over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Herpes and Overtraining

Christsean

Registered
A buddy of mine just went to the hospital because he had a bad outbreak of the shingles. If you have ever had chickenpox, which most of us have, then you are susceptible to shingles. Shingles is a form of the herpes virus that rears its ugly head when our bodies immune system is compromised. I'm sure that I am like you when it comes to hitting the gym hard. The tearing down and rebuilding of our muscles can cause a great amount of stress on our bodies and can contribute to the degradation of out immune systems. When this occurs, we are very susceptible to having an outbreak of shingles or any of the other herpes simplex virus, mouth or genitals. So I hope this article can help you prevent the occurrence of the any of the herpes viruses.

For those hat do not like to read, skip the L-Lycine section, it is the part that I want you to take with you.

Overview of Shingles

Once is more than enough for one of the most excruciating illnesses you’re likely to ever experience. Shingles, also called herpes zoster, is a viral infection that causes a rash of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. This is the same virus that causes chickenpox. The herpes zoster virus is a nasty bug. It even suppresses the immune system by infecting CD4 t cells and macrophages (as does the HIV virus).

Shingles is more common in older people (about half of the people over 80 will develop it) and people with weakened immune systems. If you're infected with shingles, you can pass the virus to anyone who hasn't had chickenpox, but that individual will develop chickenpox at that time, not shingles.

According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders, you must first have had an outbreak of chickenpox in order to develop shingles - which is triggered by residual virus particles in the nervous system. Roughly 20 percent of people who have had chickenpox will eventually develop shingles, usually at a time of great stress. Obviously, if you have serious stress of any kind going on in your life, reducing your level of stress may help give you some relief from shingles.

Shingles usually affects only one side of the body - commonly appears in a band, called a dermatone, that wraps around one side of the chest, waist or neck. The first symptom you will feel is usually pain, accompanied by burning, numbness or tingling, then a red rash that develops into blisters. Fevers, headaches and fatigue are also common.

If you think you may have shingles, see your doctor right away. If shingles blisters aren't properly treated, they can become infected (one reason for our Skin Defense). Two or three weeks after the blisters develop, they fill with pus, break open and start to crust over. A painful skin rash with blisters occurs when stress activates the dormant chickenpox virus.

Shingles can take four or five weeks to clear up, and some people experience lingering pain, called postherpetic neuralgia, at the site of the blisters long after they have healed. However, there are some things about this virus that you should know - especially if they want to avoid a second bout with it.

Reoccurrence

If you’ve ever had the herpes zoster virus, you may believe that at least you’ll never get this extremely painful condition again. At least it’s conventional wisdom that once you contract this virus, your immune system will protect you from another episode for the rest of your life. Well, a single episode is not always the case. You can get shingles multiple times. In fact, this is more common than you may think.

The varicella-zoster virus that causes chickenpox is not eradicated from the body when a person recovers from chickenpox. Instead, it lies dormant in the nervous system and can be reactivated if the immune system weakens.

Originally, recurrences appeared to be limited to people with suppressed immune systems. At least, that’s what doctors believed. Then researchers at Olmsted Medical Center discovered something different. When they examined the medical records of around 1,700 patients with a single past episode and healthy immune systems, they found that a number of these people had a second or third case of shingles.

That’s not all they found. Women were more likely than men to get shingles - and they were also more likely to have a recurrence! A second episode also was more common in people who experienced pain for more than a month after the initial onset.

Vaccine

Acyclovir, an antiviral drug, has been the usual treatment. Now there is also a shingles vaccine that is suggested for people over 60. An experimental vaccine can reduce both the incidence and the severity of shingles by more than 50%, doctors reported. This is a development that could spare hundreds of thousands of elderly Americans from an extremely painful disease. The effectiveness of the vaccine was determined in an unusually large clinical trial involving more than 38,500 people over the age of 60, the group most prone to shingles, a skin and nerve infection.

"I think the results are quite clinically significant," said Dr. Michael N. Oxman, the leader of the study, which is being published in The New England Journal of Medicine. "There's a major reduction in the overall burden of illness of shingles." Merck, the developer of the vaccine, has already applied to the Food and Drug Administration for approval. It would be the first new vaccine primarily for older adults in 30 years, according to Merck officials.

However, it may not be safe for anyone with a suppressed immune system. In addition, like most vaccines, it could damage your immune system. The shingles vaccine is a much more potent version of the chickenpox vaccine given to children. The vaccine boosts the immune system to keep the virus from being reactivated. It is not expected to help treat people who already have shingles.

It is estimated that more than one million people develop shingles in the United States each year, with both the prevalence and severity of the disease rising as people age. About half the cases each year are in people over 60, so widespread use of the vaccine in that age group could prevent 250,000 cases a year, said Dr. Oxman.

Fortunately, there are also alternatives.

Role of Lysine

Our other articles about shingles and herpes talk about the effectiveness of our Monolaurin and Skin Defense.

In addition, we want you to know that there is solid evidence that the amino acid L-lysine (or just lysine) is also helpful in treating the virus.

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, lysine treats shingles by speeding recovery time, as well as reducing the chance of recurrence. They say you might take L-lysine supplements to help prevent herpes outbreaks, or reduce the frequency or severity of cold sores and genital herpes outbreaks. The University of Michigan Health System notes L-lysine may also help treat shingles.

Lysine helps prevents herpes from spreading because it competes with arginine. Arginine is another amino acid that helps the herpes virus replicate because it is required by the shingles virus to multiply. Taking l-lysine will interfere with the availability and/or usability of arginine by viruses.

This also indicates that lysine may help treat mouth and genital lesions caused by the herpes simplex virus. These are solid reasons to consider reducing the consumption of arginine, and supplement with L-lysine.

L-lysine is an essential amino acid that your body needs. Unfortunately, your body can't make L-lysine. You must get it from your diet, from eating certain foods. You can get L-lysine from food sources such as beans and legumes, brewer's yeast, fish and meat and dairy products. Animal proteins like meat, poultry and eggs contain the highest amounts of L-lysine so deficiencies are usually found only among strict vegans.

You can also get L-lysine from taking a supplement!

Dosage

Cautions: Taking some lysine can be very helpful. However, it is good to be aware that taking too much L-lysine could increase your cholesterol levels or cause gallstones, warns the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The same goes if you have high cholesterol, gallstones or kidney or liver disease. Lysine can also increase the toxicity of certain antibiotics. This makes it sensible to consult your doctor before taking L-lysine supplements to discuss a safe dosage.

The typical recommended intake of L-lysine is 1 gram per day for prevention, and a therapeutic dosage during an outbreak is usually 1 gram taken three times a day, notes the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Many places recommend higher doses but we would recommend asking your doctor before doing so. Keep in mind that our Monolaurin and Skin Defense are also helping. You can find l-lysine in any health food store or, since we order many things from Vitalabs, we usually recommend NSI’s L-lysine at Vitalabs.

Obviously, the people who have tried our 3-Step Shingles Treatment have been much happier with the natural solution to their problem.

References:

University of Pittsburg Medical School

UPMC Patient Education Materials

University of Maryland Medical School

Lysine | University of Maryland Medical Center

Beauman JG. Genital herpes: a review. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Oct 15;72(8):1527-34. Review.

Bruzzese N, Sica G, Iacopino F, et al. Growth inhibition of fibroblasts from nasal polyps and normal skin by lysine acetylsalicylate. Allergy. 1998;53:431-434.

Civitelli R, Villareal DT, Agnusdei D, Nardi P, Avioli LV, Gennari C. Dietary L-lysine and calcium metabolism in humans. Nutrition. 1992;8(6):400-405.

De los Santos AR, Marti MI, Espinosa D, Di Girolamo G, Vinacur JC, Casadei A. Lysine clonixinate vs. paracetamol/codeine in postepisiotomy pain. Acta Physiol Pharmacol Ther Latinoam. 1998;48(1):52-58.

Di Girolamo G, Zmijanovich R, de los Santos AR, Marti ML, Terragno A. Lysine clonixinate in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea. Acta Physiol Pharmacol Ther Latinoam. 1996;46(4):223-232.

Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. Rockville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services and US Dept of Agriculture; 2005.

Fini M, Torricelli P, Giavaresi G, Carpi A, Nicolini A, Giardino R. Effect of L-lysine and L-arginine osteoblast cultures from normal and osteopenic rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2001;55(4):213-220.

Flodin NW. The metabolic roles, pharmacology, and toxicology of lysine. J Am Coll Nutr. 1997;16:7-21.

Furst P. Dietary L-lysine supplementation: a promising nutritional tool in the prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis. Nutrition. 1993;9(1):71-72.

Gaby AR. Natural remedies for Herpes simplex. Altern Med Rev. 2006 Jun;11(2):93-101. Review.

Griffith RS, Walsh DE, Myrmel KH, Thmpson RW, Behforooz A. Success of L-lysine therapy in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Dermatologica. 1987;175(4):183-190.

Hugues FC, Lacoste JP, Danchot J, Joire JE. Repeated doses of combined oral lysine acetylsalicylate and metoclopramide in the acute treatment of migraine. Headache. 1997;37:452-454.

Krymchantowski AV, Barbosa JS, Cheim C, Alves LA. Oral lysine clonixinate in the acute treatment of migraine: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2001;59(1):46-49.

Singh BB, Udani J, Vinjamury SP, et al., Safety and effectiveness of an L-lysine, zinc, and herbal-based product on the treatment of facial and circumoral herpes. Altern Med Rev. 2005;10(2):123-7.

If over training that could lower your immune system which brings out herpes ( cold sores).

BTW Lysine never worked for me. Stress, drinking, over training all can bring out herpes cause the immune system is lowered.

Last edited:
Pm me if you wanna discuss. I, unfortunately, know a bit about this topic.

If over training that could lower your immune system which brings out herpes ( cold sores).

BTW Lysine never worked for me. Stress, drinking, over training all can bring out herpes cause the immune system is lowered.

Were you taking it on a regular basis or just when you had an outbreak? I have been susceptible to fever blister my whole life (herpes simplex I virus). Since I started taking L-Lycine about 9 years ago, I have not had a single outbreak. may be coincidence, but my nutrition teacher told us about this and it seems to have worked for me. Of course everyone is different.

Were you taking it on a regular basis or just when you had an outbreak? I have been susceptible to fever blister my whole life (herpes simplex I virus). Since I started taking L-Lycine about 9 years ago, I have not had a single outbreak. may be coincidence, but my nutrition teacher told us about this and it seems to have worked for me. Of course everyone is different.

On a regular basis. I have been dealing with these annoying things since age 9 or 10 with pics to prove it. But everyone is different. I have had to have Valtrex or Zovirax on hand my whole life. Although, the older I got and I quitting many bad habits I haven't had one in years taking nothing. Many Doctors told me about Lysine, but it just didn't work for me. I would get them , 5 at a time having to miss school they were so bad when I was young.

Again, what works for some may not for others. Just my 2 cents. I hate those darn things. Stress, sun, low immune system, and I am sure some things I missed bring them out on me.

I took Zovirax ( acyclovir) everyday as a maintenance dose for like 6-8 months one time taking a dr's advice and never had an outbreak since. He said it would suppress it so low, it wouldn't come back. So I think, that and changing my habits had a large part in me never getting a cold sore/fever blister again.

Last edited:
About 1 and 4 Americans have the virus, but never have an outbreak, so it is pretty common. I took zoviarx 400-800 mgs everyday like I said for 6-8 months and have been fine since. I was a case that was pretty extreme though. I am sure that medicine is terrible on the liver, but I have been outbreak free for years.

Glad the Lysine worked for ya. I wish it had for me. Merry Christmas Mate! Keep those suckers on the down low. lol

About 1 and 4 Americans have the virus, but never have an outbreak, so it is pretty common. I took zoviarx 400-800 mgs everyday like I said for 6-8 months and have been fine since. I was a case that was pretty extreme though. I am sure that medicine is terrible on the liver, but I have been outbreak free for years.

Glad the Lysine worked for ya. I wish it had for me. Merry Christmas Mate! Keep those suckers on the down low. lol

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you have had a rough go with this virus. I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope you can find something that works well for you. Don't you hate too much sun exposure.... You always know when you've over done it.

Well, when I was young and dumb and the waves were good I was not thinking about to much sun cause I was having so much fun surfing, but yes your right. Your very welcome.:) Glad i could help.

thanks for info. haven't thout of connection between L-lysine and herpes.

I have HSV2 and I gave it to my girlfriend as well unfortunately. I rarely have outbreaks and normally its just a lesion or two that goes away in a couple of days. She unfortunately gets really bad outbreaks that are extremely painful. Im surprised she is still with me after I gave her this.

I have HSV2 and I gave it to my girlfriend as well unfortunately. I rarely have outbreaks and normally its just a lesion or two that goes away in a couple of days. She unfortunately gets really bad outbreaks that are extremely painful. Im surprised she is still with me after I gave her this.

May be the coomom desease could also uninte.

I did the same, did not know what it was I had and my doctor said it was nothing, stupid doctors.

But Humic Fulvic Acid is anti-viral and it´s really good making the outbreaks less frequent and stops them quick again.

In my microbiology class the prof said 90+% of adult americans have HSV1 and 40% have HSV2. Most are asymptomatic but are seropositive. The viruses write themselves in to your DNA so you have them for life. And as was said they're very similar to chickenpox. It's a silly social stigma surrounding "herpes". Good for condom companies and religious fanatics. Sex is evil kids.

I had a shingles outbreak at 27 which is really young to get it. Luckily it wasn't very painful. I'll keep this stuff in mind if it happens again thanks.

Good read. I have been taken acylovir as well daily as recommended by my doc only to lead me to massive hair loss.

I like melissa, which is lemon balm salve. Cheap on Amazon. I swear it will stop the virus from popping up again in the same location. I do find with my clients that HSP seems to come at change of seasons, so 1 g lysine with 1 g Vitc 4 x day is better protocol, and get some of this salve. Works on upper and lower herpes.

AAS tend to make it worse, because the more arginine in the diet, the more chance for viral replication. A lot of guys get lyphmadenopathy just after the beginning of a cycle as well, you probably carry the EBV strain as well. I like Tamiflu for that (Rx)
For CMV, 60 days of Tagamet seems to work well.

Yes the gift that keeps on giving Herpes.
That's what most of those NO products have in them is Arginine. I was getting cold sores a lot... I read that too in a natural cures book that Lysine works.. I use to take it but now I use prescription. I haven't had them in a long time. IDK what brings them out, stress, immune system. I'm glad I don't have shingles that has to be the worst of them. Like you said I hear its quite painful...

Great info! I've been dealing with hsv2 for the last year an a half and have been on daily meds. Ill have to give the lysine a shot.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131