over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Home Phlebotomy for lowering HCT ~1%

Matsuo Munefusa

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have hematocrit levels that are 52.8. I'd like to get them around 50-51% just for peace of mind and also because I will be going in to try to get on legal TRT soon (I have self-administered for 2+ years). I want to make sure my blood is in normal levels.

I had a problem donating last time when they took 500ml (I lost consciousness). I was told that some people this happens to no matter their blood volume (they knew I had lots of blood because of the hemoglobin test they do at the beginning to identify if you're anemic or not).

I was thinking of taking out less at home. Found this article:
Do Blood Tests Cause Anemia in Hospitalized Patients?

"On average, every 100 mL of phlebotomy was associated with a decrease in hemoglobin and hematocrit of 7.0 g/L and 1.9%, respectively."

So this means that if I take 50ml out then I will see about a 1% drop in my hematocrit (which is about what I am after. I'd like to see it drop at least into the therapeutic range which 51% is included in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tried home phlebotomy because I am on avodart for BPH and you have to be off that for 6 mo. to be eligible to donate at the Red Cross. The problem is that blood dosen't drain. I have the proper needles and the vacutainers for sucking the blood out and it still is very difficult to fill the vacutainers. I was only able to fill 2 out of 12 before I gave up. Vacutainers are 10ml. vacuum vials. You have to fill 45 to just draw out a pint of blood. The Red Cross has some kind of vacuum pump connected to a plastic bag that sucks out a pint in less than 10 min. If you had a girlfriend that was a nurse, you probably could do it with her help. It takes some skill to get the needle positioned properly. There are how-to videos on You-Tube, but it is difficult. And you can't be afraid of needles or the sight of blood.

If you take in a ton of fluids, and then work out very hard, your HCT might drop 2-3 points the next morning. I think taking out the blood yourself is asking for disaster. You could also do what cyclists do and use a saline injection or plasma expander.

Hydration has no effect on H&H....your numbers are the same no matter how hydrated or how hard you work out.....1 pint of blood = 3% drop in H&H, donate, leeches, or blood letting. Get that shit out so you don't have a heart attack or stroke. Just go.

I tried home phlebotomy because I am on avodart for BPH and you have to be off that for 6 mo. to be eligible to donate at the Red Cross. The problem is that blood dosen't drain. I have the proper needles and the vacutainers for sucking the blood out and it still is very difficult to fill the vacutainers. I was only able to fill 2 out of 12 before I gave up. Vacutainers are 10ml. vacuum vials. You have to fill 45 to just draw out a pint of blood. The Red Cross has some kind of vacuum pump connected to a plastic bag that sucks out a pint in less than 10 min. If you had a girlfriend that was a nurse, you probably could do it with her help. It takes some skill to get the needle positioned properly. There are how-to videos on You-Tube, but it is difficult. And you can't be afraid of needles or the sight of blood.

Blood drains under gravity, no pump is used.....if the blood isn't coming out, u are not in the vein.

16 gauge.... Ouch ---->

Hydration levels and fatigue do impact your HCT. I'm on a different type of "medicine" that results in a HCT of 53-55. After a very hard workout day, I can be right at 50 and after a couple of easy days, it's back up to the lower/mid 50s (I test my HCT at home).

Dehydration can raise your HCT as much as 5 points or more. That's why a lot of endurance athletes won't compete in very hot weather. Having your HCT climb over 60 in a competition is just asking for disaster.

For the OP, if you are at 52.5 in the morning, you should be fine, just take a baby aspirin 1-2 times a day.

Blood drains under gravity, no pump is used.....if the blood isn't coming out, u are not in the vein.
you put an 18g needle in and your heart will pump the blood out. but why not just donate! its free and easy.

Last edited:
Red Cross does not check crit levels they check iron levels and they only check to make sure you are not low. I have seen the iron level checker say hhh many times. Which means it is higher than the machine measures. They don't care about the high level only the low level.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you cannot donate blood you can seek a health care organization that does "therapeutic phlebotomy". They drain & discard blood for those who need to drop H/H for medical reasons but are not candidates for donation!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131