advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bummed after back surgery. How hard will it be?

2elbows

Registered
I am bummed after all my hard work of getting leaner recently because it will all be gone because I had to have emergency back surgery.

I had a L4 and L5 herniated disk, bunch of bone frags. surgeon cleaned that out after fixing the herniations and supposedly added some new material. Whatever that means?

I also had a nerve that had become stuck in the wrong space so she had to un-attach it, it leaked, she put a suture in it to close then another to keep it where it was supposed to go. I was told 5 years ago I’d need back surgery someday. Well this past Saturday was it.
What started the whole thing is I simply reached over and extended myself to move a speaker phone closer so I could hear a meeting better. Felt a pop and was down hill since. Went to urgent care twice for pain meds by Friday I was admitted after an MRI.

Surgeon said it was pretty bad repair a 7 out of 10 for all she had to do. But recovery is supposed to be 4-6 weeks. Start home therapy tomm. Hurts pretty bad but just got home yesterday.
Any experience with this from the forum?

I am bummed after all my hard work of getting leaner recently because it will all be gone because I had to have emergency back surgery.

I had a L4 and L5 herniated disk, bunch of bone frags. surgeon cleaned that out after fixing the herniations and supposedly added some new material. Whatever that means?

I also had a nerve that had become stuck in the wrong space so she had to un-attach it, it leaked, she put a suture in it to close then another to keep it where it was supposed to go. I was told 5 years ago I’d need back surgery someday. Well this past Saturday was it.
What started the whole thing is I simply reached over and extended myself to move a speaker phone closer so I could hear a meeting better. Felt a pop and was down hill since. Went to urgent care twice for pain meds by Friday I was admitted after an MRI.

Surgeon said it was pretty bad repair a 7 out of 10 for all she had to do. But recovery is supposed to be 4-6 weeks. Start home therapy tomm. Hurts pretty bad but just got home yesterday.

I feel your pain brother I have a friend deciding whether or not to get the surgery. He has the same exact situation, but doesn’t want to get the surgery but is in so much pain.

I've got a buddy that has pretty much the exact same thing as you . They call his degenerating disc I believe . His is from weighing over 400 at one point in his teens and he got down to 250 when he was about 20-21 . He always did alot of military press heavy and I think that factored in as well . He currently takes lortabs every day for it . But I think a guy that lifts and stays in shape like you look like should come out good with some determination . Just don't go as heavy even when you get back up to speed .

I had L4-L5 fused a few years ago. Along with a Laminectomy couple metal rods put in. Pain wasn't much of an issue for me. Stopped pain meds after about 6 days. Could have stopped them sooner but I was using them to keep my ambition down. Back in the Gym 10 days post op moving often less then warm up weights. Watched my diet lost some muscle but didn't gain any fat. Lost about 10 pounds all together. half of that came back quick once I started training again. Dr. told me I had a 10 weight limit for lifting anything for the first several weeks. I told him get real and then he said 25 pounds. Try to keep your expectations real. If you think you will be as good as 10 years ago you may be disappointed.

Last edited:
I feel your pain brother I have a friend deciding whether or not to get the surgery. He has the same exact situation, but doesn’t want to get the surgery but is in so much pain.

I did not have a choice to not do it. My wife would have killed me plus it was juts the most unimaginable pain. I had been managing it for 5 years but this past week was the last straw.

Eat at maintenance calories and you won't lose your fat loss results. Adjust for the lack of activity.

It takes 4 weeks to even start actually losing muscle/strength. You will be fine.

buck

I had L4-L5 fused a few years ago. Along with a Laminectomy couple metal rods put in. Pain wasn't much of an issue for me. Stopped pain meds after about 6 days. Could have stopped them sooner but I was using them to keep my ambition down. Back in the Gym 10 days post op moving often less then warm up weights. Watched my diet lost some muscle but didn't gain any fat. Lost about 10 pounds all together. half of that came back quick once I started training again. Dr. told me I had a 10 weight limit for lifting anything for the first several weeks. I told him get real and then he said 25 pounds. Try to keep your expectations real. If you think you will be as good as 10 years ago you may be disappointed.

buck at 1st mine sounds a lot like yours but she said I had a lot of nerve damage. Did you have nerve damage too?

I was in a ton of pain on Monday which was the nerve part. By Friday I could not even feel my right leg like it was gone. It's still numb but I can feel it and I have a cane. I'll work from home for a few weeks because I am in software development. I start physical therapy tomm at home.
My pain is still pretty high too but at least I can put weight on it and sit down.
I slept 4 days straight belly down on a exercise ball the only thing that would relieve the pain.

1st thing I said to my wife "there goes my abs" so she smacked me in the head.

You should be fine once healed up,L5/L4 repair isn't that bad I doubt you'll even notice it after 6mos and you shouldn't have any loss of ROM. Once the nerves calm down that pain should go away to in a few days. Lyrica helped w that but it's nasty shit. Took me 5-7days and nerve pain was gone along w the random twitching in my left leg

I had L5-S1 fused,then had a revision from L2-S1 w hardware a year later. The pain was unreal after the surgery. Took a few months to heal up before I could start PT. Resumed training about 6mos after that(that was 2yrs ago). Lots of things I can't do in the gym but I was able to hit it hard with what I was able to do&get in excellent shape for my age. I'll be 50 in a few wks.

Make sure you do your stretching at home like the physical therapist instructs as it's important and helps manage the pain/stiffness.

Last edited:

Man, I’m sorry. Hang in there. You’ll heal and be back in the game. Back issues suck!

You'll be fine. L4-5 is an area that gets a lot of use, so just take things slow. Imagine not listening to your doctor and needing surgery again! The weights will always be there.

If you've never seen some of my posts, I've had 6 spine surgeries. One 1998, L4-5 Laminectomy and then the other 5 in a period of four and a half years ending last December. Funny enough, I just had a lumbar MRI and I'm leaving shortly to go see my surgeon for the results. Anyway, I had an L4-5 and L5-s1 fusion, C5-6 and C6-7 fusion, C3-4 Foraminotomy, C7-T1 fusion, L2-3 Microdiscectomy and C3-4 recently fused together from the auto-immune disease I have, which is Ankylosing Spondylitis. I also had 3 other surgeries in that four and a half year period including intestine surgery, so if I can still make it to the gym, you have no worries! I don't dead or squat.

Take the time to do some things that you've been wanting to do or take care of once you're feeling better and are more mobile. Hang in there!!

Last edited:
BIO

That's crazy amazing what your body can go through. I went through what I considered a lot of pain even if short term yours had to be insance.

buck at 1st mine sounds a lot like yours but she said I had a lot of nerve damage. Did you have nerve damage too?

I was in a ton of pain on Monday which was the nerve part. By Friday I could not even feel my right leg like it was gone. It's still numb but I can feel it and I have a cane. I'll work from home for a few weeks because I am in software development. I start physical therapy tomm at home.
My pain is still pretty high too but at least I can put weight on it and sit down.
I slept 4 days straight belly down on a exercise ball the only thing that would relieve the pain.

1st thing I said to my wife "there goes my abs" so she smacked me in the head.

Sounds like a good wife.
I had numbness and still do. All my disc in the lumbar reigon and to either side are herniated and I have stenosis as well as a couple other things. My Dr.s recommended getting back in the gym as soon as I felt up to it as the studies show activating nerve helps in keeping atrophy at bay and aids in healing. Things will probably not turn out as black as you are thinking they will. You do your part and you should be fine.

You'll be fine. L4-5 is an area that gets a lot of use, so just take things slow. Imagine not listening to your doctor and needing surgery again! The weights will always be there.

If you've never seen some of my posts, I've had 6 spine surgeries. One 1998, L4-5 Laminectomy and then the other 5 in a period of four and a half years ending last December. Funny enough, I just had a lumbar MRI and I'm leaving shortly to go see my surgeon for the results. Anyway, I had an L4-5 and L5-s1 fusion, C5-6 and C6-7 fusion, C3-4 Foraminotomy, C7-T1 fusion, L2-3 Microdiscectomy and C3-4 recently fused together from the auto-immune disease I have, which is Ankylosing Spondylitis. I also had 3 other surgeries in that four and a half year period including intestine surgery, so if I can still make it to the gym, you have no worries! I don't dead or squat.

Take the time to do some things that you've been wanting to do or take care of once you're feeling better and are more mobile. Hang in there!!

Squats and deads are so overrated, i've gotten very strong in both movements (4/5 plates respectively for lots of reps) but quad/ham machines x 20 better for building actual muscle and mass. I've dropped the Squats/Deads since and just hit the machines for legs hard.

For overall strength/athleticism, squats/deadlift are king. Otherwise, use machines with good form.

Squats and deads are so overrated, i've gotten very strong in both movements (4/5 plates respectively for lots of reps) but quad/ham machines x 20 better for building actual muscle and mass. I've dropped the Squats/Deads since and just hit the machines for legs hard.

For overall strength/athleticism, squats/deadlift are king. Otherwise, use machines with good form.

I agree. It's just that I lost a lot of size and for me it doesn't come back with leg press and extensions. It's ok though, I'm 50.

I really want this guys belt squat piece of equipment... https://www.wenningstrength.com/equipment

I'm agree with Bio. I had several nagging back injuries and was worried about getting to the point of needing surgery so I stopped deadlifts and squats. I definitely have lost some size but I'm 48 and the age definitely plays into it. I can't afford to get hurt and be out of work for too long so the size loss in no big deal.

WTF 6 major BACK surgery’s like that, damm I
COULDNT EVEN IMAGINE. wow good thing you have your head in the right place most people would of given up on life.

Bio's story

I had a cousin like Bio. He had so many surgeries he committed suicide.

In the note he left he said " I can't take the pain anymore" and noted his back. I used to go over and help him as much as I could. It was very sad. This was 15 years ago.

So I am not special but just a weeks worth of this kind pain was enough for me cause it does hurt. He did it for more than 10 years.

I find it interesting that my nerves decided they would just migrate somewhere else. She said she had to move a few back in place for whatever that means.

Thanks guys this has all been helpful.

WTF 6 major BACK surgery’s like that, damm I
COULDNT EVEN IMAGINE. wow good thing you have your head in the right place most people would of given up on life.

My original surgery in 1998 didn't do anything for me. That was a HUGE disappointment! I vowed to never have surgery again but as things got increasingly worse over the next 18 years and having exhausted all other avenues of treatment, tons of PT, massage, chiropractic, acupuncture, cupping, trigger point injections, deeper cortisone injections at the nerve, RFA (Radiofrequency Ablation), pulse therapy, heat therapy, Bio Feedback, pain management and others that I've forgotten the name it was time to see if there was a surgical option. Turned out there was. I got three opinions from three conservative surgeons that were recommended by other doctors. All were on the same page which made me feel better.

Also, there were actually 8 surgeries in the four and a half year period ending last December and aside from the surgeries, I forgot to mention I had a fractured T6 vertebrae as well and was in a brace for 3 months. The other three surgeries were an intestine surgery for Carcinoid Syndrome (Cancer). That was actually the first surgery of the eight. Another was a Urology surgery and yes it was surgery on you know what. The Oncologist said they think the issue was related to the cancer. The other one wasn't serious. The Ankylosing Spondylitis diagnosis also came during that time period. The disease runs in my family. Good Times! LOL!!

I had a cousin like Bio. He had so many surgeries he committed suicide.

In the note he left he said " I can't take the pain anymore" and noted his back. I used to go over and help him as much as I could. It was very sad. This was 15 years ago.

So I am not special but just a weeks worth of this kind pain was enough for me cause it does hurt. He did it for more than 10 years.

I find it interesting that my nerves decided they would just migrate somewhere else. She said she had to move a few back in place for whatever that means.

Thanks guys this has all been helpful.

I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin. For him to feel like that was the only option left is very tragic.

I'm very lucky and I need to give my wife a lot of credit for her incredible support and ongoing support! I wouldn't have been able to do any of these surgeries if it wasn't for her. I lost a good job over all of this but fortunately she has a great job and is very accomplished. That's a big reason why I'm able to have the positive mindset that I do. No worries about paying bills, the mortgage, etc. People at the gym that know what I've been through say, "You're always smiling, laughing, and you never complain." I've had back pain due to Ankylosing Spondylitis and recurring mechanical issues since I was 17 and I'm 50 now. Complaining doesn't do any good and no one would want to be around me if I did. I want to be as happy as I can, it's about quality of life. That needs to start with me, my attitude and how I approach life. I'm not going to play the victim. Don't get me wrong, I feel down sometimes and I've shed some tears along the way. At times it feels overwhelming but I quickly pull myself together and look at things in the right light. I realize how lucky I am to have a great wife, great friends and incredible doctors of varying specialties helping me.

Last edited:
Hang in there man, happens to the best of us. Just another hurdle thrown at ya.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131