over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hacking Passwords....

Rory33

Banned
Since more people are getting hacked I feel the need to express how easy its done, to educate you on the importance of your password and emails. This is the main area people neglect.

First there is a whole range of tools that hackers use to get access into your site. The best protection you have is your password.

Lets say I felt the need to go after a specific username or persons email. I would use a brute force attack via computer software to login to the site with your email as a username to get into an email account or your username if it was another service. I would unleash the software on the site server with your information and instructions to try 100,000 different password combinations. I'll go out, grab a drink with some friends and come home and HEY, there it is!

How long it takes depends on the speed of my computer, internet connection, and how complex your password is.... Most hackers or "Security Consultants" :D have multiple computers anyway (I have 5, 2 macs and 3 windows) so it doesnt bother them on how long the computer is running for.

Lets say you have a password of 8 characters in length.
If your password were all lowercase letters, I can have it in about 2-3days
If your password were various characters, it could take 2-3 years

Keep in mind EVERY word or name in the dictionary would be found extremely fast in a brute force attack. Make sure your forum password is NOT your email password, and every online account you have should be different.

One thing that bothers me from a security standpoint on the board is the sponsors listing their direct login emails, instead of using email aliases that are easier to control and not give out their direct login to the public. Also gives them a way of tracking board activity and such as well in the event they need to change or trace something. Just a tip there for the sponsors...

Also most auto password generators are made with an algorithm that some hackers use too... (how great would it be for a hacker to provide a password generator for people with sensitive material and then go back and use the same algorithm in a different software to hack it and see what was so important in protecting ;) )

Use an encrypted software to store the passwords on your computer if needed. I recommend 1Password personally.

Keep in mind there are MANY other ways to hack into a system but brute force attacks are the most common and easiest.

About 3 times a day I need help hacking into my own accounts because I forget my passwords.
Interesting, educational thread. Thank you.,:lightbulb:

thanks for the info.. need to change my password.

to create a password I highly highly suggest Strong Password Generator

its one of the best online generators I've seen. Im tried cracking 7 generated passwords with brute/dictionary attacks and then went to the old trusty Online rainbow table attacks... no luck and that was with 1 quad core pc, 1 dual quadcore Apple, and my i7 macbookpro running all at once.

Very interesting info fellas, thanks for sharing.

Password security is one of the easiest security holes to close and yet often overlooked by end users and IT professionals alike. Insecure for a variety of reasons such as laziness of end users, sloppiness of developers and ease of use (usability).

Password Tips:
Manage your passwords with Open Source tools like Password Safe

Never use simple passwords. Complexity with usability is the key

Don't use the name of your kids, favorite pet, birth date, ect...

Passwords should never be less than 8 characters

Used mix case

Replace letters with numbers
SecurityIsSimple -> S3cur1ty!sS1mpl3

Shift characters to the left or right.
SecurityIsSimple ->AwxyeurtUaAunokw

Hope some of this helps....

This is different with vbulletin, you get 5 attempts to login and then you are locked out hence brute force is useless here. Most servers are protected from brute force hence this old app has been reduced to being used to crack emails.

Best suggestion is to use an email provider that locks you out after a few failed login attempts.

Last edited:

its one of the best online generators I've seen. Im tried cracking 7 generated passwords with brute/dictionary attacks and then went to the old trusty Online rainbow table attacks... no luck and that was with 1 quad core pc, 1 dual quadcore Apple, and my i7 macbookpro running all at once.

Man I have about 2 terabytes of rainbow tables. Seems easier to skip the cracking passwords and go for a true hack :)

Best suggestion is to use an email provider that locks you out after a few failed login attempts.

Not many actually do even tho they state so. Theres plenty ways of hacking a forum an vbulletin is not hard. Im trying to get a point accross as best possible without giving too many suggestions out in the open as I wouldnt want someone reading this going in and using google to study and figure it out. Hence why i didnt bring up rainbows, mds, etc.

Im willing to bet most users here that belong to other boards will maintain the same passwords on every board. So while one may be more secure the others may not.

This is different with vbulletin, you get 5 attempts to login and then you are locked out hence brute force is useless here. Most servers are protected from brute force hence this old app has been reduced to being used to crack emails.

Mine does lock me out after a few failed attempts. So this would be a much safer and almost impossible to hack into???? reason I ask is that some of my contacts recieve e-mails from me that Idid not send Like spam stuff so I change passwords and it stops for a time.

Nice...thanks!

wish i saw this post a few days ago.. nevermind it will come in handy when i need it. awesome thread

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear