over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Multiple Exercises vs. One for Growth

B-Trotter

Registered
Hi,

Would you say that, to build maximum muscle, it'd be preferential to pick one major compound exercise per bodypart and get as strong as possible in it?

Or would you suggest multiple exercises for maximum muscle mass?

Thanks guys.

Tough one but for me personally just one big one and work the piss out of it. Although for chest I do 2 and back 3 or 4. Traps are by far my best part and ive only ever done one or two sets of barbell shrugs per week.

Depends on how hard you're hitting that one set. Frequency, total sets, recovery, etc. lot of variables bro

I think that focusing on a major/compound lift for each body part and trying to get stronger and stronger on it each week is the way to grow when you are a beginner/novice.

Once you have established a decent strength base and are an intermediate level lifter, I think that multiple exercises/volume based routines provide the best growth.

I believe this is the way to go because once you are intermediate level, you are able to do volume work with weights that are heavy enough to promote growth. If a noob comes out doing volume right out of the gate but with very light weight, progress will be minimal.

How about pick multiple exercises and simultaneously get stronger at all of them? I think that may be the best route.

One exercise can cause over use injuries. I'd pick a hand full of exercises, use them in different work outs. And focus on progressing each one.

One exercise can cause over use injuries. I'd pick a hand full of exercises, use them in different work outs. And focus on progressing each one.

Yup! DC training. Gained a lot of size doing this for years. Doing mountain dog training now

I agree! I did this in the beginning training only bench press for chest and I got hurt. It puts all the stress in the same exact part of the pecs.

Ive always used quite a few diffrent workouts to work one muscle it eas how i was taught .

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Here's my current routine which I complete EOD:

A1]

Incline Neck Press 3 x 8-12
Seated Overhead Presss 2 x 8-12
Tricep Pushdowns - 3 x 10-20

B1]

T-Bar Rows - 3 x 6-12
Close-Grip EZ Curls - 2 x 6-15
Barbell Squats - 3 x 8-15

A2]

Flat Bench Press - 3 x 5-10
Landmine Press - 2 x 8-15

B2]

Seated Cable Rows - 3 x 6-12
Wide-Grip EZ Curls - 2 x 6-15

What's your opinions' on this guys? I don't gain strength in the exercises like I used to; I'm lucky if I add a rep to every other session.

I should probably note that I'm on 500mg Test E and Dbol 30mg ed. I then cruise on 150mg (TRT).

Cheers lads.

Hi,

Would you say that, to build maximum muscle, it'd be preferential to pick one major compound exercise per bodypart and get as strong as possible in it?

Or would you suggest multiple exercises for maximum muscle mass?

Thanks guys.

Here is my take on that subjet:

Pick a few excercise between the following and just focus on getting stronger (and then stronger still) on them at a medium rep range (8-12 reps).

Deadlifts, barbell squats, barbell bench press, Standing overhead barbell press, dips, barbell rows, chin ups.

good luck.

I just saw your routine...

I would focus and start with the best and most productive excercise first (bench, deadlifts, squats, etc) then follow with secondary excercise.

I think that focusing on a major/compound lift for each body part and trying to get stronger and stronger on it each week is the way to grow when you are a beginner/novice.

Once you have established a decent strength base and are an intermediate level lifter, I think that multiple exercises/volume based routines provide the best growth.

I believe this is the way to go because once you are intermediate level, you are able to do volume work with weights that are heavy enough to promote growth. If a noob comes out doing volume right out of the gate but with very light weight, progress will be minimal.

I think that this makes great sense. My problem is in gaining strength at the speed I'd like. Patience is key I suppose.

Thanks buddy.

How old are you B-trotter? Age has a lot to do with how much stronger you can/will get.

How old are you B-trotter? Age has a lot to do with how much stronger you can/will get.

Hi,

I'm 27 bud. Here's some of my lifts:

Squats - 130kg (286lbs) x 10
bench press - 110kg (242lbs) x 5
overhead press - 90kg (198lbs) x 5

I have long limbs and I'm not sure if that contributes to my poor numbers or not.

I think that this makes great sense. My problem is in gaining strength at the speed I'd like. Patience is key I suppose.

Thanks buddy.

as long as you are always increasing its ok.

there are times when you will get strong quickly, but that is usually playing catch up and returning to your previous bests, after that progress is slow, every time you get back to the same exercise all you should expect is like 2 more reps, then add like 2.5lbs to each side. that will drop you back to the lower end of your rep range and you work back up to the top of it...

I have 3 different workouts per muscle group, always when I get back to one I increase in some way, sometimes its volume...

increases in weight, reps, volume, all effective tools.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Here's my current routine which I complete EOD:

A1]

Incline Neck Press 3 x 8-12
Seated Overhead Presss 2 x 8-12

B1]

T-Bar Rows - 3 x 6-12
Close-Grip EZ Curls - 2 x 6-15

A2]

Flat Bench Press - 3 x 5-10
Landmine Press - 2 x 8-15

B2]

Seated Cable Rows - 3 x 6-12
Wide-Grip EZ Curls - 2 x 6-15

What's your opinions' on this guys? I don't gain strength in the exercises like I used to; I'm lucky if I add a rep to every other session.

I should probably note that I'm on 500mg Test E and Dbol 30mg ed. I then cruise on 150mg (TRT).

Cheers lads.

Your back is the largest area with different muscles. Doing some chins or pull downs as well would be Ideal.

Hi,

I'm 27 bud. Here's some of my lifts:

Squats - 130kg (286lbs) x 10
bench press - 110kg (242lbs) x 5
overhead press - 90kg (198lbs) x 5

I have long limbs and I'm not sure if that contributes to my poor numbers or not.

Ok, you are still young enough to get stronger. Also remember, some of us are not very strong to begin with and never will be. That shouldn't deter you from trying, but keep that in the back of your mind. I think rotating exercises, varying reps and even volume are all great ways to push past plateaus. Are you eating enough cals?

Did I read correctly that you are doing the same full body routine 3x a week?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear