over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are 3d glasses worth the expense?

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
We have a new 55 inch samsung 7000 series now and I am considering buying the 3d glasses by samsung. I have seen mixed reviews. Some claiming they are very flimsy and really easy to crack the lens. The "cheap" ones you cannot recharge and cost about $70 and then there are 2 that are rechargeable and cost $79 and $129. I dont understand why the 2 rechargables have such a big cost difference, anyone know? It also looks like you have to buy a charging hub for them?

Are these things worth the cost? For our family of 4 these are going to run between $280 and $516! Seems nuts especially if they are really fragile.

Why didn't your Samsung come with the glasses?

My 63" Samsung came with 4 pairs. They're not fragile at all. They're exactly like normal sunglasses. And you recharge them through their USB on your laptop or the tv.

And once you start watching 3D shows, especially sports, normal TV will seem plain and boring. Think VHS to BluRay.

WoW Big A! You are the first and only person that I've ever heard say anything positive about #D tv's. I have a 65" 3d plasma and I used it once and that was enough.

My 63" Samsung came with 4 pairs. They're not fragile at all. They're exactly like normal sunglasses. And you recharge them through their USB on your laptop or the tv.

And once you start watching 3D shows, especially sports, normal TV will seem plain and boring. Think VHS to BluRay.

I got the same TV. Came with 5 pairs of glasses and 3d Blu Ray player. Had it for a year now.

Some movies look amazing ( animated movies always crstal clear 3d) then others total crap- background 3d is blurry. Some good 3d ps3 games now.

I got it as soon as they came out here bout 18mnths ago. They have 3d Blu ray projectors no that look pretty sweet.

Last edited:

I think some of the early released 3d tvs had the glasses package but none of them now seem to come with them. The prices on the tvs have come down, perhaps this is partly due to not coming with glasses?

So as far as charging them I can just plug them into any USB, thats good to know. I saw a charging station that samsung makes for $90 which might be more convenient, and it says it can charge up to 4 at once. somehow its wireless. Not sure how that works.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Wireless+Charging+Hub+for+Samsung+3D+Active+Glasses/2535333.p?id=1218334193386&skuId=2535333&st=samsung 3d glasses&cp=1&lp=3

So you found the glasses not to be too fragile? I was seeing reports of people having them crack from simply trying to clean the lenses, I guess they pushed too hard or something. Guess Im a bit worried about having my girls use them, they are aged 8 and 9 yrs old. They are both responsible though and tend to listen to what I tell them.

I will probably break down and get this technology. Im just unsure which rechargables to get. $50 difference between these 2 models.
**broken link removed**

Big A, how does the 3d compare to movies you see in theaters? I particularly liked Disney's A Christmas Carol

You need to watch movies/programs filmed in 3D from the start. The cable 3D channels are great for that.

Movies that were filmed normally and then converted to 3D are shit. Hardly any difference, blurry parts on the screen, etc. If you watch the screen of those without the glasses, you can still see rather clearly what's going on. If something was filmed straight up in 3D, when you take the glasses off, it's just a big blur, but then it looks insane with the glasses on.

Obviously, the HDMI cable has to be top shelf too. No point having a good TV and a good player, only to have a cheap ass cable. The quality of the picture will be as good as your weakest link. I found the gold cables to be the best, but you are paying $200 for a 1.5m (5 feet) cable.

I find the quality of the 3D on the screen to be way better than at the movies, simply because it's so much clearer on a plasma/LED.

The glasses are not any more fragile than normal sunglasses.

All my glasses are rechargeble or can be used with batteries.

I got my system in 2010. I was on the waiting list for it before they came into the country. The package came with the 3D BluRay player and the glasses.

My advice would be is to get the cheapest yet effective sets of glasses you can find (eBay or amazon) so that you and your girls can get some use out of it before you have to upgrade to a 4k display!!! IMO 3D is still gimikey and the manufacturers gave it to us to hold us over until they can perfect their new 4k stuff. I have seen quite a bit of 4k stuff here at CES and an 8k from sharp that is really undiscribable. I think this will be the future, not 3D. Don't get me wrong though cause I do love the added depth that 3D brings when it's done right but I hate the "cheap tricks" like swords from pirates coming at you!

My advice would be is to get the cheapest yet effective sets of glasses you can find (eBay or amazon) so that you and your girls can get some use out of it before you have to upgrade to a 4k display!!! IMO 3D is still gimikey and the manufacturers gave it to us to hold us over until they can perfect their new 4k stuff. I have seen quite a bit of 4k stuff here at CES and an 8k from sharp that is really undiscribable. I think this will be the future, not 3D. Don't get me wrong though cause I do love the added depth that 3D brings when it's done right but I hate the "cheap tricks" like swords from pirates coming at you!

When are 8k Displays going to be for sale?

Im not sure what you mean by a 4k and 8k display. Is that the horizontal lines of resolution? So today's 1920 standard lines is going to more than double to the 4k and then more than 4x at 8k?
Ive not heard of screens with that kind of resolution. I take it there will be computer monitors with that kind of resolution too? My 27 inch I use now has 1920 crammed into it. A big 55 inch with 4k would have about the same density then as my monitor?
Seems like just when you think you have the state of the art, the next year it is yesterday's news! Our new 55 inch LED is great though. I bought a less expensive 46 inch LED for the basement and we had the store haul off our old HD tv. THe old tv was a SONY XBR hd television about 12 yrs old or so. It was a 32 inch CRT that freakin weighed 185 lbs! It was a workout just lifting it out of the entertainment center! I put on my weight belt to do it,lol. When we bought that it was state of the art and cost $2200.

You need to watch movies/programs filmed in 3D from the start. The cable 3D channels are great for that.

Movies that were filmed normally and then converted to 3D are shit. Hardly any difference, blurry parts on the screen, etc. If you watch the screen of those without the glasses, you can still see rather clearly what's going on. If something was filmed straight up in 3D, when you take the glasses off, it's just a big blur, but then it looks insane with the glasses on.

Obviously, the HDMI cable has to be top shelf too. No point having a good TV and a good player, only to have a cheap ass cable. The quality of the picture will be as good as your weakest link. I found the gold cables to be the best, but you are paying $200 for a 1.5m (5 feet) cable.

I find the quality of the 3D on the screen to be way better than at the movies, simply because it's so much clearer on a plasma/LED.

The glasses are not any more fragile than normal sunglasses.

All my glasses are rechargeble or can be used with batteries.

I got my system in 2010. I was on the waiting list for it before they came into the country. The package came with the 3D BluRay player and the glasses.

Good to know they glasses arent as fragile as others make them sound. Our cable here doesnt have 3d channels. Maybe some of the satelite companies have that? We use Time-Warner here.

We have a new 55 inch samsung 7000 series now

Looking at the same model to wall mount in my home...I think it's UN55D7050...seems feature loaded. I am not super into the 3D but would like the option...
What do you think of the TV quality and features??

Looking at the same model to wall mount in my home...I think it's UN55D7050...seems feature loaded. I am not super into the 3D but would like the option...
What do you think of the TV quality and features??

its great, i think that is the one we have. I have it connected with ethernet and you can of course do lots online. The remote is awesome, it is 2 sided and on the back of it there is a full keyboard with functions of it for the internet. they keyboard side even has a small display to show what you are typing out. the picture is just great, best ive ever seen. I especially like the darks. plenty of brightness. The tv is really thin and sleek. I highly recommend it.
BTW, I got ours from HHgreg. Not sure if you have one near you but I recommend getting their 5 yr warranty. 3 yrs ago I spend $2200 on a 46 inche samsung 46" and about 1 month ago the LCD starting going bad. I called the warranty company and in less than 2 weeks I had a brand new tv sitting in our family room! They let me upgrade from my old 46 inch to a 55 inch, and not only that I went from lcd to led and 120 hz to 240 hz 3d with zero cost to me. they also threw in another 5 year warranty and free delivery too! Felt like I had to put in a good word for HHgreg. If you have one near you the warranty is worth every dollar. Heck, if this tv goes bad like the last one i will have another new tv. So I got that 7000 series LED for free!

That should be half the price in 12mnths.

But when are they going to start filming in that definition?

I want one. The LG 85in sounds good :)

Yeah, thats a good question. I would think that the picture wouldnt be 2x as good if it wasnt shot in that definintion. Heck, cable doesnt even do 1080p yet!

That should be half the price in 12mnths.

But when are they going to start filming in that definition?

I want one. The LG 85in sounds good :)

Well they already are!!! Peter Jackson is using the new Red1 to film his Hobbit series. He's got some blogs posted on the net if you care to google it. I want one too...those displays were very impressive. Like everything else though if we wait long enough we will all be able to afford one (someday). The electronics industry is not very kind to early adopters : (

At this point, I would say no. I got some in 2010 but haven't used them much since then. The content just isn't there yet. Yeah, there's a lot of converted content but not true 3D film. Blu-Ray 3D are not available to rent locally or by Netflix so you have to buy them. Gaming is pretty good if you like to do that either on a console or PC.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear