over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PCI Express slot dead

Blitzkrieg

Registered
My PCI Express slot died a couple of weeks ago, leaving me with only on board video. Is there a way to replace the slot without replacing the entire motherboard?

Also, I have another pc that I disabled on board video without checking first to see if I could reset it with jumper pins (I can't). Short of buying another AGP vid card and hoping it's compatible (the one I had wasn't) is there anything I can I do to get back into the BIOS on that one?

My PCI Express slot died a couple of weeks ago, leaving me with only on board video. Is there a way to replace the slot without replacing the entire motherboard?

Mothboards are so cheap that no one will fix just that slot.

Also, I have another pc that I disabled on board video without checking first to see if I could reset it with jumper pins (I can't). Short of buying another AGP vid card and hoping it's compatible (the one I had wasn't) is there anything I can I do to get back into the BIOS on that one?

Can't you just reable the vid card from the bios? How did you disable it before?

Can't you just reable the vid card from the bios? How did you disable it before?

I disabled it through the bios hoping it would force my system to read the vid card. Now it won't display the bios because there's no video :(

And I guess I could just replace the motherboard. I'm just afraid of frying it during installation (I've done that before LOL)

I disabled it through the bios hoping it would force my system to read the vid card. Now it won't display the bios because there's no video :(

And I guess I could just replace the motherboard. I'm just afraid of frying it during installation (I've done that before LOL)

Oh I see now. Yea you need to reset your motherboard to factory default.
Do you have the manual for your motherboard? If not you may be able to google it. Find out what model you have and google %model% reset bios to default.

You can pick up a cheap standard PCI vid card, plug it in and use that. To reset the BIOS back to normal which will allow for onboard vid, open the case, unlpug power, and remove the CMOS battery for about a minute. It will look much like a battery for a car remote. Once you put the battery back in and boot, it will probably say your system time needs to be reset, depending on your model. You might find that your original PEG card now works if you had a config problem from the beginning. What were the signs that your PEG was defective in the first place? How do you know your PEG port died? Did you try another PEG card to confirm?

You can pick up a cheap standard PCI vid card, plug it in and use that. To reset the BIOS back to normal which will allow for onboard vid, open the case, unlpug power, and remove the CMOS battery for about a minute. It will look much like a battery for a car remote. Once you put the battery back in and boot, it will probably say your system time needs to be reset, depending on your model. You might find that your original PEG card now works if you had a config problem from the beginning. What were the signs that your PEG was defective in the first place? How do you know your PEG port died? Did you try another PEG card to confirm?
Well, the pc is that won't boot due to diabled on board video is actually a different one than the pc with the dead PEG. On the pc I have that boots, It worked for maybe a year and about a month ago my system would randomly stop recognizing that card and I'd have to switch to on board video for a while. Then a couple of weeks ago it went dead. I tried a new card and it wouldn't recognize anything had been installed, even after a fresh install of Windows and reinstalling the drivers. I thought about installing a cheap PCI card but I don't know if that would run World of Warcraft or my movies well enough to justify buying it.

The pc with no video at all only has AGP and PCI so my PCI Express cards are useless there :(

Thanks for the tip on removing the battery! I'm going to try that right now :)

no.. PCI cards won't run WoW worth a shit, hell most AGP's have issues now too especially if you run many mods or raid. (ESPECIALLY if you are a healer.. your dps will hate you for the lag)

honestly, I would just replace the mobo with a new one. check toms hardware for current reviews.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member