over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low Frequency training...

Mike's volume recommendations are way overkill for most people.

Most would do far better scaling way back and getting strong.
I do agree. For me I prefer lower volume lower reps for chest, back, legs...but for arms/delts...higher reps higher volume. I've found it hard to overtrain side rear delts...but it is possible

The majority of stimulus for hypertrophic response in skeletal muscle is between 12-20 sets taken to technical failure over the period of a week.. 7 days.

If you were to target a muscle every 9 days that is roughly every 1.3~ weeks.

If you adjust your volume accordingly
That’s around 16-20 sets to near failure per muscle group every 9 days.

That data is in natural athletes however.

If you’re overly sore I think you need to adjust your diet, rest, or gear honestly.

Your post implies your DOMS is overbearing and that you want to avoid it. But training less frequent and more intensely has shows to INCREASE soreness following training.

I recall Platz in his prime would train legs 1-2x a month due to how beat up he got from infrequent volume and high stimulus.

You are trying to balance a stimulus to fatigue ratio by reducing frequency.. in order to compensate for the reduction in frequency with training in isolation you will have to either increase intensity or volume of your lifting both of which will further increase muscle soreness.

I think you need you reevaluate or further clarify your goal because you can’t say you want the same results while doing less and also taking it easier.
My recovery is greatly effected by bjj which i do 7 to 8 hours a week and a demanding profession.

My recovery is greatly effected by bjj which i do 7 to 8 hours a week and a demanding profession.

Yeah I wouldn't pay any attention to the current scientific bollocks, especially if you're doing extra stuff.

The 4 way split over 3 day sounds just fine. I'd probably split it something like an upper lower and very minimal sets per bodypart. No fluff just hard heavy basics for a couple sets per exercise.

Reactions: cal
Right,
Assuming you put in vigorous effort, you’re either going to be sore from rolling in BJJ or from lifting.

Are you trying to change your lifting to the bare minimum to preserve your muscle while you improve your sport skillset or balancing them to progress at both slowly? Or only maintain lifting/neural strength adaptations and size down for better sport performance?

It’s important to consider the direction of your goal before efficacious recommendations can be made

I think if you're doing jitz and taking 9 days to train your whole body I would think that is fine personally. I did jitz and then lift on the same day until I was 38. Did a week rotation and I remember on Tuesdays being so fucking sore I had no idea how I was going to get my workouts in that day let alone the rest of the week. Jitz was easy as we had this saying, maybe you have it, or maybe you'll find value to it one day. It was "the hardest part is walking through the door". You know you'll get in there and get on your back, roll around do some stretches and someone will usually make a joke or 2 and your ready to go. Plus I think it helps if you move blood through your body to decrease soreness

That being said I am going to be the big 46 tomorrow (I got a gift registry on amazon if you need it) so I highly doubt at this age I could keep up with a schedule like I had in my 30's, though if I could, I would at least try. I am on blood thinners so no martial arts anymore for me. Also, I have had times in my life where i was busy working a lot and could only train my body every 8 days, it worked very well but was not doing Jitz at that time.

hope this helps

Reactions: cal
I think if you're doing jitz and taking 9 days to train your whole body I would think that is fine personally. I did jitz and then lift on the same day until I was 38. Did a week rotation and I remember on Tuesdays being so fucking sore I had no idea how I was going to get my workouts in that day let alone the rest of the week. Jitz was easy as we had this saying, maybe you have it, or maybe you'll find value to it one day. It was "the hardest part is walking through the door". You know you'll get in there and get on your back, roll around do some stretches and someone will usually make a joke or 2 and your ready to go. Plus I think it helps if you move blood through your body to decrease soreness

That being said I am going to be the big 46 tomorrow (I got a gift registry on amazon if you need it) so I highly doubt at this age I could keep up with a schedule like I had in my 30's, though if I could, I would at least try. I am on blood thinners so no martial arts anymore for me. Also, I have had times in my life where i was busy working a lot and could only train my body every 8 days, it worked very well but was not doing Jitz at that time.

hope this helps

Happy birthday big man.

Right,
Assuming you put in vigorous effort, you’re either going to be sore from rolling in BJJ or from lifting.

Are you trying to change your lifting to the bare minimum to preserve your muscle while you improve your sport skillset or balancing them to progress at both slowly? Or only maintain lifting/neural strength adaptations and size down for better sport performance?

It’s important to consider the direction of your goal before efficacious recommendations can be made
I want to prioritize my lifting a bit. I had been doing BJJ 5 times a week and lost alot of strength. I think that if I really were to prioritize lifting Id have to do BJJ at 2 days a week but Im getting better so Im not having to go hard to keep up...so my rolls are getting to be less effort with better technique etc.

hope this helps
Thanks for you tips. Im the same age.

I believe Dave Palumbo trained like this at times . He would train 2 days on 1 off till he completed each body part which once every 9-10 days he said he always felt recovered and ready to go .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity