J4CKT

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Board Supporter
Hi guys,

I was looking for some advice on food prep and how i can prepare a weeks worth
of meals so that I only have to cook once a week instead of every day or every
second day.

Always heard that leaving meat in the fridge 3 days or longer can become risky
whether from bacteria or the food just going off.

Does anyone here only cook once a week. Is it possible?

Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

Grill your weeks worth of meat on Sunday afternoons and partition w veggies. 3 days is nothing to worry about. I eat meat thats been refrigerated for a week or more- never had an issue. But if you're reluctant then nuke it or pan fry it in coconut oil before consuming just to be safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I eat meat that's been in the fridge for a week.
never had a problem either.

you might wanna get a thermometer and make sure your fridge is sittin at or around 40%.

I cook for a living...4 days is as long as i would keep anything for me personally. If i were to serve it to someone else- a day or two max...but thats not an issue here.

Not only that, the flavors of the food start to deteriorate after 3 days I've found.

If it were me i would find the time to cook the meals on say sunday and wed nights...you all but eliminate the food poisoning question and the food will taste much better than 6 day old meat thats been hanging out on the bottom of the fridge.

Alternately- you could freeze half of your meals on Sunday in containers after they cool and then let them defrost in the fridge from wed am till your next cooking night/day!

Learning how to prep food for the week has been the single biggest factor in improving my physique. I do all of my cooking for the week in less than two hours on Sunday afternoon and never had a problem. Here's what I do:

(1) Marinate chicken breasts in cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard and spices for anywhere between 1 hr and overnight.The marinade helps them cook faster and more evenly. Lay them out on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet and cook for ~40 min at 350. Internal temp should be ~165F. Cut into cubes and put into tupperware.

(2) Boil some rice and/or potatoes. Add to tupperware. If you have access to a microwave, you don't even need to cook the potatoes in advance. Just poke some holes in them and microwave for about 4 minutes when you are ready to eat.

(3) Frozen broccoli. I just add this to my tupperware still frozen in the AM.

I stick the tupperware with the whole meal —chicken, carbs, broccoli— in the microwave for a few min. when I am ready to eat.

If you are really worried, you could freeze some of your cooked chicken on Sunday and then defrost it in the fridge Tuesday night/Wednesday.

My advice is to keep it simple. The more complicated your meals, the longer they will be to prepare and the less likely you are to stick with it.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply guys.

Had a few questions for you spacey.

Learning how to prep food for the week has been the single biggest factor in improving my physique. I do all of my cooking for the week in less than two hours on Sunday afternoon and never had a problem. Here's what I do:

(1) Marinate chicken breasts in cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard and spices for anywhere between 1 hr and overnight.The marinade helps them cook faster and more evenly. Lay them out on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet and cook for ~40 min at 350. Internal temp should be ~165F. Cut into cubes and put into tupperware.

How many breasts do you prepare at once and how much vinegar/olive oil/mustard do you use? Also which spices?

(2) Boil some rice and/or potatoes. Add to tupperware. If you have access to a microwave, you don't even need to cook the potatoes in advance. Just poke some holes in them and microwave for about 4 minutes when you are ready to eat.

Do you use a rice cooker? I have a feeling that will be my next investment. Any recommendations?

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply guys.

Had a few questions for you spacey.

How many breasts do you prepare at once and how much vinegar/olive oil/mustard do you use? Also which spices?
I usually buy 2 family packs of chicken breasts (about 5 lbs each) and prepare them at the same time. for the marinade, I'd recommend putting each family pack in a bowl and start with equal amounts oil, vinegar and mustard (about ½ cup each). It's really a matter of personal preference, so make adjustments after the first batch. Personally, I use a lot less oil, but I like things tangy. For spices, I usually use a blend of thyme and rosemary, but I've used curry mixes, adobo mixes, and other seasonings, too. I recommend you start with spice blends if you're not sure what you like. Basically, it's all trial and error.

Do you use a rice cooker? I have a feeling that will be my next investment. Any recommendations?
Zojirushi makes the best rice cookers, but they are expensive! Aroma cookers are much cheaper and work well, too.

Any of you ever thought of opening up your own meal prep business or have any info?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws