over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Great Info on Protein-by Massive G

xcelbeyond

The "Elder" Mod
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This info from Massive G was too good to not post here :cool:

Shit Rajj you know I am gonna write a long post on this. :eek:

First off everyone should learn how there body reacts to protein and how their metabolism is. Just like training. To me nutrition is 70% of the battle and responsible for most of my gains no matter what AAs or how I trained my gains were/ are concurrent with my nutrition program. I eat a high protein diet that's no secret. My body hates carbs. I eat very few simple sugars and mostly complex carbs and those are cut by 7 PM. I wrote this post a while ago in reference to eating the protein first in a meal. I beleive in eating for function. That is protein first, carbs second, veggies last. I don't mix fats and carbs the only time I mix simple sugars and proteins are in my pre and post work out shakes. A lot depends on the absorbability of the protein itself which is influenced by it's type. A lot of old timer will remember this thing called the P.E.R. or the Protein Effeciency Ratio from the early 1990's. This was before Whey Protein and it was used to sell egg and milk proteins commercially. I think Nature's Best abused that line the most as I was seeing "P.E.R. P.E.R. P.E.R." dancing through my head at night while I slept.
Things like Eggs and fish are more complete protein and absorbed better than ground beef and pork, chicken and turkey are better absorbed than soy and milk proteins etc.

I routinely eat 600 grams of protein a day without blinking over 3-4 solid meals and 3-5 shakes that includes daily pre and post and night time shakes.
Sometimes I will drink pastuerized egg whites as a meal replacement which is 50 grams per pop. I am lucky my digestion is in very good shape and when ever I post a diet people always reply "You must be on the toilet all day" nope not to discuss this "shit" but I stay regular whether on 600 800 or 400 grams of protein a day.

Here is some of the post I wrote on eating protein first and eating for function: There was a recent thread on Mayhem in which someone questioned DANTE's advice to eat the protein first. I thought I'd share it here and added some more clarification on my part why we do this. Dante could probably write 2 books on this stuff so what I write most already know or maybe not.
Every few years I have posted it and always get a few people that benefit from it. DC'ers already eat proteins first but I thought I'd share why since I have eaten for function since day 1.

DC::Think for a second--If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

If I can add something here to further back Dante's theories:
Eating protein first in a meal increases the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall amount of protein as an end result in from a meal. In short a greater amount of aminos make it to the blood stream. Everytime I have written about this in the past few years people always are like "WOW I learned something new today".

I call it eating for function...the function of the digestive system.
I eat proteins first for 2 reasons-that digestive system is physiologically(enzymatically) geared that way and it improves the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall availability of proteins/aminos from food for the body to use.

Carbohydrates are digested 30% in the mouth with the salivary enzyme amylase and with of course chewing aiding the cause.
CARBS aren't digested in the stomach=they just sit there and slowly pass into the small intestines where the pancreatic enzymes do 70% more and complete the process. Fats are the same way if eaten first or mixed with carbs will sit there and clog up digestion.

Proteins are primarily digested in the stomach. Therefore, eating proteins after these foods will result in a reduced amount of protein digestion-leaving some incompletely digested and unabsorbable and therefore lost.
This in turn causes the undigested protein to be pulled into the small intestine reducing the protein effeciency of your meal and contributing to the mass of your colon.

You want something worse? We are set up by traditional eating to fail.
Go out to a steak house. First thing you get is your salad-THAT is the last thing you want to eat in a meal after the steak and then the potato.
Cellulose is undigestable by the human body and will really clog up the process reducing the effeciency of digestion and your meal itself.

As mentioned previously proteins speed up the metabolic rate more than carbs and fat. Concerning basal metabolism proteins speed it up 30%, Carbs and fats 10%. The mere process of digestion and absorbtion of protein races the metabolism and will increase anabolism in an advanced athlete.

Now granted you can eat a huge meal like a McDonald's Combo meal mix it all up and it will get digested but it will interfere with feedings and the effeciency of the meal will be less and eventually lead to a lot of adipose tissue gain.

There are reasons we eat Protein and Fat together and protein and carbs. Insulin. Eating fat and carbs are a death warrant to bb'ers when consumed together and lays adipose tissue down as easily as Home Depot lays down cheap carpet.

I could write more especially on the types of proteins and their absorbtion-things like incomplete proteins etc.

Anyhoo..just my 2 cents. We are all here to learn from each other but Dante's methods are backed by science and 3-4 years of online "University" studies with 100's reaping the benefits-so it is good advice and gospel for most ADVANCED lifters.

PEACE.
This was a good post too in the thread:
Protein will serve you a dual role in body modification in that it is as important for body fat reduction as it is for muscular gains. In regards to body fat reduction, protein has a specific dynamic action on the metabolism which means that when you ingest protein, your metabolic rate is elevated higher and remains elevated longer than when you ingest either fats or carbohydrates. A high carb meal will only elevate your metabolism from 4 to 30 percent above normal. This small elevation will last only 2 to 5 hours. A high protein meal however will elevate your metabolism by up to 70 percent above normal and this effect can last as long as 10 to 12 hours."

The entire thread is on mayhem and I thought I'd bring at least some good points out of it and add it here for others benefits.

http://www.chadnicholls.net/forums/...ead.php?t=19663

Very easy to squeeze a lot of protein in Raj if that is your goal. You can eat 4 meals a day and squeeze in protein shakes in between meals as well as your post WO and night time shake will be contributing heavily to your overall daily count.

I don't use commerical proteins I use eithe TP's Whey ion X @90 grams per serving or eggwhites in liquid form @ 50-60 grams per serving, and or liquid beef aminos in between or with a meal to contribute to the overall. All of the above don't clog up my appetite or bloat me so it is easy to get 9-10 feedings a day for a 24 hr amnio pool to pull from.
I really like the night time anticatabolic shakes and have been taking them for over 5 years now.

I used to wake up flat in the morning and find sleep very catabolic. I have always used a micellar casein/Calcium caseinate/whey Ion X/Glutamine blend which I buy in bulk from true protein and previously protein customizer and or the factory.

I would like to state too I am always learning always searching and always experimenting with foods. There are a lot of things I wanna try and Phil and Dante and some other guys out there that are tops in the nutrition department see questions from em often and I may switch diets later in life as I tone things down. Currently, high protein is what works for my goals in buliding and maintaining muscle.

interesting concepts

Massive G

why is cosuming carbohydrates and fat together a death wish for gaining fat? I've heard this too in the past, but from what i read it seems beneficial.

Conan21 said:
Massive G

why is cosuming carbohydrates and fat together a death wish for gaining fat? I've heard this too in the past, but from what i read it seems beneficial.

Carbs cause insulin spike. Insulin is a nutrient carrier. It deposits the nutrients where they are supposed to go. Fat goes where?

Ok well eating protein first you say is more effecient for digesting and getting the most out of protein. What about the insulin spike you get from carbs, wouldnt that help transport the protein better, hence eat carbs n protein at the same time?

Perhaps

but also

doesn't fat slow down the release of carbs into the blood stream? which would lead to a more cradual lower insulin level? what if you were eating low GI carbs to begin with?

maybe this would be true if u just ate a bunch of candy and then ate fat?

how much before should you eat protein...

ex. my dinner meals m-f are either 3/4lb of ground chicken or beef with 3/4 bag brown rice all mixed together with some kida dressing...

or

3/4lb chicken cutlets mixed with teryaki and 1/2 box cuscus...

if i were to change and eat protein first... how much time should i leave before eating the carbs...

as it is it only takes me 3-5min to finish the entire meal...

so if i were to eat the protein first 1.5-2.5min and then eat the carbs 30 seconds after for 1.5 to 2.5 min would it really make that much of a difference...

just to add... at present even though everything is mixed together in a bowl i do try and scoop or fork more meat per mouthful and then scoop up the remaining cuscus or brown rice afterward

TooPowerful4u said:
Ok well eating protein first you say is more effecient for digesting and getting the most out of protein. What about the insulin spike you get from carbs, wouldnt that help transport the protein better, hence eat carbs n protein at the same time?
The protein and aminos will still be in the small intestine and partially in the blood stream when the carbs come in.
I am only reffering to eating steak first, then potato or ice after that then veggies last.
No need to eat in timed increments although in a perfect world this would be best but hardly practical in any lifestyle.

Conan21 said:
but also

doesn't fat slow down the release of carbs into the blood stream? which would lead to a more cradual lower insulin level? what if you were eating low GI carbs to begin with?

maybe this would be true if u just ate a bunch of candy and then ate fat?
Depends on your meatabolism. I don't eat fat and any type of carbs together(other than trace amounts) when I can help it as insulin will be raised more in the prescence of carbs and shuttles fat into cells quite effeciently as well during the is time so higher blood insulin levels when digesting fat =more FAT gets absorbed and layed down to the cells-IMO

Last edited:
G.E.R.M said:
how much before should you eat protein...

ex. my dinner meals m-f are either 3/4lb of ground chicken or beef with 3/4 bag brown rice all mixed together with some kida dressing...

or

3/4lb chicken cutlets mixed with teryaki and 1/2 box cuscus...

if i were to change and eat protein first... how much time should i leave before eating the carbs...

as it is it only takes me 3-5min to finish the entire meal...

so if i were to eat the protein first 1.5-2.5min and then eat the carbs 30 seconds after for 1.5 to 2.5 min would it really make that much of a difference...

just to add... at present even though everything is mixed together in a bowl i do try and scoop or fork more meat per mouthful and then scoop up the remaining cuscus or brown rice afterward
Like I said it's not neccessary to separate each portion out by timed injestion. I personally wouldn't mix them together and then add dressing..I'd eat meat first then the rice.
I will eat a steak,then work on my potato, then my salad or veggies.
Many people mix foods and do fine-but the purpose of this eating for function is to maximize the effeciency of the food you injest getting digested and absorbed as completely as possible. People eating the traditional way have more digestive problems. I have never eaten soup or salad first-but that's the way society is set up. ;)

Last edited:
Also I think it's important to add that I avoid solid proteins for 2-3 hours after my work out to save energy that would be expended for digestion (and would take away from recouperation) IMO. If I eat a big meal immediately or sometime after the PWO shake I am interfering with growth IMO and recovery is blunted a bit.
I wanna take advantage of every second of the super anabolic environment that exsists after a brief heavy work out session in which the body surges naturally GH T3 IGF-1 TEST Insulin etc for 2-3 hours.
I have done this for many years now and notice an increase in recovery 2-3 fold.
I injest a prework out shake as studies have shown that blood flow was increased 600% (by biopsy of muscle tissue) when a pre work out shake was injested of whey and malto. I may sip this during the work out as well.

IMMEDIATELY after the work out I slam a grape juice BCAA drink.

30 minutes later it's another whey/malto shake with prolly some taurine, CEE, Omega III caps and a multi vitamin (green source)

Approximately 1 hour or 1.5 later I will eat cottage cheese and some rice or potato.

1.5 hours later I will eat a large portion of lean beef or steak a healthy serving of vegetables and a salad.

I may eat another piece of steak or chicken or roast beef and a huge salad.

Prior to bed I will have a night time shake which will consist of micellar casein and whey ion x. This and the pre post work out shake have helped me gain keep maintain and recouperate more than any drug stack or special supplement ever.

Sleep on an empty stomach is very catabolic and when dieting I will blast BCAA's in CL at night to fight it as well as several times in between meals to offset the catabolism that happens during the dieting process.

I have never had the need to use slin when I use this protocol for the pre post work out shakes cause my body is primed and surges slin after the work out from the two work out shakes alone. Trust me...you feel it! Your heart rate will speed up and your metabolism will race! You won't go hypo but your insulin is pumping out big time to shuttle these sugars/aminos into the cells as the body is in it's 2-3 window and trying to supercompensate after the work out. ALL you have to do is sprinkle in the spice-quick and easily absorbable nutrients using these shakes.

Trust me if you aren't gaining fast enough or at a sticking point implementing some of these things into your nutrition plan may be the jump start that you require to start gaining rapidly again.

99% of the time it's a nutritional problem as most people if anything overtrain and underfeed..adding in feedings at the right time and the proper combinations will really make a difference in your gains IMO.

It certainly has mine and the clients I advise as well as many peole on theses boards.

Massive G said:
I injest a prework out shake as studies have shown that blood flow was increased 600% (by biopsy of muscle tissue) when a pre work out shake was injested of whey and malto. I may sip this during the work out as well.

IMMEDIATELY after the work out I slam a grape juice BCAA drink.

30 minutes later it's another whey/malto shake with prolly some taurine, CEE, Omega III caps and a multi vitamin (green source)

Approximately 1 hour or 1.5 later I will eat cottage cheese and some rice or potato.

I do the pre/during workout shake also recently and have noticed a substantial difference without any fat gain as im still dieting for a show, and i keep getting leaner and leaner.

Now instead of the cottege cheese, would egg whites and oatmeal/oatbran 1.5hrs post workout be an acceptable quick digesting alternative to rice and cottege cheese?

Last edited:
I really don't think your body can tell the difference between protein eaten 3 mintues before carbs. When it's all mixed in your gut, it's not going to make a difference. As long as you eat enough protein in your meal, the carbs & fat are bonus. Most of my meals are wild rice mixed with ground chicken/turkey/beef or tuna, 1 cup of cottage cheese & a table spoon of udo's oil.

TooPowerful4u said:
I do the pre/during workout shake also recently and have noticed a substantial difference without any fat gain as im still dieting for a show, and i keep getting leaner and leaner.

Now instead of the cottege cheese, would egg whites and oatmeal/oatbran 1.5hrs post workout be an acceptable quick digesting alternative to rice and cottege cheese?
Yes Egg whites are a perfect option along with oatmeal.

dam, great thread!!

massg, feel free to post any other tidbits/info you have!

i always learn a ton whenever you post... even if it seems obvious/basic to you it really helps me out!

i will definately try using a pre workout shake (read researching against it...) and did know about the liquid proteins for the 1st meal after PWO shake, will try that too

Thanks for the props bro.

everyone
I just try to put info out there that I have benefitted from and applied to myself and many clients as well as people on the web and in real life.
I am not trying to convince anyone to do anything either.
The information is out there use it or not I don't care.
PEACE

Massive G said:
Thanks for the props bro.

everyone
I just try to put info out there that I have benefitted from and applied to myself and many clients as well as people on the web and in real life.
I am not trying to convince anyone to do anything either.
The information is out there use it or not I don't care.
PEACE

Your the Man MG!
I TRULY appreciate you sharing and helping us out.
I know you have put in YEARS of real life experiences and your Knowledge
is Greatly Valued.

Sorry I don't have a link to prove my point, but...

My mom was a health teacher for over 30 years. She tells me that you should eat your meat first. As I understand it, it is because your stomach has several different acids to digest the food. It will release a stronger acid for meat. If you eat your salad first, it will release the weaker acid and you won't fully digest the meat.

I will try to find a document that backs up this information, but I am working full time and going to school full time..... it is tough enough finding time to work out and sleep, let alone keep visiting the boards.

Qwert said:
I really don't think your body can tell the difference between protein eaten 3 mintues before carbs. When it's all mixed in your gut, it's not going to make a difference. As long as you eat enough protein in your meal, the carbs & fat are bonus. Most of my meals are wild rice mixed with ground chicken/turkey/beef or tuna, 1 cup of cottage cheese & a table spoon of udo's oil.

I would only add to this that... if you drink alot of water with your meal you dilute the digestive enzymes also. I have a little water to sip to get the food down and that's all. Some say it should be warm water only that goes in your body because it keeps the furnace going. I totally believe this but... yuk.

STORM SHADOW out

Excelbeyond my friend:

Wasn't it SwoleCat that posted his diet on the Old Fina Board? Though I wouldn't use it for my major bulking in the winter (one could though, it's just so hard to follow... discipline my young Grasshoppa). I followed it for preparing for summer and OMG.. I was getting chiseled, lost 12lbs but 'appeared' bigger than I was before the diet. And all it really was... seperating carbs from fat.. that was the basics.

So everytime I made a protein shake, it was water, egg white powder (cheap stuff with flavoring, splenda), and a table spoon of Virgin Olive Oil from Spectrum.. loaded w/Omega 3. Lots of meat.

Let's see..gawwwd it's been so long. umm I wake up in the morning.. no carbs because the body is still in fat burning mode..so I leave it there and have my shake. Later before going to the gym have an apple.. just to get through the workout..if working out at night I get the apple then..and just eat fat and protein all day..shakes and meals. ummm AFTER the workout at night... a major carb meal with protein (no fat) to replenish my body with glycogen *sp* so that I live through the night. Shake before I go to bed.

That was the basics of it... the Omega 3 was to combat what other fats do to your body. Just fyi... Eskimos (I'm not sure we call them that anymore so forgive me.. don't know the prefered name), have the highest fat diet of all people on the planet and LITERALLY ZERO heart disease. Why? Omega 3 diets and little carbs.
Xcel help me here buddy. umm I'm doing this on the fly. When you injest carbs with fat.. the carbs release insulin. The body has not evolved to use carbs since we were hunters for many thousands of years and rarely ate carbs...some berries here and there and that's it. So we developed complex enzymes and hormones for protein/fat. Our body prefers it and our heart runs on fat esp Omega 3. All the berries and such provided us with was that sudden fight or flight ability. But carbs being a product of civilization, our bodies don't know what to do with it so all we have is insulin to deal with it. Anyway, during insulin release.. insulin calls for the release of a messenger..damn can't remember the name.. anyway... it's what tells the body what to do with carb and fat...when release it says "oh yes...carbs thank you..we'll switch over to burning carbs.. oooops we don't need the fat so lets store it" this messenger can't be release without insulin. During this time... the all important colesterol.. oh yes our body loves it! oh yes it does! but because of insulin.. it gives colesterol a new role.. coat the arteries! this plaque cannot be layed down without insulin. The only thing to remember on that diet..if you stick with the protein/fat alllll day apple before workout and protein/carb load after workout... 3 hours later before bed..another protein/fat shake... if you skimp on the fat... you will suffeeeeeeer.
Now what I remember at first was lethargy. That was hard to get through but SwoleCat told me..hang in there it will go away as soon as your body remembers what it's programmed for. So I did my ECA's etc. and believe it or not... he was right..body switched over to burn mode. My bed would be soaking from sweat. There were other things I was supposed to do.. escapes me right now... I think it was dehydration..combating it.

If anybody wants to throw something in here.. like the name of that damn messenger....grrrrrrrrrr

STORM SHADOW out

Moral of the story? Insulin has been labeled the number one cause of.... guess.......... aging.

I know everybody is going to say "but you need insulin to shuttle protein in the muscles.. yes.... and no... your body will make the nec. stuff to shuttle protein into muscle..just not as efficient. But.. take fat out of the equation and you can spike your insulin with carbs/protein till the cows come home.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws