over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

what reps to get big

joos23

Sponsor Rep
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
so i watched this video YouTube - Stan Rhino Efferding Trains Shoulders..... guy says to get volume have to do high reps as in 20 reps... i always thought 8 reps but control the wt on the down movement to get more blood to the muscles... u see alot of body builders that just rep out there sets with good form.... anyone help?? thanx

It doesn't really matter what rep range you use...just keep adding weight to the bar and over a years time, if you add 200 pounds to your bench or squat, those body parts will be bigger.

it really is that simple

It doesn't really matter what rep range you use...just keep adding weight to the bar and over a years time, if you add 200 pounds to your bench or squat, those body parts will be bigger.

If you are newbi, yes that will work but you can't get stronger forever, otherwise we all will bench 1000Lbs:)

so i watched this video YouTube - Stan Rhino Efferding Trains Shoulders..... guy says to get volume have to do high reps as in 20 reps... i always thought 8 reps but control the wt on the down movement to get more blood to the muscles... u see alot of body builders that just rep out there sets with good form.... anyone help?? thanx

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT BRO .... YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU HOWEVER I DO FEEL ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE A FULL RANGE OF MOVEMENT AND GOOD FORM ALWAYS.

Imo High reps are better because it s less likely you ll have to stop training because of joint problems from heavy training. Many of my over 30 year old acquaintances cant really enjoy training anymore because they always used to train with heavy weights during their earlier years. That was(as I see it)mostly because of their ego, not because it s more effective to build size(although that s what some of them claimed).
I ve always used a slow pace during the negative portion of my exercises in order to fatigue muscles more; This has the benefit of limiting the weight I use to preserve my joints.
It is also claimed in the scientific litterature that the negative portion of exercises is the one that matters most to build muscle.
If you do heavy sets for shoulders chances are you ll be VERY sorry in a few years

Last edited:
Cycle your heavy and light training. Gradually go up over 4-6weeks then drop down to 40% of your max and stay there for a couple of weeks for rest the spend the next 4-6 weeks going back up this time exceeding your last max from the previous cycle.... rinse and repeat.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT BRO .... YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU HOWEVER I DO FEEL ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE A FULL RANGE OF MOVEMENT AND GOOD FORM ALWAYS.

I agree....and the 3 to 5 rep range works great for me.

Start light, add weight every workout until you stall, stay at stall weight until you either get it or stall 3 times then deload. Once it becomes impossible to pickup from a deload and continue to add weight each workout then it's time to switch to periodized training - research it.

This has been my experience with a 5x5 beginner program that got me to squatting 1.5x body weight for 5 sets of 5 reps. Once I could squat 1.5 BW I switched to periodized training and have been making gains again.

Agree. Also change things up when you plateau.

Imo High reps are better because it s less likely you ll have to stop training because of joint problems from heavy training. Many of my over 30 year old acquaintances cant really enjoy training anymore because they always used to train with heavy weights during their earlier years. That was(as I see it)mostly because of their ego, not because it s more effective to build size(although that s what some of them claimed).
I ve always used a slow pace during the negative portion of my exercises in order to fatigue muscles more; This has the benefit of limiting the weight I use to preserve my joints.
It is also claimed in the scientific litterature that the negative portion of exercises is the one that matters most to build muscle.
If you do heavy sets for shoulders chances are you ll be VERY sorry in a few years

So you think it's better to have a lighter load placed on the joints for a longer period of time, than a heavier load for a short period of time? I think it's different for everyone. I know of a few guys that have trained at the higher rep ranges and developed pain in their joints.

I have a couple friends that are in powerlifting and both are monsters. Brian Siders and Allen Baria. Brian has always done high volume but low reps. Allen had always done low volume but high reps until lately, now he does low volume and low reps. Both guys are stupid strong, both have around a 650lb raw bench, and both are huge and both have been lifting since they were around 14yrs old. I think most of it is muscle maturity and the effort you put in it every day at the gym.

I have a couple friends that are in powerlifting and both are monsters. Brian Siders and Allen Baria. Brian has always done high volume but low reps. Allen had always done low volume but high reps until lately, now he does low volume and low reps. Both guys are stupid strong, both have around a 650lb raw bench, and both are huge and both have been lifting since they were around 14yrs old. I think most of it is muscle maturity and the effort you put in it every day at the gym.

You shouldn't be in the gym everyday doing compound exercises - if you want to grow....

Focus on the muscle you are trying to work, not the weight. If you do a bench press but use tris an shoulders then it didn't really help you trying to make your chest bigger. if you are trying to get big (not strong) leave your ego at the door. change your routines, your reps, your rest time, your speed which you move the weight, full ROM and pause in the ecentric and concentric position to get the most of it. Most guy dont lift like ronnie or branch just so you know. Train smart!

What do you think about posting your routine in detail??? I would be happy to take a look at it and give you some specific feedback. Also, how long have you been consistently lifting??? Are you natural??

just my 2 cents here....

but if you want to grow.....train with moderately heavy weights......feel what you are doing and work in the 9-12 rep range.

if you are looking for hypertrophy.......you must work the muscle.....not the tendons......which is what happens during extremely heavy workouts.

I would say 10 sets total for large bodyparts....ie.....chest, back, legs....etc

8 sets for smaller groups......ie.....bis, tris.....etc

I believe in blood volume training.......moderate weights that allow you to pump blood and feel the movement.......I am not in favor of heavy singles, doubles, triples, etc......I feel that is more beneficial for strength athletes and powerlifters.....it focuses too much on the joints.....IMHO

All sound training methods work for a while, then the body gets used to that type of stimulation and stops responding as well. The longer you've been lifting, the harder it is to trick the body in to responding to your work outs. Keep it fresh. There are tons of protocols out there. Peridization, DC, German Volume, Blah blah blah. They all work. Just my .02

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner