advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

All things insulin- my take, opinion and experience.

bbxtreme

Registered
Newbies
My take and experience on insulin

What the hell do I know and why do I know it?
  • I have been bodybuilding since I was 15 years old, a member here learning since 2007 and as my username implies am extreme and passionate about the sport.
  • As a teenager I got 3 training/nutrition certifications to pay my way through college through ISSA.
  • Have a bachelors in human nutrition, food sciences and exercise;
  • Obtained my masters in integrative and complimentary medicine. Had no desire to be a doctor, am not one but just love the industry and work in it with my business.
  • My wife has been a type 1 diabetic since 8 years old so insulin has been an obsessive topic of mine.
  • I have paid and worked with, and still do the best coaches in the sport- Milos, Vu, and now AJ who is my guy for 2024 until I get my pro card. Out of respect for the coaches and their work I am not giving out their “secrets” or specifics (unless it’s public) so don’t ask- and guys who do… NOT cool. Go pay them thousands for their time and commit for 6-12 months if you want that.

Why am I writing this?

I’m not big on logs or starting threads on here as my post history will show since 2007. And I’m a pretty private person. This will be my most in depth post here to date. As many of the vets will likely agree there is so much BS on here lately. So many guys think there are secrets and that what gets posted is a lie. So here’s a real honest overview from me that is my experience and knowledge based on research, experience, wisdom and simply my opinion- so nobody has to agree with it or believe it.
I made myself and wife a promise when I got back into competing at 30 and to go for a pro card- I would do this as responsible as possible and find a way that didn’t destroy my health with all of my knowledge and experience. So I hope this helps others do the same. If it turns into a thread of BS and drama… I’m out and the mods can delete it.

So now that we got that out of the way, what is my take and experience on insulin?

I stepped away from competing in my 20’s to build my business and earn my degrees (no regrets), but still was in the gym daily. I dabbled in gear and some insulin.

My first experience- the standard bro set up:

10 units of insulin pre and post workout. 10:1 ratio of carbs to insulin. Humalog as that was all there was back then. Along with dextrose. Waxy Maize and Vitargo came later. Insulin was very hard to get your hands on (for me) during that time.

I did 8 weeks of this cycle and threw on about 20 pounds, but was constantly getting the ratio wrong and going hypo which led to me grabbing RTD’s of carbs from the local nutrition store and chugging them. Which then threw off my diet and rest of the day/training. I was young and very insulin sensitive so I vowed not to touch it. I was 22 at the time.

Fast forward- I worked with Milos in 2021 and immediately- “you will never win a pro card without insulin”. I wasn’t turning down the chance to work with the “mind.” And my childhood icon. So I committed all in.

We went straight into insulin on every workout day. This is public so I did insulin and carb intake based on the body part being trained. 6 days a week. The amount of insulin/carbs was done according to weakness. Lowest being 5 units pre and 10 units post. Highest being 20 units pre and 20 units post. Humalog or Fiasp and Gatorade or Karbolyn (I preferred Karbolyn).

Given we were trying to move up a weight class most of my days were high. So meal one, 15-20 units insulin at home 75g carbs from dates, then drank the difference during my workout which was a chore. 125g of karbolyn on leg day will make you puke.

Post workout 20 units of Humalog and no matter what 200g of simple carbs within 90 minutes of training. This was charles poliquin’s method evolved through Milos. So I did a shake with whey, kids cereal for 150g carbs, and then 45 minutes later did EAA’s with more Karbolyn 50g within that 90 minute window.

To note: No GDA’s, metformin, injectable carnitine or anything to regulate glucose as that was the job of the insulin. Simple as that. Then had the remaining meals which was a total of 7 on training days.
HGH was 10 units of Meditrope Black tops.

Almost 3 grams of gear (not disclosing my full cycle as it rotated every 5 weeks)

How did it go? Pro’s?

I have never gained so much size and fullness that quickly.

What did I learn? Con’s?

I almost ruined my midsection and lost my deep ab cuts and many lines. It created an illusion, but not worth it IMO. My joints ached and just did not feel good and blood work was not clean for my standards. The ladder was likely the gear and not just the insulin, but this is post is about insulin.

Next- our 6 months was up and he had just picked up Samson, Regan, and Logan so we agreed to part ways on good terms. Mad respect for Milos and what he does.

I worked with Andrew Vu shortly after and mad respect for him as he doesn’t believe in using insulin (did not at the time) as he believes it blurs the lines. And that was perfect for me as I didn’t agree with it either especially being married to a type 1 diabetic who takes lantus and novolog daily.

Next Solo Chapter:

After Vu I decided to do things my way for a bit and knew the power of insulin. I also knew the downside to that. In layman’s terms- insulin is yes, anabolic, but more importantly it’s a shuttling agent. Meaning, whatever you have or put in your body it’s going to rapidly transport into your cells.

I say it all the time on here- people use insulin to abuse food, not the other way around. Insulin cannot and will not make you fat- it’s what you put in your mouth and eat with it. If you eat shit and use insulin, you will shuttle shit and store shit. If you’re in a caloric surplus and take insulin you’d better make sure you’re only taking in clean calories and ideally keeping fats low and to trace fats that day. If you do eat fats it should be olive oil, mac oil or avacado and still lower amounts. If not and you’re in a surplus, you will store fat. Period. It’s simple CICO and math. This is where 9/10 guys get it wrong.

So I implemented John Meadow’s protocol (it aligned with current beliefs on insulin at the time) which is where I suggest all people start and will be all anyone really needs unless pushing for a pro card.

10:1 ratio, 4 units Humalog pre workout, 40g karbolyn intra. Do this for 4-5 weeks.

Weeks 6-12, 10:1 ratio, 10 units Humalog pre workout, 75-100g Karbolyn (based on insulin sensitivity).
Come off 4-8 weeks, use GDA’s and repeat.
Very effective and minimizes any fat gain as insulin and carbs are only used to maximize the workout and keep fats low and to trace amounts.

So what am I doing now?

This is where I’m not giving amounts, but you do the math based on your size and caloric intake. I also train mornings just to note.

Meal one- Novolin- R

Pre- workout Humalog

Post workout- Humalog

I push over 600-700g carbs on these days, lower protein and ONLY trace fats.
I ONLY use insulin on high days now which is 2 days a week- back and quad leg day. The first high day comes after an off and low day.

I use GDA’s daily- AM and post workout. Injectable l-carnitine 400mg pre-workout. And on baseline days still use 40g carbs intra workout with EAA’s and creatine.

Why did I do this?

Outside of because my coach said to. Dieting off the excess fat in the stubborn areas during my last prep was a huge eye opener as to what insulin and structuring your daily menu wrong (which was still clean) with it can do damage wise to your lines and gaining fat in the hard to peel areas. My goal is fat free muscle right now and this is the most optimal way to do that IMO.

For reference now- I’m doing 6 units HGH geno’s and under 2g of gear weekly. And my blood work post show and as of a week ago again has never been so perfect.

My take on lantus:

I personally will very likely never use Lantus and see no need for it unless you are pushing as a top pro competing at 240 plus pounds. Or if you’re trying to compensate for lack of genetics with insulin, food and gear. I say that as someone who doesn’t have the genetic frame of someone like Derek, Nick or Brandon as they are my same height roughly.

Lantus will make you insulin resistant and fast, possibly making you a type 3 diabetic and insulin dependent with prolonged usage. It’s long acting whereas Humalog, fiasp and novolog mirror that in which your pancreas produces so is more forgiving.

IF I was to use it, then it would be only once all else was maxed out, was a pro and would be max two days a week on weak body part days no more than 20-40 units in addition to humalog. And run no longer than needed to accomplish the goal. Monitor blood work, glucose levels and take metformin or GDA’s with injectable carnitine pre workout.

Not worth the risk IMO, but there is a place and understand why it’s used and up to 100 units by some- it will be effective, but likely come with a long term health cost. Only the individual can make that choice.

IMO and summary- Most guys are using way too much insulin and gear and not focusing on the diet. You want the secret? That’s it- fix your diet, eat more of the right stuff on the right days with the correct compounds and train your fucking ass off. That’s it.

I’ll let you guys take this thread wherever you want it to go.

FULL DISCLAIMER: Again, this is my opinion and experience. Not looking for a debate.

My hope is that the vets and coaches on here will chime in and share their experience and take as well.

But more importantly that the guys who need to learn shut up, read, learn and listen and we can get this place back to what is has been for me since 2007- the best, most raw and real bodybuilding forum in the world thanks to Big A and the Mods.

I only had 10k characters and was already incredibly long, but I left out one of the most important parts. And the second I get asked a lot and has been beat to hell on here, but will cover my opinion on the subject since it’s insulin related.

Do your damn cardio. When I worked with Milos and was doing 40 units and taking in over 5k calories a day we were doing NO cardio. I knew better and was trusting the process. My decision.

But now I do 8-10k steps per day, no exception and 20 minutes, 5 days a week on the step mill post workout.

If you want to become insulin resistant fast and go down hill health wise… skip cardio. No GDA supplement or metformin is going to replace cardiovascular work. And it’s not going to bro science “kill your gains”.

I walk my dogs every evening with my wife, get my steps in and do my cardio. Should be non-negotiable IMO if you’re doing gear, but especially insulin.

Why do I use Karbolyn?

It works best for my digestion- main reason. Secondly, it’s made from potatoes, rice and corn and in that order of potency.

Dextrose and Waxy Maiz are derived from corn and if you’re lucky it’s GMO free. For me and many this is much more irritating to the GI than potatoes and rice. When was the last time someone saw a diet of 6 meals of chicken and corn… 🤔 Just saying.

But at the end of the day- drink whatever works best for you as they’ll all work and accomplish the goal.

I treat it like my high end cars- I only run premium or the highest octane I can in them. Karbolyn is premium. Dextrose, Waxy Maiz and HCBD are mid grade and unleaded IMO.

Think that fully covers it. Happy Thanksgiving. Eat, enjoy time with the family and tomorrow get back to the grind! 😎

Great post, posts like this are why the board is great. I did have a couple questions

1. You mentioned karbolyn, how do you feel about hbcd with insulin or in general?

2. The fat in your diet. It sounds like Trace fats daily, curious as to the amount exactly. Less than 10? Are there any days of the week say off days with no insulin, you have more fat in your diet? Or is it Trace daily for extended periods of time?

Great post, posts like this are why the board is great. I did have a couple questions

1. You mentioned karbolyn, how do you feel about hbcd with insulin or in general?

2. The fat in your diet. It sounds like Trace fats daily, curious as to the amount exactly. Less than 10? Are there any days of the week say off days with no insulin, you have more fat in your diet? Or is it Trace daily for extended periods of time?
Excellent questions and didn’t want to bore anyone so if anyone wanted to know more I knew they’d ask. lol

1. HBCD is still dextrose at the end of the day. It’s just in layman’s terms enzymatically enhanced to allow for rapid absorption in the gut and to offer a more stable uptake so there are no spikes in blood glucose. So in “theory” science would argue it’s the best source.

But then there is real life application. For me HBCD bloats me and goes straight through me. It absorbs and pulls so much fluid and so rapidly that it’s not a fit for me. But for others it may work wonders and be key as the enzyme process in theory will alleviate digestive issues for most.

My personal opinion- food sources will always trump a lab made compound such as HCBD. Our body was designed to absorb food- potatoes, rice and some corn. Why try and outsmart our body.

But if it works best, use it as that’s what is key.

2. Fats- on my high days only trace amounts. So 10g or lower. I use turkey, cod and egg whites that day for protein. No krill oil (you can use fish) these days either. That’s two days a week.

Baseline or medium days- I do 2g of krill oil AM, then have 96/4 grass fed beef for 2 meals and some EVCO (coconut oil) in my last meal. Fat is around 40g these days. No insulin.

Low or off days- 4g Krill oil AM and PM, lower carbs, baseline protein, and mac oil or avacado with every non beef meal. 3/3. So there is about 10g fat per meal so roughly 75g these days. No insulin.

Fun fact- protein and fats are essential for survival. Carbohydrates are not.

As bodybuilders we forget this and destroy our HDL and lipids if we aren’t careful.

We use carbs because they’re protein sparing and don’t convert to body fat as easily in this sport.

But remember it’s about what you eat with insulin, hence that’s a fat free day. I make up for it on the other days as guys forget it’s about the net caloric intake at the end of each week so structuring your days correctly while using insulin to optimize musle gain over fat in a caloric surplus state has its advantages.

Now, before @b-boy (mad respect man) comes on here and says that it’s only about CICO at the end of the day- he’s right. 100%. 😊

My goal is maximizing every macro and window because of my goal which is gaining fat free muscle hence my structure.

But if you’re not going for a pro card and can’t handle the discipline there are more lax ways to do it and would say it’s overkill for the average bodybuilder who doesn’t compete.

Again just my experience, opinion and what I do.

Good post. I will come back later to comment.
Appreciate it. Means a lot coming from you as I poured over your content around lantus. I absolutely would defer to you on that and to hear your stance on it all.

I say it all the time in this sport- I’m a student of my own work. This wasn’t taught in med school or any degree (I would know) because bodybuilders are not the average person or athlete. Knowing that we have to rely on experience to learn and evolve the sport IMO.

So we know of any bodybuilders who’ve suffered long term from Lantus, or is it possible that we’re treating it extra caution like we did during early days of understanding insulin in general?

I think(?) it was Joe Jeffrey who said he loved it, but he didn’t elaborate as to why.

I recently went through 2 x 300iu Lantus pens while using GH (medi) at 25-30iu Lantus per night, followed by break (so far off 3 weeks). No blood sugar issues. While on Lantus I was fuller than I’ve ever felt and digested my food really well the entire time.

Just curious as to why some people seem to love it and some hate it, with no real middle.

So we know of any bodybuilders who’ve suffered long term from Lantus, or is it possible that we’re treating it extra caution like we did during early days of understanding insulin in general?

I think(?) it was Joe Jeffrey who said he loved it, but he didn’t elaborate as to why.

I recently went through 2 x 300iu Lantus pens while using GH (medi) at 25-30iu Lantus per night, followed by break (so far off 3 weeks). No blood sugar issues. While on Lantus I was fuller than I’ve ever felt and digested my food really well the entire time.

Just curious as to why some people seem to love it and some hate it, with no real middle.
I personally do. BUT to your point they didn’t follow my rule. They used insulin to abuse food. They all ate shit food and over compensated with gear and insulin.

I think if done how I laid it out in my post then the body would absolutely rebound back. But if someone uses it to move their set point as I’ll call it- new size and caloric intake then it’d likely have to stay in.

I’m sure @luki7788 will chime in and hope he does as he has so much experience on this. As does @Mike Arnold.

Much like testosterone- the longer we are on and the more we use, the longer and harder it will be when we come off… or do we just cruise. IMO the analogy could be used.

A very good post and I would suggest that it be highlighted because there is a really huge amount of great information here and not myths that have been common for decades.

Actually I could add something but I don't see the point because everything has actually been said here

Great job @bbxtreme 💪🏻

How much protein/aminos to reach absolute max "hyperaminoacidemia" that Milos talks about? I recently started taking aminos and peptides with each insulin shot. I don't spread the amino intake during workouts, do a shot instead, will stay elevated for hours, my mixes don't tastw so good. So I mixed up some JP aminos, creatine, feww other aminos like arginine, a megadose of HMB etc. 30 grams of aminos and 20 grams of peptopro - a bit of overshoot? Lol. Then I have the carbs only during workout. JP has an EAA that recommends a shot an hour into the workout, "like a quick meal."
Post workout I can't stomach much so I drink milk. Because "milk stimulates igf-1 through 5 different ways" including through the milk fat - can't find the paper now. LOL.

Since I train "strength orientated" I have experimented with Lantus 1 day a week - only I do it to be at maximum swolness and strength the NEXT day.

Minutia.

JP said point blank that insulin destroyed his stomach. But was it the insulin or the food? He said he was doing the 25+25 twice daily when he was with Milos but then felt like he was dying after awhile. Milos says insulin will not cause stomach problems "if you do it right' i e. "his way."

I feel like insulin causes a weird stomach bloat sometimes that doesn't appear to be food related.

I have no experience with it personally, but I think using it “prophylactically” is big among the “safer use” crowd daily. I also believe bleu will use it consistently offseason with clients for fasted blood glucose control.

Paul Barnett, who has been logging his offseason and prep, runs it all offseason then pulls it in prep as it’d make him hypo.

I feel like insulin causes a weird stomach bloat sometimes that doesn't appear to be food related.
The only logical conclusion that would be directly related to insulin would be visceral fat from insulin resistance

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131