over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Iodine deficiency?

Gators

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
My wife has had an ongoing battle with numbness in hands, feet, and face, extreme dizziness when standing, as well as fatigue, and weight gain. Did a battery of tests with Neurologist, and it was diagnosed as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. It's gotten better on it's own, well a little anyway, stress can really crank it up we're told, and she works a very stressful job.

We read up on iodine deficiency, and it sounds EXACTLY like what she has!

Any ladies here ever battled this, any insight into the supplements / diet to add more iodine?

Thanks

I don't know if this will help, I have a little insight on iodine deficiency, as you probably have read up on iodine deficiency can lead to hypothyriodism and can go undiagnosed due to on a thyroid function test if in normal range goes over looked by some PCP's.
If left untreated, leads to symptoms you described, although numbness I've not heard of more intolerable to cold conditions, cold feet and hands caused by lack of thyroid hormones being circulated. If iodine deficiency is the cause you should try to figure out what brought this on, generally most causes are, diet, lack of iodized salt or multi Vitamin not actually having 150 mcg in it,as You may of read certain foods inhibit absorption of iodine, peanuts, soy, kale, cauliflower, cabbage .Selenium helps on absorption of iodine and if her Vitamin A levels are low this makes absorption issues also, certain anti depressants can deplete iodine levels as well as some type II. diabetes medicine, You may of already read up on some of this?

So things to do to check if she's iodine deficient is check her Iodine blood levels and ferritn as both are also overlooked by some doctors,when checking for hypothyriodism also check waking temperature, then 4 other times through out the day, if low this could very well be an indicator of iodine deficiency and possibly adrenal insufficiency , if you can find Iodine at a pharmacy place a dab on area of skin such as the inner thigh or under arm area as the skin is thinner and more likely to absorb and generally has less hair follicles, if absorbed rapidly 1-2 minutes can indicate iodine deficient.
Does she eat seafood or use iodized salt?
Something to keep in mind try Not to over treat with iodine supplementation as if its Not excreted,can be very toxic and lead to certain types of cancer.
If after you have checked blood levels and body temperature and indicate low, try to avoid named foods that inhibit absorption and eat iodine enriched foods as well as lightly pinch iodized salt in a glass of water.
If temps raise but not quite up to the 98.6 range address adrenals. If iodine deficiency has been undetected may cause stress on the adrenals. Now two problems! Not good as this leads to other hormonal imbalances that may take time to correct
I'm Not familiar with TOS, but it sounds very painful.
I wish You and Your wife the best, I would recommend asking Your doctor to do all thyroid function tests including a rT3 (reverse T3).
Hope they find the cause of TOS
My wife has had an ongoing battle with numbness in hands, feet, and face, extreme dizziness when standing, as well as fatigue, and weight gain. Did a battery of tests with Neurologist, and it was diagnosed as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. It's gotten better on it's own, well a little anyway, stress can really crank it up we're told, and she works a very stressful job.

We read up on iodine deficiency, and it sounds EXACTLY like what she has!

Any ladies here ever battled this, any insight into the supplements / diet to add more iodine?

Thanks

Stewie I've never heard of large amounts of Iodine causing cancer, can you link me to some topics I'm curious now as I take it daily

Her B12 levels were low, so she's been supplementing with oral b12, the doc wanted her to do that for a month then re-test, that way they can determine if she has an absorption issue or if it was just not getting enough in diet... I'll definitely get her back in and get those tests, i do think it's a thyroidal issue, she's a human dynamo of energy (red haired and Spanish blood) but lately she's been much more lethargic... Thanks Stewie :headbang:

Although rare, by over supplementing with iodine can lead to thyroid papillary cancer. Seems to over stimulate TSH Releasing Too much T3 and T4 causing hyperthyriodism, So rare is...? I wouldn't want to be the rare one, although I would only think one would have to consume considerable amounts of iodized foods/supplementation to fall into this category, and would imagine excretion plays a major roll on over loaded.

This pubmed report is conclusive/ inconclusive

Relevance of iodine intake as a reputed predisposi... [Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2007] - PubMed result

This study shows a little more conclusive done by Oregon State university

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

Her B12 levels were low, so she's been supplementing with oral b12, the doc wanted her to do that for a month then re-test, that way they can determine if she has an absorption issue or if it was just not getting enough in diet... I'll definitely get her back in and get those tests, i do think it's a thyroidal issue, she's a human dynamo of energy (red haired and Spanish blood) but lately she's been much more lethargic... Thanks Stewie :headbang:

Oops wrong quote

^^^^^^^^
My bad wrong quote. , running on My Treadmill and typing on my phone.

Can't get away from PM, LOL
Stewie I've never heard of large amounts of Iodine causing cancer, can you link me to some topics I'm curious now as I take it daily

I'm unfamiliar with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. They are treating me with Synthroid. I was taking the generic but it wasn't helping me any, so I stay with the brand name now.

She could try taking an OTC supplement but if she wanted to do it naturally she would have to eat foods high in iodine such as food found in the ocean like seaweed and seafood (fish, shellfish, shrimp, etc.). I could deal with eating lots of seafood. YUMMY!!! Other foods that are rich in iodine would be turkey breast, soybeans, spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens, summer squash and white potatoes with the peel or Strawberries.

Hope she get it straightened out. I know what a challenge it is to loose weight with hypothyroidism. I can't image what TOS must be like.

Amazing turn around w/ taking kelp and b-12, she has much more energy, no more numbness or light headed. Also got her on a good omega 3, think the TOS can be aggravated by hypothyroidism and inflammation. Neurologist said nothing about any of this, recommended her to see vascular surgeon:eek: guess his buddy the vascular surgeon needed to make a boat payment:D

Iodine on your diet and the right dosage of iodine supplement?

HOW MUCH IODINE IN YOUR DIET DO YOU NEED?

0 - 6 months - 110 micrograms per day

7 - 12 months - 130 mcg per day

1 - 3 years - 90 mcg per day

4 - 8 years - 90 mcg per day

9 - 13 years - 120 mcg per day

Males age 14 and older - 150 mcg per day

Females age 14 and older - 150 mcg per day

UPPER INTAKE LEVELS OF IODINE SUPPLEMENTS

Excessive iodine intake may cause goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland), hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer and/or iodermia (a serious skin condition).

Overdose of iodine from medications or supplements in amounts exceeding one gram may cause vomiting, dirarrhea, nausea and stomach pains. In extreme cases, it can cause coma.

Therefore, the Institute of Medicine recommends the following Tolerable Upper Intake Levels for iodine:

1-3 years - 900 mcg

4-8 years - 300 mcg

9-13 years - 600 mcg

14-18 years - 900 mcg

19 years and older - 1,100 mcg

Pregnant women 14-18 years - 900 mcg

Pregnant women 19 years and older - 1,100 mcg

Lactating women 14-18 years - 900 mcg

Lactating women 19 years and older - 1,100 mcg

*The Food and Nutrition Board at the Institute of Medicine

Read More Multivitamin Reviews HERE: Before You Buy Multivitamins: Read Our Comparison of Best Multivitamin Brands For Women & Men & Childrens

My wife has been having severe depression and mental issues lately and her period has come on very heavy much more than normal. She got blood work done the week before her period started and her iodine is low.
Iodine 39 range 52-109
Tsh 2.14 range .4-4.5
T3 3.1 range 2.3-4.2
T4 5.0 range 4.8-10.4
Progesterone slightly elevated
Testosterone in range on lower end
FSH 1.3 LOW

I was reading up about iodine in it seems like iodine can cause your thyroid to be lower and cause your FSH as well as other hormones to be thrown off.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131