over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

help creating bootable linux cd

getbig84

Registered
ive tried knoppix and it loads up then the screen goes black

ne one know a better linux OS

OK i got ubuntu to work but is everything saved to this cd or is it still go to the hard drive somehow? .... i didnt not install ne thing on the computer except for the iso image

Sounds like you're looking for a Linux Live CD. I've used them in the past to extend system partitions and such. I've had success with Knoppix and GRML. This link will show you all of the Live distros available.

List of live CDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what do u guys use for changing ip addy

If you're worried about your IP being traced back to you, you can make use of a proxy server. Plenty of info on the web regarding this.

thanks ill check out the proxies... do know if all the info stays on the cd or does it some how make it to ur hard drive

with the cd in the hard drive doesnt sound like its working just the cdrom drive

does cache or ne other info go onto the hard drive when running live cd

i like the live cd it seems like its not loading slower ...

does cache or ne other info go onto the hard drive when running live cd

No...most of them create a RAM drive that will be gone once the computer is shutdown. If you truly want a session based user experience that will be gone once the computer is shutdown....these LIVE CD's will work for you. Other options are to run Virtual Machines based off of snapshots (point in time user state data). This way once you shut down your VM, nothing is saved and you use the snapshot as a restore point.

No...most of them create a RAM drive that will be gone once the computer is shutdown. If you truly want a session based user experience that will be gone once the computer is shutdown....these LIVE CD's will work for you. Other options are to run Virtual Machines based off of snapshots (point in time user state data). This way once you shut down your VM, nothing is saved and you use the snapshot as a restore point.

thanks... it doesnt sound like the hard drive is running when i have the cd in...the cd-rom will start up a few times when i click on different things ..just want to make sure nothing saves to the computer

Unless it gone bad, your hd will be running the entire time you have your pc on. I think you were meaning to say that the activity light never came on, or that you never heard anything being written to disk. I suppose some hibernation modes might allow the hd to go into a sleep state in a laptop, but I'm not familiar with that functionality / operation. Of course now you have solid state drives without moving parts, just dense populations of non-volatile memory, ie. it doesnt lose its data like RAM when its powered off. No noise, bearings, read/write heads, or spinning platters.

On a side note, in the 70s when I worked for a mainframe shop, it took an entire room of spinning platter clusters on elevated air conditioned floors to provide as much storage as you find on a telephones sd card. Memory was expensive, thus programs were written to use as little memory as possible, thus the Y2K problems. All years were two digits, assuming the starting point was 1900. When the century turned over, 2001 would look like 1901, etc.

One more thing, isnt a ram drive generated in 2mg chunks on the systems hard drive? I might be thinking of virtual memory, either way, it is released after use and/or power is cycled on the pc. Nothing retained.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner