over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

intermittent fasting and chewing tobacco

Hitman407

Registered
Does chewing Copenhagen during your (fast) break the cycle or mess it up at all? there is no calories in it so I don't see why it would, but there are a lot of other chemicals and nicotine in the tobacco. if someone with some real knowledge on this could share some light bc I cant find the answer on a google search. and don't give me the bs tobacco is bad for your health blah blah, I just want to know if it actually messes up my 16-18 hour fast? thanks!

Does chewing Copenhagen during your (fast) break the cycle or mess it up at all? there is no calories in it so I don't see why it would, but there are a lot of other chemicals and nicotine in the tobacco. if someone with some real knowledge on this could share some light bc I cant find the answer on a google search. and don't give me the bs tobacco is bad for your health blah blah, I just want to know if it actually messes up my 16-18 hour fast? thanks!

In the true sense of fasting, yes it will. Same goes for caffeine or anything that can act as a stimulant. I'll have to look it up but I remember listening to a podcast a while back with a researcher from some university talking about how caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants will "break" your fast and will create an insulin response as a result.

Obviously it doesn't contain calories so it won't make a real difference in terms of fat loss, but in the true sense of IF, you should only consume water.

For the record, when I have done IF or if I do, I still have caffeine jus because I'd rather have the boost from the caffeine than try to stay 100% fasted.

I could never fast since I chew regularly.... Hey look on the bright side, it releases neurotransmitters to the brain and serotonin. That way when your dieting your not sucking as bad. Thats my justification or excuse I suppose?

In the true sense of fasting, yes it will. Same goes for caffeine or anything that can act as a stimulant. I'll have to look it up but I remember listening to a podcast a while back with a researcher from some university talking about how caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants will "break" your fast and will create an insulin response as a result.

Obviously it doesn't contain calories so it won't make a real difference in terms of fat loss, but in the true sense of IF, you should only consume water.

For the record, when I have done IF or if I do, I still have caffeine jus because I'd rather have the boost from the caffeine than try to stay 100% fasted.

so in a sense it will break it and cause the insulin response and I wont produce the extra boost of GH? hell I don't see a way I could go do my workout fasted and not even have a preworkout(zero calories) to give me a lil extra drive and focus

so in a sense it will break it and cause the insulin response and I wont produce the extra boost of GH? hell I don't see a way I could go do my workout fasted and not even have a preworkout(zero calories) to give me a lil extra drive and focus

Well it's something that I did research a lot when I was studying in my undergrad and there is a fair amount of research on it. The thing is it creates an insulin response because your body has to process it so even if it doesn't have calories. The theory behind why IF has shown so many health benefits is that one's circadian rhythm is lined up between one's sleep cycle and their digestion cycle. IF works to minimize the digestion cycle to shorter periods. The issue with things like caffeine, nicotine or any stimulants is that it will start that digestion cycle because the body will work to process them, defeating some of the benefits of IF.

As far as it hindering the boost in GH, well honestly, I don't think IF (the traditional 16-18 hour approach) will really boost endogenous GH to any significant level. An acute fast of 48-72 hours might, but I also think that any endogenous gh production will be fairly insignificant. From my research and personal experience, I believe the fat loss benefits that come from anecdotal experience is more attributed to people generally eating less cals in a limited eating window than if they were eating throughout the day.

Sorry to ramble on there but guess my point is that I don't think you'll be missing out on much by having nicotine during your fast. But it will technically "break" your fast.

in my experience, you'll be fine if you chew or drink plain black coffee or use fat burners during the fast. they won't break the fast. in my experience, using stimulants (nicotine, caffeine, etc..) during the fast actually speeds up fat loss a noticeable amount.

would love to hear nymuscle's take on this..

no. hitman, you'll get all the benefits of fasting as long as you don't take in any calories. taking simulants is fine and you'll actually put your body in an even better state for fat burning by using the stimulants.

I wouldn't worry about it at all..

Try nicotine lozenges. They won't give you gum cancer.

Well it's something that I did research a lot when I was studying in my undergrad and there is a fair amount of research on it. The thing is it creates an insulin response because your body has to process it so even if it doesn't have calories. The theory behind why IF has shown so many health benefits is that one's circadian rhythm is lined up between one's sleep cycle and their digestion cycle. IF works to minimize the digestion cycle to shorter periods. The issue with things like caffeine, nicotine or any stimulants is that it will start that digestion cycle because the body will work to process them, defeating some of the benefits of IF.

As far as it hindering the boost in GH, well honestly, I don't think IF (the traditional 16-18 hour approach) will really boost endogenous GH to any significant level. An acute fast of 48-72 hours might, but I also think that any endogenous gh production will be fairly insignificant. From my research and personal experience, I believe the fat loss benefits that come from anecdotal experience is more attributed to people generally eating less cals in a limited eating window than if they were eating throughout the day.

Sorry to ramble on there but guess my point is that I don't think you'll be missing out on much by having nicotine during your fast. But it will technically "break" your fast.

ok thanks. I appreciate the good words and your personal knowledge on it brotha

no. hitman, you'll get all the benefits of fasting as long as you don't take in any calories. taking simulants is fine and you'll actually put your body in an even better state for fat burning by using the stimulants.

I wouldn't worry about it at all..

That's not true bother. You definitely won't get all the benefits of fasting. You might not miss out on any of the fat loss aspects of going without eating since there will be no calories in any stimulants, but that's it. The benefits that come from fasting (as demonstrated in studies) come from the digestive system being inactive during the fasting period. Stimulants will start the digestive processes, defeating some aspects of the fast.

Depending on one's goals and why they are fasting, it likely won't matter much (as I mentioned I've used caffeine during fasts before). But if you want all the benefits of a fast, you should stick to water only.

ok thanks. I appreciate the good words and your personal knowledge on it brotha

For sure brother. Happy to give my input. Either way I think you're good whichever route you take in terms of real world effects.

That's not true bother. You definitely won't get all the benefits of fasting. You might not miss out on any of the fat loss aspects of going without eating since there will be no calories in any stimulants, but that's it. The benefits that come from fasting (as demonstrated in studies) come from the digestive system being inactive during the fasting period. Stimulants will start the digestive processes, defeating some aspects of the fast.

Depending on one's goals and why they are fasting, it likely won't matter much (as I mentioned I've used caffeine during fasts before). But if you want all the benefits of a fast, you should stick to water only.

agreed allday. I was only referring to the "fat loss benefits" of fasting, should have specified that

As I am sure you have been told be careful with chew. Nicotine gum or patches will speed up the metabolism and help with hunger but actual chewing tobacco has a host of addictive behaviors that are hard to kick. I don't think a few weeks of using as a tool will hamper you though.

agreed allday. I was only referring to the "fat loss benefits" of fasting, should have specified that

Agreed.

Also, insulin response + no food = lowered blood sugar = MORE fat burning.

I always have a scoop of leucine in the mornings when I fast

Ah true. Can't disagree with you there. And I was just speaking on "true" fasting in the technical sense. For all intents and purposes I still have caffeine (occasionally some nicotine gum), or a preworkout that might have 1-2 grams of carbs if I'm going to be fasting because I don't believe "true" fasting will make a big enough difference to try to only consume water during it.

Agreed.

Also, insulin response + no food = lowered blood sugar = MORE fat burning.

I always have a scoop of leucine in the mornings when I fast

Also a really good point there.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member