over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BP Cuff size

M@NU

Registered
Hey guys,

just a small question for you:

right now, my bp cuff is size M-L for arms between 22 and 42cm.
my arm is 42 flexed and 37 "relaxed and straight".
if i use this cuff, my BP comes out between 137/75-142/82, so hypertension although im already on medication (candesartan)
if i use a XL cuff on the same maschine (arms between 32 and 52cm) my
bp, esp systolic, is between 12 and 18 points lower.

now my question:
which is the correct cuff for my arm?
my arms are in the range of both cuffs but yet they measure completely different.
what would you advise?
i do not want to increase my medication if it is not necessary
thanks!

Use the XL. You don't want to be right on the end ranges of a cuff. In nursing, I do this daily- My rule is when in doubt or if it's close to saying go up in size- up the size. Make sure you're using it properly, bring it somewhat taut, don't pump more than 30-40 above your systolic. Though I assume these are automatic, in which the advice is the same- larger cuff.

You gotta use the larger one for an accurate reading. I always insist on using the xl when I see the docs. It's about a 10 point difference for myself.

You gotta use the larger one for an accurate reading. I always insist on using the xl when I see the docs. It's about a 10 point difference for myself.

Agreed, use the XL. It makes a difference for me no question. I've compared the smaller one back to back with the XL and its a 10-15 point difference.

I don't think you can really have an error in the pressure reading by using a cuff that is too big, unless it is not applied tight enough and then the pressure would probably read too high.

Having a cuff too small will give high numbers. So I would go with the larger cuff if you are getting numbers different like that from both. Just be sure that the large cuff is snug on your arm like the smaller one is when you apply it.

I use a wrist cuff so it’s not an issue.

How has the accuracy on that been? Im always concerned it wont be accurate. If the measurements off that are close to what they get in the doctor's office then it is good.

If only all physicians knew this. I have to always tell them to use the largest cuff in the office on me or else they'd use the normal one and tell me I have hypertension :banghead:

If only all physicians knew this. I have to always tell them to use the largest cuff in the office on me or else they'd use the normal one and tell me I have hypertension :banghead:

Yeah, they always switch to a big one for me too, but the one I use at home isn't of special size and works just fine. It is an Omron auto cuff. My BP today was 106/60. That was about 2 hours after exercise. Always lower post exercise, and seems to last a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah, they always switch to a big one for me too, but the one I use at home isn't of special size and works just fine. It is an Omron auto cuff. My BP today was 106/60. That was about 2 hours after exercise. Always lower post exercise, and seems to last a long time.

I use Omron 10 series myself. I also have Life Source but I think the readings are get are much lower than in reality

I use Omron 10 series myself. I also have Life Source but I think the readings are get are much lower than in reality

Oh, you think the Omron gets artificially low readings? I think I will go use it again and then get my BP manually with a stethoscope. The hard thing for me though is hearing my heart beat since my bp is so low and the stethoscope is rather cheap. Ill report back my findings.

Omron vs Aneroid guage with stethoscope

Just compared the two and got:

Omron auto digital : 125/65

The old fashioned way: 117/68

I did each 2x. So those readings are quite close. I can see how maybe the microphone on the Omron picked up the heart beat at a lower volume than my ears could hear. Not sure why the systolic reading was a bit higher. I definitely didn't hear anything until 117, but again maybe the microphone is able to hear things before I can.

I think the Omron I have is quite accurate. The sphygmomanometer I use for the old manual method is a really big cuff too, in fact too big now really but works fine if I put it on right. It was even big back when my arms were up over 20 inches flexed.

I was surprised how well I could hear through the stethoscope tonight. I guess it is because my blood pressure has come up some. I had to lower the dose of some of my meds and get off some because it was too low years ago. It got down to about 98/50 and I felt like crap. When it was real low like that I could barely hear it. That is when I bought the Omron.

Oh, notice how my BP was lower a few hours after exercise today. It was 106/60 and now about 11 hours after finishing exercise it is back up to 125/65 Blood vessels dilate during exercise and persist in that state for awhile after exercise, so don't measure your bp after you exercise, bp will be lower than normal for you.

Last edited:
Oh, you think the Omron gets artificially low readings? I think I will go use it again and then get my BP manually with a stethoscope. The hard thing for me though is hearing my heart beat since my bp is so low and the stethoscope is rather cheap. Ill report back my findings.

Nooo, the Life Source monitor gives me really low readings. The Omron 10 series gives me similar readings as the doctor’s office. I even brought it in once to compare. I think Omron 10 is the best

Nooo, the Life Source monitor gives me really low readings. The Omron 10 series gives me similar readings as the doctor’s office. I even brought it in once to compare. I think Omron 10 is the best

I am happy with it. It seems really close to what I can measure on my own the old fashioned way and it a lot more simple to do. The cuff that comes with it is big enough for my arm too. Seems its ok for you too. I think the cuff is plenty big for most guys on here. The arm size they give in the literature with it is based on how big around your arm is when relaxed and straight out, just like it is when you measure BP. Don't remember the guidelines on the cuff size that comes with it. I think we basically have the same one.

so i have read quite a bit regarding bodybuilding and bp the last few days.
some more information i have found from medical staff who also weightlifts:
the part of the cuff that "pumps up" should cover atleast 85% of your upper arm. My old cuff covered around 60% i would guess. The new one fits perfectly although next time i should maybe go for the even larger one (XL and not L-XL)
- due to the muscle tissue, most devices overestiimate the systolic bp. (has something to do with the difference in compression for fatty and muscle tissue and those devices are made for the "huge population", not weightlifters with over average muscle mass. Chances are high that if you have isolated systolic BP (only upper number increased) that it is false reading/an overestimation of your device..
-and you should NEVER take your BP if you have a great pump in your arm or if you generally feel "pumped". this alone lets the number explode!! readings 30mmhg over your "normal" are not rare!!
(maybe try it once, i did 30min after arms and it was fun to watch xD)
--> best time is probably in the morning, 10-15min after waking up (right after waking up is not perfect either because your body is "working" to turn the machines on xD)

maybe some1 finds this interesting, i did :D

Last edited:
Just my experience but the wrist cuffs always give me crazy high measurements and I always tell the doctor to wait five minutes while I relax before they take my blood pressure because I’m prone to white coat syndrome and I’m also pretty big so sometimes it takes a while for me to just relax and get an accurate reading.

Food for thought.

Last time I got mine checked between the course of five minutes my systolic dropped 20 points as I relaxed.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws