over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Safety Squat Bar

Thanks Mung, I originally started the thread cause I was looking for a bar to re-start my squatting. I used to squat heavy but am recouping an injury and thought the ss bar would allow for some self squatting if I suddenly need it. But Im not sure if the use of an ss bar has a more back emphasis than glutes and quads. (?)

Shark,

It would probably be predicated on the nature of your back issues. I have been fighting off back surgery by the surgeon who says my bulged discs will someday require it. I aggressively sought out a non-invasive method to provide relief, even to walk and function within my profession. What I came up with is the following:

1. Eric Cressey's Magnificent Mobility - learning to disassociate the pelvic girdle from the low back. I do this everyday...sometimes several times. But at a minimum as part of my warm up.

2. A rumble roller...this is huge. I started with the soft white roller, worked up to the pvc pipe covered with thin foam, then the rumble. The rumble has really helped my issues.

3. The ssb. Initially it hammered by neck, traps and upper back with a good deal of emphasis on the low back until I learned to really sit back on the squat, drive my head "into" the bar and squeeze the glutes before the concentric phase.

This has been two years this November and I feel better than I have in years. My squat weights are nothing to speak of, 435x5 doing 5/3/1 no wraps but I do use a belt.

So in short, the ssb is relative to the whole picture of what you are trying to accomplish, where you are currently, and where you want to go. Yes, it will increase the stress on the low back initially, but I feel it helps to strengthen the low back and for me, it helped.

If it helps, I'm 48 years old, been training for about 18 years, bodybuilding and some powerlifting early on. I have a picture in the members photo section so I have tried what I preach! lol

I hope this helps you better decide if a ssb will help, may just have to try it and see. I hope it helps you the way it has helped me!

Hi Mung,

Just want to thank you for sharing the info on the homemade SSB.

This was exactly what I'm looking for.

I live in Canada and shipping from the states is ridiculous unless you order bulk.

I was wondering if you could tell me what pad OD thickness, outer shell and what foam material worked best.

Thanks agian, and looking forward to your reply.
Ray

Rogue makes a good one

Only way I can squat until I get my bicep tendon reatacked to my shoulder.

It's a great tool to teach upper back arc strength and gain it plus doing GM's suspended with that bar is amazing.

The SSB is invaluable in my opinion, esspecially with people who have bad shoulders, or don't have the mobility to get their arms behind them. But they are damn expensive, and the idea of buy nice not twice is reccomended. So I'd say go with EliteFTS with them. Or there is this cheaper option, it's by Dave Draper it's like a Saftey Squat bar Attachment, here is the link:

Top Squat bar attachment

So not you can take this attachment with you everywhere, without worrying about assholes destroyin your bar.

I think as the poster said above it depends how you use it. I know some squat with it like a front squat and others really sit back.

If I had my own gym I would buy one.

mung - thanks for the pics. I have made two ssbars for $150 and they work great. My brother got the end pieces and a machine shop drilled the holes-that was a chunk of the total. I copied a factory ssb and they came out great. I welded the bars for the trap pads an inch closer and gave that one to my nephew for a gift. The ssb he used at school was too wide and not comfortable for him so the homemade bar was the ticket. Thanks again.

Ray,

Sorry I haven't checked back to this thread and I assume you have your info by now...if not OD is 4" and I think that is pretty standard.

heavy70,

Glad it worked for you! I love having that stuff made to specs. Not a nice to look at, but rugged and old school in appearance!

I still try to buy everything from Elite for all their support!

Finally broke down and bought a Swiss bar, deadlift bar and squat bar.

My buddy that fabricates my equipment for me was killed this summer by a drunk driver. Two boys in college, one a senior and one a freshman. Tragic.

Take care all and Merry Christmas!

And heavy 70, what a great gift to your nephew! I hope he beats the piss out of it for years to come! Awesome stuff!

These spammers are really annoying

Definitely pull the trigger if you can find one for the right price. It's a great piece of equipment for variety's sake

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
novi0jqz
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws