over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

USB Ports Not Working

dewyd

Registered
Hey:

My USB ports stopped working yesterday and I don't have a clue why? I can't use my printer like I normally do with a cable attached to a USB port. I have 4 USB ports an none of them work currently. They all worked before.

I went into my device manager and I see Yellow exclamation points next to the following:
1. 7 Universal Serial Bus Controllers. [Code 19]
2. isatap.hsd1.comcast.net. [code 31]
3. 6T04 Adapter. [code 31]
4. Winbond CIR Transceiver. [code 19].
These 4 code issues are from Windows: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration [in the registry] is incomplete or damaged."

I did a Kaspersky GSI Parser Report and was in the red initially. I downloaded a cleaner to clean up some of my temp files, which got rid of most of my excess baggage, with the exception of one item. My GSI report was yellow. I uninstalled and reinstalled a updated version of 2010 KIS 9.0.0.736, and I am now in the green [good to go]. Good with security, but I still have the above USB port problem and can't use my printer, or my flash drive. Drivers appear to be up to date.

I have a Acer laptop using Windows 32 bit Vista system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
do you have a brand name computer? or home built? what o.s are you running?

if brand name i.e dell gateway etc then go to the brands website, click on support, enter your model number, and look in driver downloads. try to redownload the usb driver, and install.

if brand name i.e dell gateway etc then go to the brands website, click on support, enter your model number, and look in driver downloads. try to redownload the usb driver, and install.

+1 ... reinstalling the driver has worked for me

Acer laptop. I uninstalled the bus drivers, going to reboot soon to see if windows re-installs them w/o the yellow exclamation points? I tried to update the bus drivers, but I got messages that I had the latest drivers? So...? Working on it.

Last edited:
+1 ... reinstalling the driver has worked for me

When you say "reinstalling the driver", are you talking about reinstalling the one uninstalled? Or reinstalling a updated driver from a computer manufacturer?

I uninstalled my bus controllers, shut down, and rebooted and Windows tried to fix them, but failed...so what now? Any clue?

Unplug everything, shut off laptop..take BATTERY OUT.. let sit for 15-20 mnutes then put battery back in and connect your usb wires; mouse, etc and should be fixed. Let me know if that works.

do a system restore to back to the day before you had the problem....done

Unplug everything, shut off laptop..take BATTERY OUT.. let sit for 15-20 mnutes then put battery back in and connect your usb wires; mouse, etc and should be fixed. Let me know if that works.

Tried that, but my flash drive and printer do not register at all. I uninstalled my canon printer drivers and reinstalled the appropriate drivers from the printer manufacturer, now my printer can't be found...Cool? Two days now no printer and I have paperwork to get out...not good. Thanks for the reply though.

Tried that, but my flash drive and printer do not register at all. I uninstalled my canon printer drivers and reinstalled the appropriate drivers from the printer manufacturer, now my printer can't be found...Cool? Two days now no printer and I have paperwork to get out...not good. Thanks for the reply though.

Damn dude sorry, that usually fixes these mystery laptop issues.

Good luck.

Right click My computer. Go to Properties. Then click on the 'Advanced' tab. You will see "Environmental Variables" button. Create a new SYSTEM variable as follows:

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Set the value to "1" without quotes.

Unplug all USB devices. Reboot.

Go into Device Manager, then click View / "Show Hidden Devices". Without the variable I just told you just set, you will not see everything. Under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", right click and uninstall all greyed out, inactive devices. If it asks if you want to delete the driver as well specify NO or just dont check the box. You can peruse through all of Device Manager uninstalling things that are greyed out, but do not uninstall greyed out things that are under "Sound, Video And Game Controllers" or under "Non-Plug And Play Devices". All else should be fine to remove. Then reboot. Once booted, plug each device in one at a time, allowing for the drivers to mount correctly with patience.

Last edited:
Right click My computer. Go to Properties. Then click on the 'Advanced' tab. You will see "Environmental Variables" button. Create a new SYSTEM variable as follows:

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Set the value to "1" without quotes.

Unplug all USB devices. Reboot.

Go into Device Manager, then click View / "Show Hidden Devices". Without the variable I just told you just set, you will not see everything. Under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", right click and uninstall all greyed out, inactive devices.

If it asks if you want to delete the driver as well specify NO or just don't check the box. You can peruse through all of Device Manager uninstalling things that are grayed out, but do not uninstall grayed out things that are under "Sound, Video And Game Controllers" or under "Non-Plug And Play Devices". All else should be fine to remove. Then reboot.

R. When I reboot is it OK to use hibernate or shut down? I use hibernate so I don't have to go through the process of getting everything back up again, is that OK?.

Once booted, plug each device in one at a time, allowing for the drivers to mount correctly with patience.

Appreciate your time and reply. If I can just keep my focus on your directions I'm OK, but I keep getting distracted with that pic! I would like to check/click her "Environmental Variables" button! Fer shure! Like that little toe lift...hello?

One mistake I made in following your directions was that I clicked "User variables for Acer", and entered the DEVMGR_SHOW_ NOPRESENT_DEVICES, as opposed to the system variable. That's probably why I did not see the "grayed out areas" initially. I deleted that entry, and put the command in the appropriate SYSTEM variable, shut down, and rebooted and saw the grayed out areas, deleted same, but I am still getting the same error code 19 & 31 messages.
When I go to update the drivers, I get two options: 1. Is Windows searches online for the latest updates, then I get a message that my drivers are up to date, or 2. I get the option to browse my computer for driver software, and when I do I get the code 19 deal. So I don't know if I did anything wrong in following your directions, or I need to do something else?

Last edited:
Sounds like you simply do not have the correct drivers. What are you trying to hook up, and what is the exact name and model? Remember only plug in one at a time and let them mount correctly prior to plugging in another one. Also, if you are hooking a modem directly up to it, remove it and install a router in beteen. Then use a network cable instead. Less of a burden and should run much faster. I would suggest a Linksys WRT54GL and refirmware it with DD-WRT from dd-wrt.com. If you do this, the cable modem will need to be rebooted to see the new MAC address from the nre router instead of the original mount it had on your computer.

Last edited:
Hey:

My USB ports stopped working yesterday and I don't have a clue why? I can't use my printer like I normally do with a cable attached to a USB port. I have 4 USB ports an none of them work currently. They all worked before.

I went into my device manager and I see Yellow exclamation points next to the following:
1. 7 Universal Serial Bus Controllers. [Code 19]
2. isatap.hsd1.comcast.net. [code 31]
3. 6T04 Adapter. [code 31]
4. Winbond CIR Transceiver. [code 19].
These 4 code issues are from Windows: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration [in the registry] is incomplete or damaged."

I did a Kaspersky GSI Parser Report and was in the red initially. I downloaded a cleaner to clean up some of my temp files, which got rid of most of my excess baggage, with the exception of one item. My GSI report was yellow. I uninstalled and reinstalled a updated version of 2010 KIS 9.0.0.736, and I am now in the green [good to go]. Good with security, but I still have the above USB port problem and can't use my printer, or my flash drive. Drivers appear to be up to date.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Just very recently I had the same problem on my laptop.
My ports and my web cam and my pointing device just stopped functioning.
I went to get it fixed cause everything I tried did not worked, I did all and more than what you did....
The technician said that it would cost more money to buy the burned parts than a new laptop it self....
since only the usb ports are important to me He suggested I just buy an external bus, it has 4 ports and it costed maybe 30 bucks. Good luck

Sounds like you simply do not have the correct drivers. What are you trying to hook up, and what is the exact name and model? Remember only plug in one at a time and let them mount correctly prior to plugging in another one. Also, if you are hooking a modem directly up to it, remove it and install a router in beteen. Then use a network cable instead. Less of a burden and should run much faster. I would suggest a Linksys WRT54GL and refirmware it with DD-WRT from dd-wrt.com. If you do this, the cable modem will need to be rebooted to see the new MAC address from the nre router instead of the original mount it had on your computer.

Thanks Kaiser it could be I have the wrong drivers. I downloaded the latest printer drivers from the printer manufacturer [Canon MP190]. Basic printer.
I'll recheck everything again to see if they were installed correctly. I have been using the same new printer for 10 months previously with no problems.

I am just trying to, but can't get anything to work from my USB ports. They simply stopped working for no apparent reason to me? Trying to hook up whatever I put in the USB ports, printer, or flash drive.

I have a modem, and a Linksys WRT54G router, connecting my laptop. I admit I have limited computer knowledge, but just curious what the router, modem, etc. have to do with the USB ports working or not?

I will recheck everything. I have been at it for the past week, and it gets pretty old real quick.

Again, I appreciate your time and help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Just very recently I had the same problem on my laptop.
My ports and my web cam and my pointing device just stopped functioning.
I went to get it fixed cause everything I tried did not worked, I did all and more than what you did....
The technician said that it would cost more money to buy the burned parts than a new laptop it self....
since only the usb ports are important to me He suggested I just buy an external bus, it has 4 ports and it costed maybe 30 bucks. Good luck

Thanks Gin I will take that in consideration, if I can't fix my ports. What caused the burnt parts, a power surge, overload?

Thanks Gin I will take that in consideration, if I can't fix my ports. What caused the burnt parts, a power surge, overload?

Well, I didn't know that every single day before turning the laptop comletely off with the (power) button is harmfull...
I was told that just putting the laptop in hibernation and closing the screen is enough and it's the way to go.
So I was told that every time you turn the laptop on it goes through some checks and stuff and overtime it overheated........
I really don't know how it works with desktops cause I never had one but at friends I don't ever see them turning their box and screen off.
Funny cause I just spoke to my sister and she started to have the same problem as us, I will let you know if my methood will work or not later on today...

USB Ports not working??

Well, I didn't know that every single day before turning the laptop comletely off with the (power) button is harmful...
I was told that just putting the laptop in hibernation and closing the screen is enough and it's the way to go.
So I was told that every time you turn the laptop on it goes through some checks and stuff and overtime it overheated........
I really don't know how it works with desktops cause I never had one but at friends I don't ever see them turning their box and screen off.
Funny cause I just spoke to my sister and she started to have the same problem as us, I will let you know if my method will work or not later on today...

Well, I guess I am not clear on that either? My thinking is you turn it off...you turn it off? Doe's it matter how you turn it off? I usually turn it off in hibernation mode if I have stuff on my screen I want to save, finish, or continue reading, researching, drafting a paper on the word processor, etc.

If I don't have anything on my screen I want to continue the next day, I just turn it off using the shutdown mode either through the Windows start icon on the lower left part of the screen, or hitting the on/off button under my screen. That's why its there...power ON/OFF...no? Or is "LOG OFF" better/safer?

I would think this would be the normal way to shutdown my [laptop]. If someone here believes this is incorrect, please enlighten me?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws