over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbillical hernia

intenceman

Registered
Went to the doctor yesterday after battling this for almost 10 momths. He confirmed what I already had suspected. I have an unmbillical hernia- top part of the naval up. Second (supervising) doc confirmed. Said it has to be taken care of. Appointment to consult with surgeon tommorrow. Haven't trained since the North Americans. Much needed layoff. But I want to go to the gym and do some stuff- nothing heavy bentover or deads. But some presses, dips, pulldowns, etc. bad idea? She didn't say I COULDN'T train pre surgery. I have never had a hernia (well she said I probably had this since birth, just opened up over time). The first doc said he had seen much worse in overweight out of shape people. Anyone with experience in this? Also been off test since show. Any harm in starting up with that - modest dose-500 mg type regime?

Last edited:
I had an umbilical hernia surgery done in 2011. I trained all through pre-contest with one and trained up until 2 days before surgery. However, it took me 4 weeks to get back to gym, and another 4 weeks to handle any decent weight. I stayed off gear prior to the surgery (3 months) and for 3 months after. If guys reply to tis they will tell you "I was back into training in 2 weeks, blah blah." Don't be a lunk head, allow ample time to heal. 4 weeks off and you wont shrivel up. As far as gear , being off for a few weeks or months you will not deflate or melt like a snowman. It will do you good. Let your body clean out, values come back to normal if elevated then blast it once you can hit it hard again.

I heard no lifting for 6 weeks. Is that too conservative? My idea was start walking after 4 days or so - when I return to work I have to anyway since that is part of the job. Then break into incline treadmill after 3 weeks or so, then some bands and machines after 3 more weeks. Then ramp it back up over the next 2 months. Sound reasonable? How was your recovery the first week? Any pain now? Thanks.

I heard no lifting for 6 weeks. Is that too conservative? My idea was start walking after 4 days or so - when I return to work I have to anyway since that is part of the job. Then break into incline treadmill after 3 weeks or so, then some bands and machines after 3 more weeks. Then ramp it back up over the next 2 months. Sound reasonable? How was your recovery the first week? Any pain now? Thanks.

Yes a lot of pain. I had surgery on Thursday, went back to work Monday (I was advised against it) because I'm self employed and can't afford to take off a lot. It was rough especially since I have a physical job. Though I was going to pass out from the pain. I had no stitches, they glued my umbilical area together. The worst part is that it took me until late Sunday to have a bowel movement, and that almost killed me. I went back to my doc at around 2-3 weeks and he said give it another week then I could go back to lifting. The first week was all very light Hammer strength and machines, no legs for about 6-8 weeks other than leg ext leg curls. No pain now, but when I diet down I can feel my implant push against the skin and it bugs me. Squats and dead lifts still don't feel right when I do them. I abandoned deads and if I squat I do it last so I don't use much over 315. No more squatting 5 plates for reps. BTW I'm 41, not sure of your age but think you are around mine or older because I think I recognize you from Master Nats last year.

To add, actually first 2 weeks back very light. It as hard enough putting on 45s on the Hammer machines. I kept my reps 15-25 just to get a pump, and stayed that way for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Yes a lot of pain. I had surgery on Thursday, went back to work Monday (I was advised against it) because I'm self employed and can't afford to take off a lot. It was rough especially since I have a physical job. Though I was going to pass out from the pain. I had no stitches, they glued my umbilical area together. The worst part is that it took me until late Sunday to have a bowel movement, and that almost killed me. I went back to my doc at around 2-3 weeks and he said give it another week then I could go back to lifting. The first week was all very light Hammer strength and machines, no legs for about 6-8 weeks other than leg ext leg curls. No pain now, but when I diet down I can feel my implant push against the skin and it bugs me. Squats and dead lifts still don't feel right when I do them. I abandoned deads and if I squat I do it last so I don't use much over 315. No more squatting 5 plates for reps. BTW I'm 41, not sure of your age but think you are around mine or older because I think I recognize you from Master Nats last year.

To add, actually first 2 weeks back very light. It as hard enough putting on 45s on the Hammer machines. I kept my reps 15-25 just to get a pump, and stayed that way for 2 weeks.
Thanks for the input! I'm 53. I did the NAs this year and in 2010- old farts, supers, also Master Nats that year same division. Did the over the hill supers same show 2008-9 and a horribly bad USAs 2008. This was my best bodyweight- shockingly weighed in at 240- but my cardio suffered due to this injury. Strangely enough squatting was unaffected, was doing up to 635 in the rack for a few, up to the last month and I wont even say how much I was V squatting. I avoided deads except stiff legged and leg presses- the Cybex squat press our gym aggravated the hell out of it. As long as I can get full function back without all the pain, I will deal with the rest. Its a small hole he said. I would rather avoid the mesh.

I've had 3 in my life. Go ahead and lift up until surgery. Mesh takes just a little longer to heal than if they sew it together. Pain hurts for a couple of days. You'll be out of the gym for 3-4 weeks then you'll lift easy for and extra 1-2 weeks. Very minor. Not a big deal at all. One word of advice, take a lot of Metamucil or fiber after the surgery, more than you normally do. They cut into your stomach muscles and it's hard to take a crap without flexing or using your stomach muscles. So to make it easier, up the fiber. I took pain pills the day of the surgery only. The pain goes away quickly. Plus, if they give you the option of having those tubes implanted that drip novocain on the surgery site for two days, take it. The time I had that implanted, I didn't need any pain pills and was outside grilling steaks after the surgery. No pain whatsoever since it was just numb. You just pull all the tubes after a couple of days.

I've had 3 in my life. Go ahead and lift up until surgery. Mesh takes just a little longer to heal than if they sew it together. Pain hurts for a couple of days. You'll be out of the gym for 3-4 weeks then you'll lift easy for and extra 1-2 weeks. Very minor. Not a big deal at all. One word of advice, take a lot of Metamucil or fiber after the surgery, more than you normally do. They cut into your stomach muscles and it's hard to take a crap without flexing or using your stomach muscles. So to make it easier, up the fiber. I took pain pills the day of the surgery only. The pain goes away quickly. Plus, if they give you the option of having those tubes implanted that drip novocain on the surgery site for two days, take it. The time I had that implanted, I didn't need any pain pills and was outside grilling steaks after the surgery. No pain whatsoever since it was just numb. You just pull all the tubes after a couple of days.

Awesome. Scared to take a dump now. Lol. I've never taken Metamucil, never had a need. I wont eat for 4 days til it starts healling - joke. Thanks! But why have you had to have THREE? All the same spot??

I had an umbilical hernia. They repaired four hernias while in there. I made sure he knew I wanted no visible scar due to bodybuilding competition. He told me to stay on AAS and HGH. The HGH helped me recover very quickly. It wasn't painful at all. I was back lifting heavy after 9 days, even though he insisted I only do cardio for a month. I started doing cardio the day after the surgery. I trained all the way up until the time of the surgery. If you train before the surgery, wrap a belt snugly around the hernia. I was told to wear the belt backwards with a towel rolled underneathe it to apply constant pressure to the hernia. The last thing you want is it to fully pop your intestines out and strangulate. This can cause death within a half hour. You will feel a hundred times better after the surgery if you have a good surgeon.

i'm 43 and had laproscopic surgery for my umbilical hernia. I actually waited 12 weeks to get back into the gym and other stuff. one of the side effects from the laproscopic surgery was i ended up with a condition called diastasis recti...mostly found in women after giving birth. The abdominal muscles detach from the ligaments and creat a pouch in the abdomen, so it looks like i have a small gut. The doctor said it does sometimes occur but can be brought on by straining to much to soon after the surgery. I'd just ask the Dr. who is doing the surgery about this condition. It sucked for a while. Its a better now but it did take 6 months.

Excellent info in this thread. I'm thinking about having mine taken care of in November.
Side note: I've had mine for a couple years. My dr told that if I chose to I could just live with it. He says the surgery is more for cosmetic reasons.
Do you agree?
This was my previous dr. my new dr wants me to have the surgery soon.

Excellent info in this thread. I'm thinking about having mine taken care of in November.
Side note: I've had mine for a couple years. My dr told that if I chose to I could just live with it. He says the surgery is more for cosmetic reasons.
Do you agree?

It's not just for cosmetic reasons. As bodybuilders, we strain a lot and it can push the intestines out all the way which means death if not in surgery in a half hour. This happened to my friend at the gym. He got in surgery asap and had a large part of his intestines removed. I let my hernia go for a few years..getting it fixed was the best thing I ever did.

It's not just for cosmetic reasons. As bodybuilders, we strain a lot and it can push the intestines out all the way which means death if not in surgery in a half hour. This happened to my friend at the gym. He got in surgery asap and had a large part of his intestines removed. I let my hernia go for a few years..getting it fixed was the best thing I ever did.

Excellent. Thanks for the response. It's interesting to me that me old dr told me that surgery would not be covered by insurance. That is part of the reason I put it off. My new dr said that insurance will for sure cover it.
I'm def gonna have it taken care of soon.
Again, thanks for the response.

Do you agree?

Mine started hurting top the touch, and when it did, my Dr. got me in ASAP. Its no friken joke

I had surgery last april on mine and instead of not lifting for six weeks I decided to lift after a week and it popped right back out. Take the full time off to let it heal and recover instead of going in for surgery twice. :banghead:

I've got one also. It just looks like an oute (my spelling sucks) bellybutton. I went to the doctor and she said just keep an eye on it and at this point leave well enough alone. Do you guys think this was good advice?

Last edited:
I've got one also. It just looks like an oute (my spelling sucks) bellybutton. I went to the doctor and she said just keep an eye on it and at this point leave well enough alone. Do you guys think this was good advice?

Bad advice, the sooner you get it done the better. I had to push mine back in alot, and it was disgusting , not to mention when I would climb a deer stand it got caught on the steps at about 20 feet and I almost fell off the steps. Get it done sooner rather than later.

I have an Umbilical and inguinal hernia, about 3 years ago the inguinal hernia protruded out so i decided to have it fixed. Went to surgery clinic and first question they ask was if i had insurance. I said no. The dr. had me lay on my back and he pushed the protrusion back in, told me i would be fine and said i could leave. they were shredding papers at front desk as i was leaving!!! No doubt ones i had just filled out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws