over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Switzerland (Geneva)

Obviously your budget is a lot different than mine but I couldn't agree more. I was looking at the Kempinski. As I don't have a huge budget but wanted a nice room last weekend I would rather book a top room in a nice hotel (but not ridiculously expensive hotel) than a standard room in the likes of the Kempinski (most expensive). The rate you pay for a standard room is silly in there and they don't look that impressive. The money for a lake view is out of my budget. I ended up in a business suite at the Crowne Plaza and she was made up. I was happy with my bathtub in the bedroom and my nespresso machine :D

I was told about the prices but it was still a shock to see everything in the city centre being so expensive. I don't mind paying out but it was more principle especially when simple things are 5-10 times more expensive than where I live now. My gf has told me most shops are fine though and that's just the tourist places so I will be able to eat like I do here for not much more.

I like my fruit and noticed a small punnet of strawberries in the market were 7CHF. I can get 2 punnets for the equivalent of 1.50 CHF where I live. 100 CHF for an 8oz steak in a restaurant... 10-30 CHF where I live :eek:

I don't mind paying for things if the quality is there, but in Geneva, the quality is the same, or even worse, yet everything is outrageously more expensive than anywhere else.

I'm a black card member with the Kempinski's. That gives me triple upgrades, free food, valet, etc. So when I am in Geneva, I get the 1,500euro/night room which gets upgraded to a 5,000euro/night suite overlooking the lake. Mind you, anywhere else in the world you get the same thing for $600/night.

Hey Elvia,
Just throwing this out as an option, but a longer term one because of the training involved...a few months, but worth it if you're really gonna stay in Geneva.

Close protection may be a good option for a guy with no finance background, from Britain, living in Geneva.

The advantage you have is that the UK is one of a few countries with a governing body (SIA) overseeing the security industry. You can get certified by an SIA accredited school and then you're a free agent for hire. Better IMO than just having a military or police background, though both would be great.

It would be a bit tough at first, but I'd guess the pay in Geneva would be on par for the economy there and the clientele in need of such help. May require some travel from Geneva but hey, you're on the clock for travel time too.

Agreed. In my interactions, it almost seems that English is the main language there.

OR you might not have recognized French when it was spoken, for the Swiss accent is definitely something... well, ELSE! :eek: LOL! :p;)

Did you buy anything nice when there? I noticed the Patek Philippe shop but that is a little out of my budget... well maybe more than a little :eek:

:D

Elvia,

HONESTLY...

Moving to CH without cash and with no job in the offing is a bit suicidal.

Keep that in mind: the Swiss, though they of course gladly welcome foreign capital, literally hate it when strangers come there to work and take "their" jobs... happens all the time with French from across the border (wages being 3-4 times higher than in France even for the most basic jobs), and there's now a VERY STRONG feeling of "go home for you're stealing us".

In other words, national preference might be a huge hindrance to your intergration.

But on the other hand you're right, who never tries... :)

All the best mate. Ya u r right we only live once so what the hack! like u said nothing outrageous or crazy move . We brits citizen dont need a visa flights are cheap & back door is always open so u can always come back home. Not too far from home. On a positive note as u say wages are great and if u stuck a good job and progress from there life will be great . we are thinking of a move as well .
Our is a little far from home to the australia !!! Daunting and bit nervous . we are also keeping the back door open . me and wife taking carrier breaks from our jobs in UK for 1 year thinking of moving by next April may 2016 . my friend there has his own company providing physio and I am a physio . weather houses all around great news there not what we get here for the money. He is keen to help me etc so this is kind of now and never situation for us . just need to wrap few things here. We keep having second thoughts but trying to put all bits together to make it work. Let's see what happens . U may see me holding a union jack and supporting England when they come to play arch rivals Aussies for the ashes series next timw haha :) all the best maity . Go with your heart and god willing things will work out for u cheers

Thank matey :) My gf's best friend actually went travelling to Australia the same time she came to Liverpool. Lots of people asked her why Liverpool which I understand as it's a small city but happy she picked here now. I have relatives in Australia as most people do in the UK now. Good luck with everything and keep in touch.

Good for you mate, change is good man, enjoy it.
Funny enough, I'm holidaying in Switzerland in July, however only Wengen and Zurich.

I have only been to Geneva so far but the whole country looks great. Are you travelling from the US to go there?

Best of luck buddy! New beginning are always exciting, are you moving in with your girlfriend? It would be nice if you could look for jobs while not having to worry about the cost of renting a place.

Yes I am moving in with her. She is only 22 but has lived alone for years. However had to go back to her parents after travelling. She has actually found an apartment and has a viewing 2moro so hopefully that works out. It's very hard to be able to move into a place fast in Geneva but she has a friend who can sort out the paperwork so if she likes it that may be our new place.

if you really want to work you will find a job. and dont worry about not speaking french - yeah it would be better but in geneva are around 50% foreigners and in the higher business area they speak more english than french anyway.

also you can go shopping in france across the boarder where it is cheaper than in switzerland.

Thanks. I have been told that. I know a lot of jobs are not possible as I would need French but there are plenty of things I could do so hopefully I find one fast. My gf was actually talking about renting a place in France too but she wants to live in Geneva.

Never buy them from Switzerland. Everything is too expensive there with no discounts.
I bought most of my Rolex's from the US and same with the Patek. The US has the best deals out of anywhere else in the world. Straight after the GFC, I bought in the US a $135k Patek for only $95k.

I really can't understand how they can justify the prices for everything in Geneva, when Monte Carlo is cheaper!

I can imagine. I think the same can be said for many things... even just buying online as opposed to in shops. Even things like shoes on swiss websites are much more expensive than what I would pay over here. Well at least Synthetek ship to Switzerland :)

I don't mind paying for things if the quality is there, but in Geneva, the quality is the same, or even worse, yet everything is outrageously more expensive than anywhere else.

I'm a black card member with the Kempinski's. That gives me triple upgrades, free food, valet, etc. So when I am in Geneva, I get the 1,500euro/night room which gets upgraded to a 5,000euro/night suite overlooking the lake. Mind you, anywhere else in the world you get the same thing for $600/night.

Exactly. The quality wasn't even better and in most cases worse from what I seen. You are welcome to lend me your black card :D

Hey Elvia,
Just throwing this out as an option, but a longer term one because of the training involved...a few months, but worth it if you're really gonna stay in Geneva.

Close protection may be a good option for a guy with no finance background, from Britain, living in Geneva.

The advantage you have is that the UK is one of a few countries with a governing body (SIA) overseeing the security industry. You can get certified by an SIA accredited school and then you're a free agent for hire. Better IMO than just having a military or police background, though both would be great.

It would be a bit tough at first, but I'd guess the pay in Geneva would be on par for the economy there and the clientele in need of such help. May require some travel from Geneva but hey, you're on the clock for travel time too.

Thanks for the advice... great post. I did think in the back of my mind about security. I am always getting asked by my mates to do security but never obtained an SIA badge. I will have to look into it more as I imagine wages for security over there will be huge.

Elvia,

HONESTLY...

Keep that in mind: the Swiss, though they of course gladly welcome foreign capital, literally hate it when strangers come there to work and take "their" jobs... happens all the time with French from across the border (wages being 3-4 times higher than in France even for the most basic jobs), and there's now a VERY STRONG feeling of "go home for you're stealing us".

In other words, national preference might be a huge hindrance to your intergration.

Suicidal... I like a risk. Hopefully it works out but if not I can just move back. I wouldn't look at it as failure moving back so have no issues doing so. I think the change will do me good. You are right though even for someone with some savings it could be a risk but I literally have nothing... bad I know. I partied away my 20's but now things are much better. I only have a little debt compared to what I had 7 years ago.

You are spot on about the feelings about foreigners etc. I seen that first hand even in the 2 days I was there. Even my gf mentioned about France... I think it annoys her too... you know you lot coming into her country and taking all their jobs ;):D She mentioned about living in France as the commute is so short but she wants to live in Geneva. As you mentioned they look at it as taking advantage of the system in a sense. Getting paid lots but outgoings being minimal due to France being so cheap. The apartments are literally under half the price in France what she showed me.

Her friend recently met a man from Paris and I did think for a split second with your charm it may have been you ;):D In all seriousness if you are ever back in Geneza (or me in France) we will have to meet up. Just come covered up though as I don't want you embarrassing me ;)

Elvia,

HONESTLY...

you should read less the newspapers. it depends also from where the foreigners are coming, never heard about people talk bad against americans.

where do you live ?

E you only live once. Do it.

you should read less the newspapers. it depends also from where the foreigners are coming, never heard about people talk bad against americans.

where do you live ?

Whilst it does depend upon where the foreigners come from what Phidias stated is spot on imo. You have never heard people talk bad about Americans? I assume you live in the USA? I haven't a bad word to say about anyone but from what I have seen I think most of the world pretty much dislike the USA. I am British and generalizing the rest of Europe dislike the British... can't blame them. These are all generalizations and some pretty stupid ones but quite a large number of people are stupid (discriminate, racist, stereotype etc).

Anyway this is not what this thread is about and I don't want it locked. If anyone else lives in Switzerland I would appreciate your input. My gf may have found me a gym and it's not too expensive (well for Geneva). In her last gym I think she was paying $150 per month but it was suppose to be great(Holmes Place). I just booked some time off work so may go for a few days next week so will try and be productive when I am there.

Update

I have a one way flight to booked to Geneva on Tuesday. We have sorted out a small apartment located in the old town. We pick up the keys on Wed so excited about that. It is unfurnished (apart from kitchen) so we will have to get everything else for it. Luckily her parents are in Spain for 1 month and left today so we can live there whilst we get everything sorted for our place. I have no gym now so gonna find one the day I get there :)

Switzerland is the most expensive country I've ever been to. While I was training at David's gym in Zurich they wanted 30 franc per day per person. Best of luck out there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Switzerland is the most expensive country I've ever been to. While I was training at David's gym in Zurich they wanted 30 franc per day per person. Best of luck out there.

That's $900/month! Not surprised though.

BTW, in Geneva they must allow people to let their dogs shit in the street without having to scoop it up because the footpaths are filled with dogshit everywhere.
I started laughing at a stuck up sales assistant in a shop - "Hey bitch, you're the out with a giant turd outside your front door!" :devil-:mi

OR you might not have recognized French when it was spoken, for the Swiss accent is definitely something... well, ELSE! :eek: LOL! :p;)

I like it when the Swiss enter a swearing tirade - it's cute :)

Update

I have a one way flight to booked to Geneva on Tuesday. We have sorted out a small apartment located in the old town. We pick up the keys on Wed so excited about that. It is unfurnished (apart from kitchen) so we will have to get everything else for it. Luckily her parents are in Spain for 1 month and left today so we can live there whilst we get everything sorted for our place. I have no gym now so gonna find one the day I get there :)

That's awesome E! Glad ur doing it. A new adventure. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Was that for a day guest pass? Even if the UK some gyms are not expensive but for day passes they charge loads.

Although I know gyms are very expensive in Geneva. My gf's old gym was Holmes Place and I think that was 150 CHF per month. She looked around for me and said she found 3 gyms for 110, 90 and 60 so I was surprised. Hopefully the cheaper ones are ok and I will join one of those.

I like it when the Swiss enter a swearing tirade - it's cute :)

Within 5 mins of getting out the airport we were on the bus and some fat older guy started giving my gf abuse. He didn't know her but was saying to me in broken English he had no problem with me but my gf was a bitch etc. Then he kicked off on a man as he was getting off the bus. A few hours later some woman was screaming in French in the street and head butting the floor. I asked my gf what she was saying and she said she was being racist about Arab people. So my first impressions were not great and swearing tirades didn't sound cute. Although they do when my gf is angry with me... feisty :eek::D

Her dad was great but mental. He drove us to a hotel and went through about 5 red lights and kicked off on some guy in another car on the way. He done this after having a few beers and some whisky with me earlier on!

Within 5 mins of getting out the airport we were on the bus and some fat older guy started giving my gf abuse. He didn't know her but was saying to me in broken English he had no problem with me but my gf was a bitch etc. Then he kicked off on a man as he was getting off the bus. A few hours later some woman was screaming in French in the street and head butting the floor. I asked my gf what she was saying and she said she was being racist about Arab people. So my first impressions were not great and swearing tirades didn't sound cute. Although they do when my gf is angry with me... feisty :eek::D

Her dad was great but mental. He drove us to a hotel and went through about 5 red lights and kicked off on some guy in another car on the way. He done this after having a few beers and some whisky with me earlier on!

at least its not boring... lol

besides, way easier to be left alone when there is weird shit going on all the time... lol:star-w:rs

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Nelson Camryn
NapsGear