over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hemoglobin dropped w/o donating

socialdfan

Registered
My bloods read 18.1 just over 3 weeks back. Today donating with the Red Cross it tested at 17.3. Since that initial blood I have upped cardio quite a bit. Could that have made that type of difference? I have also added a few OTC supps per Dantes reads on IG.

Or could the Red Cross reading be that far off?

Is it possible you were dehydrated with the first reading ?

Last edited:
Too many factors could influence the difference in readings. One is hydration status, and the other is the fact you had bloods drawn the first time and a finger prick the second. I wouldn't make too much out of it.

I have had high HCT in the past (not dehydrated) and my last few tests were on the lower side. I have never given blood. Levels can change over time due to numerous factors.

Red blood cells have a life cycle. I have had somewhat high hemoglobin that reolved without intervention. My trt doc at the time said it was due to the timing of rbc life cycle. Just tossing out what I was told, I know little on the subject

Red blood cells have a life cycle. I have had somewhat high hemoglobin that reolved without intervention. My trt doc at the time said it was due to the timing of rbc life cycle. Just tossing out what I was told, I know little on the subject

Maybe it's just their genetics but one thing I have noticed is the guys who donate have to keep doing it. The body regulates itself in many ways. A few people I know it seems like the more they donate the more they have to in the future. Silly comparison but it reminds me of those hairs you shave off that weren't that bad but they grow back twice as thick.

Is it possible you were dehydrated with the first reading ?

Yes, I had it drawn very early morning and only drank a glass of water prior.

Today I had plenty of water/salt prior to the finger prick. I also never considered each measure was taken via different methods.

Thank you all for the responses. Just caught me off guard.

Maybe it's just their genetics but one thing I have noticed is the guys who donate have to keep doing it. The body regulates itself in many ways. A few people I know it seems like the more they donate the more they have to in the future. Silly comparison but it reminds me of those hairs you shave off that weren't that bad but they grow back twice as thick.

I wish I never donated for the first time when my hematocrit hit 50. I mistakenly thought in 2013 that 50 was heart attack/stroke level risk because everyone on all forums used to think 50 was panic time back in those days. It's amazing how much things have changed. Now 55 isn't even a big deal.

I wish I never donated for the first time when my hematocrit hit 50. I mistakenly thought in 2013 that 50 was heart attack/stroke level risk because everyone on all forums used to think 50 was panic time back in those days. It's amazing how much things have changed. Now 55 isn't even a big deal.

And I’m over here being a hypochondriac over a dehydrated Hematocrit of 53 with perfectly normal Hemoglobin and platelets etc :eek: lol

Jay Campbell says 55 should be your target if your active. Those are supposedly normal levels for people in higher altitudes. Just what I've heard, I'm no expert..

Too many factors could influence the difference in readings. One is hydration status, and the other is the fact you had bloods drawn the first time and a finger prick the second. I wouldn't make too much out of it.

^^^^^^^
FYI the hemo at every donation center has been horribly wrong. Also under by a lot. Like said above to many factors( I could drop my hemo for that finger test in 2 hours by atlas a whole point by hydrating the living fuck out of myself)

Donated blood 1 pm hem 15.4????(I have never been under 16) went to Labcorp for routine bloods 1:45pm bloods drawn. Blood work came back hemo 16.9 lol haha wtf. My opinion is blood banks there methods aren’t to great, put it this way. I have never been close to high when I go into donate but every time I get blood work done I’m right at the top. Soo if you get turn away at the blood bank for high hemo get to your doc ASAP.

^^^^^^^
FYI the hemo at every donation center has been horribly wrong. Also under by a lot. Like said above to many factors( I could drop my hemo for that finger test in 2 hours by atlas a whole point by hydrating the living fuck out of myself)

Donated blood 1 pm hem 15.4????(I have never been under 16) went to Labcorp for routine bloods 1:45pm bloods drawn. Blood work came back hemo 16.9 lol haha wtf. My opinion is blood banks there methods aren’t to great, put it this way. I have never been close to high when I go into donate but every time I get blood work done I’m right at the top. Soo if you get turn away at the blood bank for high hemo get to your doc ASAP.

Facts. I had a hemoglobin of 19 on a blood draw and then days later, I get a finger prick prior to a donation that gives me a reading of 13. I told them the machine is broken lol. They did it again and the second time said 19. That's a variance of 6 in a few minute span.

I've had some labs that are approx 3 points different within a few weeks of each other without dumping any blood.

I think the main thing is that if you're going to let your hematocrit roll in the 55-56 range you should get tested for the clotting disorders. I did and it helps give me a little piece of mind.

Also, back in the day before my CPAP when my hematocrit ran 56-57, my GP was never as concerned about it as I was. Now with the CPAP it stay much closer to the normal reference range and I dump 450-500ml maybe every 12-18 months.

My doc told me not to worry about high crit, but always make sure blood platelets count is in range, that is the cause of clots in combination with high hematocrit. Crit alone cannot cause clots

My doc told me not to worry about high crit, but always make sure blood platelets count is in range, that is the cause of clots in combination with high hematocrit. Crit alone cannot cause clots

Did he say what could raise platelets?

My bloods read 18.1 just over 3 weeks back. Today donating with the Red Cross it tested at 17.3. Since that initial blood I have upped cardio quite a bit. Could that have made that type of difference? I have also added a few OTC supps per Dantes reads on IG.

Or could the Red Cross reading be that far off?
I swear high dose citrulline has lowered my numbers.
My Doc thinks I'm constantly donating and I keep telling him no. He doesn't believe me.

Staff online

• Bio
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic