over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Conditioning work

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Wondering how many of you incorporate any conditioning based workouts into your routines. As I get older (ok I'm not old yet compared to many of you), I worry more about my flexibility and functionality, while maintaining my size. I don't want to just do bodybuilding workouts 100% of the time anymore. Problem is I could use help coming up with a plan. I do plenty of HIIT cardio but feel I should do more. I see people using the rope sleds and things of that nature and it looks like it would be useful. I'm even thinking about taking free conditioning based classes at my gym.

Anyone feel free to chime in

I like incorporate conditioning (GPP) training into my workouts. Usually stick to sled pulling or tire flipping in the street in front of my house, but sometimes I incorporate using a sledge hammer hitting the tire. I live in the south so it gets too hot to do this outside during the summer months so I usually just walk on a treadmill on an incline during the summer. I had shoulder surgery back in December and haven't been able to do any kind of real training lately. I plan to start doing sled pulls again this week as part of my rehab. I plan on doing them twice a week and keeping the sled light.

My split. Weights x3 plus BJJ x3 per week- can't beat rolling for conditioning. Also a big fan of hill sprints

My split. Weights x3 plus BJJ x3 per week- can't beat rolling for conditioning.

Agreed. I train judo 4-6 times a week and it's amazing how smoked you are after a 30 minute randori (sparring) session.

The martial arts are awesome for flexibility/mobility and just overall athleticism as well.

Also do you guys do this post weights or on different days? I'm thinking of doing weights MWF and conditioning stuff TueThuSat. I actually am really considering taking these free classes my gym has. I'm paying a lot to be a member so I might as well

Lift M-W-F play basketball, rock climb, hike, soccer, surf etc on other days. Doing any of these would keep you flexible and functioning. Plus I feel like it would be more fun then just standard conditioning. Just keep your diet on point. Even something like yoga once a week would be a good option. I know a lot of the big gyms offer this for free if your already a member.

Last edited:
I went to a small college and played football and basketball. I still go there and jump into practices at least once a week, and since some of these guys are trying to get noticed for scholarships (it is a Div III school) the guys have set up scheduled independent practices and tournaments. Nothing major but 18-22 year old athletes who are 150-200 pounds make for a hell of a cardio session, as my 250 pound ass has a hard time keeping up with them up and down the courts.

Burpee exercises are pretty cool. You can do them so many different ways. Builds explosive power. No way I could do them on weight training days but will do some on ab days.
I like some of the MMA style of conditioning

So many folks

Put a huge emphasis on createing /building muscle but you hardly see any here working on joint ligament and tendon health. Many here with torn pecs acl issues shoulder impingements tennis elbow and knee /hip injuries. Without the health of those just mentioned all the muscles in the world will allow u to look great but have the strength of a5yr /old.. The older one becomes should be of the greatest importance to keep those mobility issues a first in ones life...pro

Also do you guys do this post weights or on different days? I'm thinking of doing weights MWF and conditioning stuff TueThuSat. I actually am really considering taking these free classes my gym has. I'm paying a lot to be a member so I might as well

Split days for sure. Shit... at 45 and only TRT I got no choice but to split the days :)

I need to do this myself. My training is like cardio sometimes but I just added in actual cardio so that is a good start for me. Most good gyms offer great classes incorporating conditioning work. My old gym offered military style classes (incorporating ropes and tires etc) which looked good but I never tried them out. I basically need to add in anything that incorporates lots of movement, bodyweight strength and cardio all at once. I know you used to play basketball so that is something worthwhile. I might start doing yoga again too as I definitely need it :eek::D

That's kinda what I do. I'll lift 4 times a week, and then train judo the other 3 days. For the past month I've been lifting in the morning and adding a judo class in in the evening of the same day and feel great. I'm finding it's much easier to stay leaner while not affecting my size/strength gains.

Some guys may say you won't be able to "recover" from all of the training with the schedule you outlined in your post, but I've found that as long as your diet and sleep are dialed in, you should be fine if you're gradual with it. A lot of times, the extra "cardio" sessions actually help with recovery.

Maybe start out just adding in 1 extra session a week and then gradually work in more?

You mentioned you're more looking for the health benefits of this, but it can also be highly effective for gaining lean tissue while staying leaner than you otherwise would.

I always go back to what Dante talked about when he says turn yourself into a "muscle building fat burning blast furnace"; (John Berardi has written about this and calls it "G-Flux" Eat a ton of food, do a ton of overall activity (lifting and energy systems work) (gradually adding it in and progressing volume-wise), and you'll grow more and stay leaner in the process.)

What type of conditioning are u into? conditioning for what activity? Are u talking just cardio conditioning or like agility training is always fun - shuttle runs, cone drills, etc... Or maybe practice skills like your vert and long jumps, or your 40 times

I use to do a lot of that stuff

I play basketball - and any other sport when I can - but don't really do anything like crossfit type conditioning. I may be a short white dude - but I can shoot the lights out and have handles like Curry (ok - that is a straight up lie - but I can dribble pretty good :D )

yep on my off days i play soccer or throw the football with my friends. I mean route running and i make my self do 5 and 7 step dropbacks like QBs do for the addee cardio...youd be surprised. Have a friend run some routes for you, take a snap and do some good 5-7 step drop backs, and make the pass...after just 10 or so you will feel it. The awesome thing is too i love it...I also do conditioning in the gym after weights sometimes if i am in the mood, KB swings, burpees, pushups, pull ups, tire flips, sled pulls, etc. i just make huge circuits.

I have a nice area outside my home gym set up for sled runs, sprints, farmer's walks etc. Now that the weather is getting nice I need to start using it.

The way I look at it, these type of things can replace a HIIT workout. Just use the same high intensity and training for a similar time.

Mobility work is different. I like to do that on off days, but truthfully I haven't done any in while.

I was doing a couple heavy lifting days and then a couple circuit days. Those circuit days were intense. I'd never sweat so much lifting. I can honestly say that I definitely felt my conditioning improve after doing this for a bit. I'd do a total of 3 circuits twice each and after a while I was getting them 3 times each with a little juice left over. They went a little like this

Horizontal pushing exercise
Quad dominant
Vertical pulling exercise
Hamstring dominant
Abs

After doing that 3 times without a break I'd rest for 2-3 minutes and then start the next circuit . The next circuit would be similar and the final one would focus on calves, arms, shoulders and abs. I saw a difference in my body and conditioning. If you want the article let me know and I can send you the link.

What type of conditioning are u into? conditioning for what activity? Are u talking just cardio conditioning or like agility training is always fun - shuttle runs, cone drills, etc... Or maybe practice skills like your vert and long jumps, or your 40 times

I use to do a lot of that stuff

That kind of NFL combine stuff would be fun but I don't really have access. Like elvia said, I play basketball sometimes, it just costs money to play every time and I have to travel for it. I think I'll start taking some free conditioning classes and maybe even some free boxing classes.

Lately I've been finding cross fit to be a challenge. I don't do kipping pullups tho that would be blow my shoulders.

In the summer I also like to ride a bike and I have three boys so I make sure we do those playground workouts (dips and shit).

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear