over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Motivational question after major surgery

teslacsten

Registered
Hello, I have lifted religiously for 20 years now, but I was back in school and discovered I had lupus. The worse kind, but I can live a so-so life with about 50 pills a day and a shot in the stomach (like insulin) I'm now 39 and last year I spent 8 months getting a (grapefruit size) tumor on the left lung cut out and my bottom lobe on my left side cut off. The 8 months were in ICU and fucking miserable. When I entered the hospital I was hovering around 300-305 pounds. When I left I couldn't walk and weighed 190. Having body dysmorphia didn't help shit either. I have gained some weight back (285-90) I'm still so fucking short on breath and just can't even get a descent cardio workout in on the treadmill going flat at about 3.0. I need some help or suggestions on how to build my lung power up. I have been out of the hospital for almost a year and still just can't get it done. Any ideas or others that went through anything similar or had similar problems, please give me some advice. I'm trying to lose weight, and the diet is no problem, but when your fat ass can only get up for five to ten minutes at a time, it's hard to burn many calories. The weight sounds like I'm huge, but I'm 6' tall. Right now, I'm not sure about bf, but my stomach is majorly distended. Motivation please. Thanks guys

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis and ensuing issues. I don't think your problem is one that can be answered easily. Hopefully Stewie or someone with a medical background can add something to this.

One thing, to say you put on some weight and your back up to 285 to 290lbs is an understatement. 6' is fairly tall but at your weight, that's still big! A guess at body fat % would help. Since you say your "stomach is majorly distended", I would guess that concentrating on losing weight would be the first step...That's a lot of mass to pump oxygen to, especially when you consider you have compromised lung function. Sounds like it's time to really get the body fat down.

I wish you the best in dealing with the disease and also getting yourself to good point physically.

Hey brother! You've been around...you're smart...you know how it works. You start slow...diet...walking and biking..Stairmaster.....light lbs high reps. It's a long term commitment. You can do it! You know the confidence and sense of well being is so rewarding

After being laid up for a couple years with a leg injury. I got back into it all slowly and just did what I could the first year. The second year I started with a personal trainer and looking back wish I wouldve done this to start. It was just an extra push to have someone else there to push you out of your comfort zone and to continue to progress.

Start slowly. Add 1 minute to your cardio every week. I know that different meds and condition can cause hunger issues but you have to fight to overcome the hunger and try to do low carb diet. Talk to your doctors and ask if you would benefit from water only fasting. Make sure you talk to your doctors first and look it up online how to properly do it. For your lung function I would suggest swimming especially underwater swimming.

Good luck,

TT

There are meds to open up remaining airways to maximize oxygen uptake, discuss with your pulmonologist. You could get a small oxygen tank, or an oxygen compressor (home) with a hose to help with your breathing and O2 levels. Once the weight is lost, you won't need these.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the oxygen tank or compressor is to be used while doing cardio. Your increased O2 blood levels will allow more intense cardio sessions, reducing the shortness of breath, and help you to loose weight.

Hello, I have lifted religiously for 20 years now, but I was back in school and discovered I had lupus. The worse kind, but I can live a so-so life with about 50 pills a day and a shot in the stomach (like insulin) I'm now 39 and last year I spent 8 months getting a (grapefruit size) tumor on the left lung cut out and my bottom lobe on my left side cut off. The 8 months were in ICU and fucking miserable. When I entered the hospital I was hovering around 300-305 pounds. When I left I couldn't walk and weighed 190. Having body dysmorphia didn't help shit either. I have gained some weight back (285-90) I'm still so fucking short on breath and just can't even get a descent cardio workout in on the treadmill going flat at about 3.0. I need some help or suggestions on how to build my lung power up. I have been out of the hospital for almost a year and still just can't get it done. Any ideas or others that went through anything similar or had similar problems, please give me some advice. I'm trying to lose weight, and the diet is no problem, but when your fat ass can only get up for five to ten minutes at a time, it's hard to burn many calories. The weight sounds like I'm huge, but I'm 6' tall. Right now, I'm not sure about bf, but my stomach is majorly distended. Motivation please. Thanks guys

Drop a load of weight and your problems will go and your look better as stomach goes. Not being able to do cardio is not an issue in the slightest, it's so over rated for fat loss it's silly, any man can get to 10% with just diet and lifting, or even just diet if holding muscle not a concern. Don't believe me? Where are all the over weight coma victims. I've always lived by the rule no cardio until abbs are visable and there are no love handles. Save it until it's needed. When I'm bulked up I feel a lot more unfit even doing lots of cardio then when I'm dieting down with 0 cardio. Once your lighter you lungs will power you body easy and cardio will become a breeze. I've always had shit Lung power but when I drop to a lean 220 I can cardio or run for ever

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws