over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Career in IT???

Steve123

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Guys,

Let's say you're at a cross road career wise. You want to put an IT spin on your business skills. Say you spent the last 15 years in Benefits OUtsourcing - 401k, Health Benefits, Pension, HR.

Where's the money going to be in Technology?

SAP?
Data Base/Data Analysis? Maybe Oracle Bootcamp or something?
MS Certifications?
Security?

Picture your a guy whose been completely destroyed by the economy and is starting from scratch. What would you do?

Problem now is that the field is so vast compared to when I started. You almost have to be spacialized in one area now as learning the majority is very very hard in a normal time period. As for what company to stand behind; well I work with what sells in the corporate world and that is Microsoft products. I would never go into school right now for Oracle over SQL server, as Oracle simply does not pay like it used to. You would also need to learn Solaris or Unix operating system, if you do not know it, at that point because Oracle's footprint running on Windows is very small. You will not want to get into development unless you are talking web code as programming like C++ has a 7 year window before you are actually worth your weight. At this point I would go with what is always needed and what I love to do, which is Active Directory. If you want something on the application side I would go with Sharepoint as portals are really making their way main stream and they constantly need maintenance which would include an SQL background.

Now there is an alternative; you could learn development on Google or Apple smart phones, but again, programming takes the longest to get a experience. In other words, what takes 3 years experience to make money in database administration, takes 7 years in programming because the knowledge intensity is much more for programming.

Guys,

Let's say you're at a cross road career wise. You want to put an IT spin on your business skills. Say you spent the last 15 years in Benefits OUtsourcing - 401k, Health Benefits, Pension, HR.

Where's the money going to be in Technology?

SAP?
Data Base/Data Analysis? Maybe Oracle Bootcamp or something?
MS Certifications?
Security?

Picture your a guy whose been completely destroyed by the economy and is starting from scratch. What would you do?

IT is such a broad field today its ridiculous.

IT security if you can get in somewhere is an ever growing and evolving field both income wise and industry wise...

IT is such a broad field today its ridiculous.

IT security if you can get in somewhere is an ever growing and evolving field both income wise and industry wise...

Problem with that is you have to be fairly articulate at the whole broad field of IT to be able to protect it. That takes a lot of schooling and a long time to learn. There is no room for second best in this field and there are no second chances. Just ask Playstation Network. LOL

I am a director at a large IT consulting company(mostly gov't) The next big boom in 3-5 years in IT will be security especially for medical. I am pushing my company to pursue medical IT contracts and development. We have just started consulting on secure communications for passing MRI data from one facility to another. If you thing security is too much work then Voice would be your best bet. But to be good at Voice you need to know R&S.

Anything with routers and firewalls will do you well Look up General Dynamics they do a lot of stuff with Military and pay very well. You could also deploy and get paid a lot more. ITT is another company of here in Afghanistan.

Ive been in security for about 10 years now. ive worked in the DOD spectrum for many of them and can tell you about the demand. Firewall, IDS, IPS, and anything security protocol driven is money. CISSP and CISM's are getting paid big time these days.. but get ready to deal with competition because its booming lately. Consider the multiple domains of security and you will get an idea...heres my list.

Web API programming
Information security Engineers
Information security Penetration testing (paid hackers) or "ethical hackers"
last one is fun and is actually cool....buddy gets paid about 20k every 3 months to hack a company and provide full analysis and exploited data to them in a template form...every 3 months he runs a scan for about 1 week... Bam 20k.

Its funny a short while ago I was at the same crossroads. I ended up getting hired with a big player in the whole cloud game. Initially I was doing Security/TechOps. However, the Shipping and Receiving Manager went on L&I and they asked me to step in. I knew next to nothing about what to do but had the overall smarts. Anyway, the guy never returned to work [took early retirement]. Bottom line now I'm the S&R manager for the data center and I actually make more than anyone with my old job title/duties by a fair bit.

I work in IT as a Project Manager and theres loads of demand for good PM's. If youve got good knowledge of business and how IT can benefit it then you might want to look into the project side of things.

Good luck with whatever road you take.

I am a Network Supervisor for a Hospital. Security has been a MAJOR focus for us. HIPAA and PCI compliance. Security is where the $$$ is at but you better know your stuff.

Security or like the above gent mentioned PMs or the combination of both. Research the CISSP and CEH. Ive got 15 years in the cybercrime realm and can tell you about the shit you guys dont want to know.....They pay big bucks for Security since you can never mitigate all risks...."Shon Harris"

Probably the highest paid female in IT for a reason...

Steve,

I was in the construction field for many years and was laid off for the obvious. I went back to school at the age of 45, and I am now a junior in college getting my BS in IT. As others have mentioned, IT is such a broad field. You really need to get your feet wet to decide what area of IT you want to practice.

Personally, I did not know much about the field when I started. I could search the web, I knew a little about Microsoft Office and Project 2007, and that was it. I just knew that I needed to make a career change and I wanted to chase technology because of its potential. So, after two years of college I still do not know what I want to do, not 100%. Although, I am getting much closer as it is a long road. I recently obtained employment for the first time in the IT field. I got my A+ and Net+ certs from school. However, after working as an IT technician for the past five months, I can tell you that it is not the area I want to pursue. It's just not for me.

I have taken a couple of programming and database (C++ and PowerShell) and I believe that programming/database is the area I should pursue. Security is another area of interest, I will be taking an advanced security class in the fall which will help in the decision making process. However, after talking to some "Experts" in the field, you better be ready to indulge your life into it 24\7, especially in the beginning.

One thing I have found out since working in the field is this. Whatever area of IT you choose... get a degree. Some of the people that have been mentoring me, and people I work with have been in the field for a very long time. They are very intelligent people and know their job well. They started in the business back in the 70's and 80's and are just now going back to college to get a degree because the field demands it. At least if you ever want to get prompted.

The best advice I can give with my little experience is to read, read, read, talk to as many professionals in the field as you can, and take a couple of classes to see if it is what you want.

Ive been in IT for, well almost 33 years. Started in '79 as a printer operator in a mainframe shop. Took a couple of programming courses and got hired on as a programmer for IBM / AMDAHL mainframes. I loved it, programmed ALC (machine language) primarily, but dabbled with COBOl (too much like english) and others. It takes a special personality to sit at a desk and pound out 8 hours of code on a daily basis. I wrote some programs that were 6 or more months from analysis/design to implementation. When pcs and networking started to develope, I changed my focus and worked with a company installing networks and pc construction/maintenance, etc. Studied and became a CNA with Novell. That kept me busy for a few years until Windows started to become mainstream. Seeing this, I took some Microsoft classes, starting with Windows 95 and Windows NT. I began building Windows based networks for companies in my area, everything from pulling cable to purchasing servers and workstations to installing and instructing on software. I eventually was hired to be the IT Director for a city, and in the next 11 years I completely automated and entire city, including City Hall, LIbrary, Police, Airport, Public Works, Animal Control, etc. During this time I became certified A+ and Network Plus. I found a Microsoft Certified training center and took all the classes my budget could afford.
Microsoft and Cisco certifications are marketable. I agree with whats been posted, VM ware is the future. Web developement / design still has a good share in the want ads, but I dont know the pay scale. IT changes so rapidly, that you really can never lay down the education hat. If nothing else, thirty plus years has taught me that.

Anything to do with SAN Storage........EMC storage arrays, Cisco SAN switches, Disaster Recovery (SRDF, FCIP).....all this = big $$$

I agree w/ the VMWare comments...and who owns them? Oh yeah...it's EMC.

I should know...it's what I do for a living and have been for the last 10+ years.

Last edited:
SAP gets you paid, I also know a couple of Security\Asset PRotection COnsultants that bank.

Another vote for IT Security. Of course getting your CISSP may be tough, because you need 5 years before you can sit for the test, but you have to start somewhere.

i guess I am lucky as much of the info I know is proprietary to the company I work for. I started out as a retail spvr for the company and became the onsite technician. we have locations worldwide and under different names. I take care of 14 networked facilities here...mostly POS type sites...while some are admin. Some sites are far away and i have to stay overnight.

i only have a AA in Computer studies too. but I know my way around a system enough to keep them running and i always have the HQ in Tokyo to bail me out if I get stuck...which is rare unless it is related to programming...I know little DOS, JAVA and HTML...that is it!

If you wanna see where the money is going, jump on monster.com and search for big name tech vendor certifications. Look up a top vender certification list and search on those. With experience, it's not difficult to pull over 100k in a W2 job.

Industry is going big data center tech now, and security.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws