advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is H.I.T an optimal solution for SIZE or STENGHT?

Conan21

Kilo Klub Member
Is H.I.T an optimal solution for SIZE or STRENGTH?

People have been posting studies lately about things such as the American Strength college changing their views on Strength Training. These associations recommended 1 set training to failure being superior to multi set training programs. In IRON MANs article below, he has a similar approach and recommends something of a 3-5-7 rep scheme for power lifters and says this is how many top power athletes train.

In the field of muscle science, There has been much more extensive research performed on how to develop strength and none of it involves 1 set to failure or 3 sets to failure. Power lifting and Olympic weightlifters are very critical and precise about their training programs. Many countries view their weightlifters as the pride of their nation in the Olympics. Soviet weightlifters have coaches who are not only experts in human kinetics and the human body but they have been studying and coaching weight lifting for years and have coached tons of athletes to perform fetes such as clean and pressing 500 lbs. over head at a bodyweight of 165 lbs.

Most of the best training information comes for Eastern Block countries and the Soviet Union (not flex magazine and not Mike Mentzer articles). When it comes to strength, speed, and hypertrophy training the Western World is very far behind. This is evident as America or all of North America for the matter has always done very very poorly in international Olympic lifting and power lifting for the most part, hell--sports in general. Please note that we are one of the largest countries and have the most people/athletes to select from.

L. Simmons from West-Side Barbell began to research the methods of these countries; Particularly the methods of the Old Soviet Union. Upon applying these soviet methods to conventional power lifting, his lifts began to explode and his injuries disappeared. He continually refined his system and now he currently has many World Record Holders lifting under his guidance. Bigbyrd, who is a member of this board follows L.Simmons methods and is a world record holder in the squat.

These countries/athletes DID NOT develop these Super human fetes of strenght with Low Volume (at least in terms of what H.I.T programs consider low volume). Neither do they usually train to maxium failure with sub maximal weights in attempt to build maximal strength. A lot of people like to say how West Side builds up to a "max set" and then they compare this to the HIT Method. They are actually building up to 1 RM. more importantly a MAX EFFORT usually over 8 to 10 sets, it is actually much different. This is not the same at all and the only reason the volume is "somewhat low" is because they are working with training percentages above 90%. They work all they way up 100%. More basic power lifters programs and Olympic programs, which use lower percentages, use much more volume.
Keep in mind that many of these Olympic athletes are drug tested. Whether or not they use drugs in some point of their training, they still have to pass the test for the Olympic games. Can this be said for most successful HIT strenght athletes?

This article by L.Simmons explains how H.I.T is not a good method for strength. He points out that college athletes who use these methods to strength train always test very poorly at the combine when trying to go to the NFL. It is not a sports specific training program either. In IRON MANs thread he recommended the program for athletes as well as weightlifters and bodybuilders.

**broken link removed**

The link below is a very basic training template of West side barbell, it explains the basic concepts of the program, There is MUCH MUCH more involved behind it than this. I just wanted to post this to show that this method does not resemeble HIT as many people compare HIT to this.

**broken link removed**

I'd like to point out one part that Dave Tate talks about in the above article called the Repetition Method. They use this method to build hypertrophy for supporting muscle groups such as lats, triceps, biceps etc. or for a powerlifting wishing to gain weight. again based off of soviet research. I have interviews by L. Simmons and he goes into this more thoroughly about training muscles for hypertrophy with more exact protocols.

The Repetition Method
The repetition method, otherwise known as the bodybuilding method, is the best method for the development of muscle hypertrophy (growth). This is the method in which all supplemental and accessory exercises are trained. This method is defined as "lifting a non-maximal load to failure." It's during the fatigued state when the muscles develop maximal force. According to this method, it's only during the final lifts that, because of fatigue, the maximal number of motor units are recruited. This system of training has a great influence on the development of muscle mass which is why it's become so popular among the bodybuilding population.
The fact that the final lifts are performed in a fatigued state makes this method less effective compared to the others when it comes to maximal strength development. This is one of the reasons why powerlifters are much stronger than bodybuilders. Another disadvantage of this method is that each set is carried to failure. This makes it very difficult to increase your volume and work capacity over time because of the amount of restoration needed. Training to failure is very hard on your ability to recover and in my opinion should only be used sparingly. When you extend a set to failure many times, the last few reps are performed with bad technique and this, of course, can lead to injuries.
Westside has modified this principle to what I refer to as the modified repetition method. With the modified version all sets should be stopped with the breakdown of technique and there should always be a rep or two left in you. Remember this principle is applied to all supplemental and accessory movements. These movements are designed to be exactly what they are: supplemental and accessory. The main goals of these movements are to complement the overall training program, not take away. By training to failure on every set you'd be taking away from the general purpose of the movements, which is to increase work capacity.
The parameters of this method are varied and depend upon the individual. Some athletes develop muscle mass with high reps and other with low reps. It would be crazy to assume one specific rep range works for everybody. What we've found to be best with supplemental and accessory work are sets in the range of 5 to 8 with repetitions between 6 and 15. This is a rather large range, but as I mentioned before, everybody is different. If you've been training for some time, I bet you have a better idea of what works for you than I could ever prescribe.
The load or weight to be used should fall in the 60 to 80% range and you should always leave a rep or two at the end of each set. Try to switch the exercise after every one to five workouts in which it's used. If you decide not to switch the exercise then switch the way it's trained. Try to add an extra set for a few weeks. Try to work it up for four weeks then deload it for four weeks. The point is to change it up as much as possible.

Modified Repetition Method Parameters
Load (Intensity) 60 ? 80%
Number of Exercises All Supplemental and accessory
Sets / Repetitions 5-8 / 6 - 15
Rest Interval 1 to 3 minutes
Frequency / Week All workouts
Weeks per Exercise 1-5

*NOTE—there are many other methods that have been show to be good for hypertrophy. All of which use some form of volume. Also note that they recommend training just shy of failure or if u do train to failure do not over indulge

There are articles I would like to post on here about hypertrophy, however they are only in PDF format and they are not on the web. Some I have on paper. However, all research that is held with the highest regard illustrates that hypertrophy is accomplished best with larger amounts of Volume (in terms of sets/reps); Focussing on targeting the tissue instead of trying to lift the heaviest load possible. It could be as simple as performing 4 sets of 12.

Regardless of anyone’s thoughts on HIT of it being the best system or not. It should be noted that absolutely ZERO of the elite power lifting teams or Olympic teams Train in this fashion whether they are seeking maximal strength or trying to build muscle mass.

Last edited:
Where are all the Russian and Eastern Block bodybuilders? They should own the sport if their methods are so superior. Things that make you go hmmmm.......

n4dmoney said:
Where are all the Russian and Eastern Block bodybuilders? They should own the sport if their methods are so superior. Things that make you go hmmmm.......

Have you seen some of the recent superheavyweight winners from Russia at the World Champs? They could plow thorugh a lot of pros in the IFBB. And they pass the drug tests too! So imagine what they'd look like if they didn't have to worry about a drug test so they could take the gear freely!
But, none of them will ever come to the IFBB as they make tons more $ in their countries as the current world champions, than being a pro.

Conan i agree. I have used every training method out there. I still gravitate back to full body 3x a week routines. Using a 5x5, 4x6, 3x12 ect. I like to keep reps between 24 and 36.Heavy/Light/Med method also works great.
I think guys like CS Sloan and Waterbury have it right.

TT

Hmmm, i sure want to hear more about this way of training, i have trained with 8x4 and stuff like that before, but i have now started doing 1 workset, as its written in BIG A's article :)

Big A said:
Have you seen some of the recent superheavyweight winners from Russia at the World Champs? They could plow thorugh a lot of pros in the IFBB. And they pass the drug tests too! So imagine what they'd look like if they didn't have to worry about a drug test so they could take the gear freely!
But, none of them will ever come to the IFBB as they make tons more $ in their countries as the current world champions, than being a pro.

No shit?! I learn something new everyday. Big A, would you have a link to some pictures of these guys? :D

I recently read the training article about a week ago from Louie Simmons on the HIT style training. I now do a variation of HIT. Honestly becuase I was reading the Ironman stuff. One thing that may work for me with that is that when I started that approach I was much more organized and percistance which would make anyone grow. However as I train now I am more concerned with the growth of muscle. When I get the look I want I may switch to a more strength based program. Tough I believe with strength comes size. Yet if HIT isnt the real deal than I am a little confused....
In reading all those pages involving Ironman, Dante, Phil, BigA....I was left reading what they said was a HIT style program that works for a bodybuilding type person and using their approaches...Now how can it not be a really good program and not that good all in one...Unno like hearing HIT isnt the best but 3 or 4 of the top guys on here say train that way for optimal results. One thing I would like to say is when I am trying to find a way that works for me...whoever I pick and chose to follow does not mean disrespect to others. Everyone is leaps and bounds ahead of me. But with my finances I am trying to do the best that I can. So I scavenge and take from who I think has the best ideas and use them.....

Thanks to everyone by the way.............

TRYN2

Well Strength does not always equal size. I will clear that up for you right now. also its best to look at what has worked for the majority. and what has worked best for natural athletes.

There are 180lb guys who bench 400 yet there are 250 lb bodybuilders who can barely bench that so it is clearly evident that strength and size are not always proportionate.

Strength mainly comes from intra-muscular co-ordination. "teaching" your muscle fibers to fire in unison to produce maximal force.

you said your after muscle growth mainly but note that HIT is based soley on strenght. I’d say its more of strength program than bodybuilding. The only variable you have to alter is load. The only bodybuilding aspect to it is the TUT from the reps. Its just a bad choice for both IMO.

Muscle mass has to do with increasing myofibril size and sarcoplasm(surrounding fluid). This is done best by doing larger amounts of mechanical work (ie- sets/reps). Note-- this doesn’t mean doing flex magazine routines.

I am going to Private Message Big Byrd to respond to this thread. He has competed in both bodybuilding and is now a world record power lifter in the squat and I would assume he knows a thing or two about both. I’d like to know whether he thought HIT was the best way to train for size or strength.

Last edited:
Conan21 said:
Well Strength does not always equal size. I will clear that up for you right now. also its best to look at what has worked for the majority. and what has worked best for natural athletes.

There are 180lb guys who bench 400 yet there are 250 lb bodybuilders who can barely bench that so it is clearly evident that strength and size are not always proportionate.

Strength mainly comes from intra-muscular co-ordination. "teaching" your muscle fibers to fire in unison to produce maximal force.

you said your after muscle growth mainly but note that HIT is based soley on strenght. I’d say its more of strength program than bodybuilding. the only variable you have to alter is load. the only bodybuilding aspect to it is the TUT from the reps. Its just a bad choice for both IMO.

Muscle mass has to do with increasing myofibril size and sarcoplasm(surrounding fluid). This is done best by doing larger amounts of mechanical work (ie- sets/reps). Note-- this doesn’t mean doing flex magazine routines.

I am going to Private Message Big Byrd to respond to this thread. He has competed in both bodybuilding and is now a world record power lifter in the squat and I would assume he knows a thing or two about both. I’d like to know whether he thought HIT was the best way to train for size or strength.

I agree with Conan, to gain maximal strength you primarily need to train your CNS. Central Nervous System. The CNS is what will control all of your neural processes. It has far more power than muscle fibers; I like to think of the CNS as the controller of your muscle. It dictates your muscles to do what they do, without it your muscles are worthless. By enhancing your CNS you learn how to use your muscles better. This is what Conan is talking about when he says "intra-muscular co-ordination."

Well, certainly cant argue with phil's success. But i wonder if that is what phil and dante and even dorian did to achieve their size. i would have to guess it wasnt. But feel free to correct me. Im willing to bet they tried alot of different training over the years and built up considerable size. Once the size is built, it doesnt take much at all to maintain it. very very little!

As for my trainning, i do not use westside methods. i have tried it, but do not like it. i do not think it is effective for size and strength. it works for some, not for me. alot of his ideas are sound tho.

the eastern training methods for strength involve high volume low rep/ lots of set work in the 60-85% range. usually this workload was done 2 and sometimes 3 times a week! can u imagine squatting 80% of ur best squat for 8 sets of 2, twice a week( those were ur light recovery days!!! ouch!) plus another day of 80% for more reps up to 5x5? this work is brutal and obviously takes a long time to work up to. this kind of work is not done for size... in fact the exact opposite. is is to condition the body to maximal loads.

So that type of volume will not build much size. my experience is that more high reps in 10-12 range are better for the most growth. for both, i have found that a routine like that, based on a solid foundation of heavy 4-6 reps basic lifts on each muscle group at the beginning of the routine works the best for most. this would be my basic trianing for size and strength, and then it would be tweaked toward peaking strength as a meet draws near. for bodybuilding i did the same and stayed heavy as long as i could.

the full body 5x5 routines are good for basic size and strength. for bodybuilding there needs to be direct stimulation on top of that for the muscles for hypertrophy.

trying to think what else what was talked about.... if i missed anything, let me know.

i dont think HIT is good for all the time, but it has its place. i used DC after my last show when i dint feel like going to the gym much and it worked well. but i only did it for 6 weeks or so.

EVERYTHING WORKS, BUT EVERYTHING DOESNT WORK ALL THE TIME!

Big Byrd

Thanks for the reply ;-)
I just meant that you followed Some Max Effort and dynamic effort methods. and used more volume for accessory movements. which is similar to west side.

i was referring mainly to the 1 set method of training, not Phil's

I guess the question I wanted to have you answer was; If you were to return to bodybuilding full steam and being that your body is very strong for its size, would you seek to increase muscle mass by forcing failure with high levels of perceived effort (what the bodybuilding world calls intensity) with one set in an attempt to get stronger? Or would you focus on performing more mechanical work (sets/reps).

Last edited:
For pure Hypertrophy and muscle building with strength being placed second what would and ideal routine look like ? What would the elements be ? I have tried many, currently doing the ironman hit style, I have done 5x5 and many others.....Just trying to get on track to get shit accomplished. I will note that many people I read say what they do now. Well Ive always wondered because they will say..."I trained this way my whole life, then did this and its best " Well do you really think all that size really came from that second way of training ??? What was the first ??? That make any sense ?

TRYN2

As a general rule of thumb--hypertrophy is accomplished best by sub maximal efforts while using the Repeated effort method with reduced rest intervals as this would cause the greatest amount of protein degradation to the muscles themselves while limiting Central Nervous System fatigue.

At least this is what is recommended by people like Mel Sif and Vladmir Zatsiorsky, who are the most highly regarded sports biomechanics, experts in human kinetics and physiology, and former strength and conditioning consultants for the Soviet Union Olympic teams when they dominated.

Their books are considered to be the best pertaining to athletic performance and are constantly referred to by world class athletes and coaches seeking to improve any form of physical performance including making athletes larger and stronger.

Last edited:
i would keep doin what i was before. heavy compound exercise first, followed by 3-4 'assistance exercises, 3 sets each, heavy as i could for more reps in the 8-12 range.

i dont believe 1 set to failure is optimal for anything other than brief maintence, or after a show when someone is seriously overtrained already.

big_byrd52 said:
So that type of volume will not build much size. my experience is that more high reps in 10-12 range are better for the most growth. for both, i have found that a routine like that, based on a solid foundation of heavy 4-6 reps basic lifts on each muscle group at the beginning of the routine works the best for most.
!

i agree...
and i think it has to with with the fact that the muscle is under tension for a longer time.
i have recently increase the number of reps to 10-12, with a controlled reps speed and started and gained hypertrophy. all my measurements have increased.

Big A said:

Very, very true.

big_byrd52 said:
i would keep doin what i was before. heavy compound exercise first, followed by 3-4 'assistance exercises, 3 sets each, heavy as i could for more reps in the 8-12 range.

i dont believe 1 set to failure is optimal for anything other than brief maintence, or after a show when someone is seriously overtrained already.

I did HIT to mix things up but honestly I prefer a Westside hybrid every time. Just more complete. And even as a powerlifter I was still ever lean and dense.

These are just some pics I did with a quick search. World Champ winners.

Remember, ALL these passed IOC standard drug tests!

How's this for a top 5 lineup!:

Attachments

• bb5.jpg
    bb5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,603
'

Attachments

• bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,623

Attachments

• bb3.jpg