over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are Drinking Raw Eggs Dangerous?

Is all the hype about it fuking you up true(like the salmonela and shiit), or can I just go ahead and down those bad boys?

Is all the hype about it fuking you up true(like the salmonela and shiit), or can I just go ahead and down those bad boys?

As a Chef for over 22 years, I will give you some tips on Eggs!

• Never use cracked, damaged or dirty eggs
  • Dirty eggs have more bacteria on their shells.
  • Bacteria on the outside of the shell may enter the egg through cracks that may be too fine to see.
  • Once inside the egg, bacteria can grow to high numbers, increasing the risk of illness.
  • Buy eggs from a reputable supplier, and check each delivery for cracked and/or dirty eggs.
  • Do not wash eggs, as the shell is more porous when wet, and bacteria from the outside of the shell can then get into the egg. Consider that larger eggs have thinner shells and are therefore more likely to crack and let bacteria in.

• Bacteria grow very slowly at refrigeration temperatures.
  • Best-before dates on egg cartons/boxes assume that the eggs will be stored in the fridge – storing them out of the fridge means that the shelf life will be shorter.
  • The cardboard carton/box prevents condensation forming on the egg shells – which is important as wet shells are porous.
  • Avoid repeatedly moving the same eggs to and from refrigerated conditions, as this will also cause condensation to form on the shell.
  • Best-before dates and batch numbers are on the egg packaging, and will be lost if packaging is discarded.

Cooking eggs will kill bacteria, however, they can survive if food is not cooked so that it is hot all the way through. Pasteurised egg products can be purchased frozen, or in liquid or powder form. Your choice if you want to chow down the raw eggs... Cook your eggs!!! :cool:

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
great reading big chef - i have 8 free range hens and when it rains they get mud and shit (literally) over the egg shells. I just be careful when crackng them open, and I used to wash them. What you said about the porosity of the shells was very interesting. Cheers Buddy......

• Bacteria on the outside of the shell may enter the egg through cracks that may be too fine to see.
  • Once inside the egg, bacteria can grow to high numbers, increasing the risk of illness.
  • Buy eggs from a reputable supplier, and check each delivery for cracked and/or dirty eggs.
  • Do not wash eggs, as the shell is more porous when wet, and bacteria from the outside of the shell can then get into the egg. Consider that larger eggs have thinner shells and are therefore more likely to crack and let bacteria in.

• Best-before dates on egg cartons/boxes assume that the eggs will be stored in the fridge – storing them out of the fridge means that the shelf life will be shorter.
  • The cardboard carton/box prevents condensation forming on the egg shells – which is important as wet shells are porous.
  • Avoid repeatedly moving the same eggs to and from refrigerated conditions, as this will also cause condensation to form on the shell.
  • Best-before dates and batch numbers are on the egg packaging, and will be lost if packaging is discarded.

Cooking eggs will kill bacteria, however, they can survive if food is not cooked so that it is hot all the way through. Pasteurised egg products can be purchased frozen, or in liquid or powder form. Your choice if you want to chow down the raw eggs... :cool:

Hope that helps!

wow, cheers for all that mate!

great reading big chef - i have 8 free range hens and when it rains they get mud and shit (literally) over the egg shells. I just be careful when crackng them open, and I used to wash them. What you said about the porosity of the shells was very interesting. Cheers Buddy......

Your welcome mate :)

Cooking eggs will kill bacteria, however, they can survive if food is not cooked so that it is hot all the way through. Pasteurised egg products can be purchased frozen, or in liquid or powder form. Your choice if you want to chow down the raw eggs... :cool:

Hope that helps!

BigChef, is there a way tell if an egg is bad just by looking at the white and yolk?

A few times I've gotten eggs with little blood spots in them and toss them out as I assumed that wasn't the sign the sign of a healthy egg.

Thanks

How about egg whites from a carton?

Side note: BigChef, Are you by chance the robert irvine>

How about egg whites from a carton?Side note: BigChef, Are you by chance the robert irvine>

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure egg whites in the carton are pasteurized, so as long as they are used by the "best by" date and stored in the fridge they should be good to go.

No, but the bio-availability of the protein in raw eggs is like 40%, whereas it's nearly double that in a cooked egg...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You can eat raw eggs fine but they are very allergenic. I actually diges the eggs better raw than cooked. After around 2 months of eating whole raw eggs I notice I no longer digest them as well. Another reason to rotate your protein sources.

BigChef, is there a way tell if an egg is bad just by looking at the white and yolk? No you cant, like I said about the eg gshells, no cracks no dirt etc, as long the egg is refrigerate under 5 degree's.

A few times I've gotten eggs with little blood spots in them and toss them out as I assumed that wasn't the sign the sign of a healthy egg.

Throw them away the ones with blood in it.
Thanks

How about egg whites from a carton?

As long as the egg whites are pasteurized

Side note: BigChef, Are you by chance the robert irvine>

Yep and not Robert Irvine but who is he? :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure egg whites in the carton are pasteurized, so as long as they are used by the "best by" date and stored in the fridge they should be good to go.

Yes they are pasteurized.

You can eat raw eggs fine but they are very allergenic. I actually diges the eggs better raw than cooked. After around 2 months of eating whole raw eggs I notice I no longer digest them as well. Another reason to rotate your protein sources.

Whatever works for you.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, they have to be cooked to be adbsorbed properly by the body, so you are just wasting your time with raw.

As mentioned above, they have to be cooked to be adbsorbed properly by the body, so you are just wasting your time with raw.

That's correct BigA, cook them is the only to be absorbed by the body.

Eating raw egg white is a bad idea simply because the avidin in the whites binds to biotin and will cause you to be deficient. There is lots of biotin in the yolks but not enough to offset the effects of the avidin. Cooking the eggs breaks down the avidin. The pasteurized egg white should be safe logically speaking.

The pasteurizing process should make the protein Bio available in the liquid egg whites. At least everything I have read states that they are.

Very interwesting. My hayfever has been SO much better since giving up pasturized milk about a year ago, but recently it came back a bit. I have however been eating eggs raw for the last 6+ months, and I never realised that these could be another allergen. Thanks for the info mate...

Bigchef - Just wanted to say thanks for the responses.

Really enjoying this board so far.:cool:

Thank for this post. I've been drinking 1cup milk, 2 whole raw, and 3-4 egg whites.

I never use eggs what so ever. I replace them for a peace of turkey or chicken....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The pasteurizing process should make the protein Bio available in the liquid egg whites. At least everything I have read states that they are.

Big A is right and so are you but you're both talking about different things. Raw eggs suck but pasteurized liquid egg whites are fantastic! One of the purest complete proteins available.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws