, sure there are good chiros but they are the exception, the original science of chiropractic is flawed and not based on science, even if the current version of it (non-adjustment based chiro) may be.

See a physical therapist! These are full doctors with unreal amounts of education in a very thorough and science-based medical profession! A good physical therapist will do everything a good chiro will do PLUS many other science-based therapies.

Acupuncture? NO, dry needling.

Vaccinations are bad? NO, they saved lives.

Chiropractor? NO, physical therapist.

Church? NO, hospital.

Naturopath? NO, MD.

Sorry, not sorry, to all the people who should have become physical therapists and accidentally picked chiropractic but do their best to do actual physical therapy, even with their more limited education.

exactly right on every point. i went to a quack chiro who told me i had a sublixated rib, and fucked me up worse.
cuz it was a torn rhomboid. fuckin idiot. went to a pt and holy shit. fixed me up right.
im amazed what willful ignorance can accomplish.

For legs I now do belt squats because there is zero pressure on my vertebrae that way. No pain at all. If you have one of those available to you make it your new friend!

Another good leg workout comes from using what is called the "swing squat". That is a rare machine too though. if your gym has one, use it!

My low back is in pain every day now and I work around it, like the other guys here. Use machines for rows so you don't stress the low back.

nice... i wish more gyms had these...

Went to a chiro for about 6 months after a bad accident, disnt nottice any difference, but have heard great things about them, accupunture, and massgaes, deep tissue massages seemed to help me the most

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws