over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest pause and delts

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For the guys like to use rest pause and beat the logbook each week, do you rest pause rear and side delts or use more straight sets or even drop sets or supersets o really tax the muscle with maximum intensity?

I do low volume rest pause DC type training but noticed for the side and rear it's hard to find exercises you can really add weight too and over time it leads to elbow issues. Overhead work for front delts is of course fine.

Upright rows, heavy lateral raises or rear delt rows (db or cable) aggravated my tennis elbow.. thinking of keeping my routine the same but rather change each rest pause set for these muscles a dropset. For rear and side delts I feel the muscle being worked more on dropsets.

For the guys like to use rest pause and beat the logbook each week, do you rest pause rear and side delts or use more straight sets or even drop sets or supersets o really tax the muscle with maximum intensity?

I do low volume rest pause DC type training but noticed for the side and rear it's hard to find exercises you can really add weight too and over time it leads to elbow issues. Overhead work for front delts is of course fine.

Upright rows, heavy lateral raises or rear delt rows (db or cable) aggravated my tennis elbow.. thinking of keeping my routine the same but rather change each rest pause set for these muscles a dropset. For rear and side delts I feel the muscle being worked more on dropsets.
I do high rep rear delt work, John meadows style. Rear cable flyes, reverse pec deck, incline rear delt swings. Full range of motion and huge burn on the first two, short range of motion until I can’t move the dumbells even an inch on the latter.
I rest pause delt pressing movements, I don’t rest pause y raises, laterals, etc. i usually do a heavy set, and then a lighter burnout set.
And don’t do heavy laterals. Do them a bit lighter, and do them in the scapular plane like Paul shows in this video

I’ve done rest pause and drop sets and everything else.

I actually just finished a blast of bft solo version so I was doing both it was 2 sets of 4rp, drop set, 4rp, drop set, 4 rp, with the only rest being 5 seconds during the rp sets.
All to failure.
If you really wanna fuck them up try it.
It all worked the main thing I did is still focus on beating the reps, weight or form.

I'm with Heavy Hitter as my delts really respond to high reps for raises etc. Pressing never did much to "boulder" my delts compared to light weight, strict form - high rep work.

Like the link H.H shared I perform that movement with the incline bench but I go with a deeper angle. From what I've seen on the net, I work delts most similar to Eugene Teo and learned some good tips from his YouTube chanel.

As for rest pause I agree with LK3 being that this would likely be best suited for pressing movement. Though I do not rest pause when pressing because it's such a small portion of my routine and I likely only still perform presses so that my entire routine is not done so with such light weight lol.

For me, with rest-pausing, I need to be able to standardize the reps to ensure consistent progression.
There are side & rear delt movements which I find I can easily standardize. Obviously machine-based stuff like machine laterals and rear delt flyes on a pec Dec.
I also rest pause dumbbell laterals, but I find it's too easy to cheat with the conventional way of doing them. So I use light dumbells and actually touch the dumbbells overhead at the end of each concentric. Not recommended for those with shoulder issues. I've been fortunate to never have shoulder problems, so that movement doesn't bother me at all. And I feel it working my side delts more than any other exercise, without question.

I'm another that does the high reps for laterals. I like my first set of RP to be over 15 but am fine when it gets to over 20.

I start with 20 and add weight. When it slowly lowers to 15 I than try to get back to 20 reps.
I tend to do the opposite with all my exercises. Keep adding reps until a certain number than add weight to drop the reps back down. I spent 20 years doing the opposite, add weight, when I was competing in powerlifting. Great results but now my joints thanks to age, D1 football, and powerlifting will mutiny.

Here’s exactly what I would go in and do for a dc style shoulder day.
Cable rear delt flyes: pick a weight I can get 20ish reps with….and grind my way to 26-28 with some body English after the 20 is hard. Then grind out as many partials as I possibly can until I’m not moving the weight. Th is might be around 35-40 total “reps”.
Rear delts destroyed
Move on to hammer strength iso shoulder press: rp for something like 14/8/4(I like the rp reps to be a bit higher on shoulders. Chest would be more like 10/5/3)
Then we’re gonna do cable y raises: this is gonna be a really hard set of 14-16 or so, then increase the weight and I’m gonna get maybe 10.
Then we’re gonna move on to seated lateral raise machine. This exercise will be in every shoulder workout until I eventually bomb out on it. Here’s how it looks
Strap in and get ready. Pick a weight you can get a solid 16 reps with good form. Then, like a widowmaker, you’re gonna grind, and take tiny little breaks in the bottom position, and use a little body English, to somehow miraculously make your way to 25-30. Next week, you’re going to add the smallest increment of weight you can manage. 1 pound to 2.5 pound plates would be best. Get creative, pin one of those heavy ass clamp collars to the stack or something. You want a small increase every week.
Then you’re gonna sit down and try to get the exact same reps as last week. You probably will for a few weeks. But eventually you’re gonna start dropping a rep here and there. Keep the exercise in your rotation until you grind to a weight that only allows you to get around 15 reps. Then toss the exercise and add in something else that you can grind at for months and make increases.
Boom….boulders for shoulders

Here’s exactly what I would go in and do for a dc style shoulder day.
Cable rear delt flyes: pick a weight I can get 20ish reps with….and grind my way to 26-28 with some body English after the 20 is hard. Then grind out as many partials as I possibly can until I’m not moving the weight. Th is might be around 35-40 total “reps”.
Rear delts destroyed
Move on to hammer strength iso shoulder press: rp for something like 14/8/4(I like the rp reps to be a bit higher on shoulders. Chest would be more like 10/5/3)
Then we’re gonna do cable y raises: this is gonna be a really hard set of 14-16 or so, then increase the weight and I’m gonna get maybe 10.
Then we’re gonna move on to seated lateral raise machine. This exercise will be in every shoulder workout until I eventually bomb out on it. Here’s how it looks
Strap in and get ready. Pick a weight you can get a solid 16 reps with good form. Then, like a widowmaker, you’re gonna grind, and take tiny little breaks in the bottom position, and use a little body English, to somehow miraculously make your way to 25-30. Next week, you’re going to add the smallest increment of weight you can manage. 1 pound to 2.5 pound plates would be best. Get creative, pin one of those heavy ass clamp collars to the stack or something. You want a small increase every week.
Then you’re gonna sit down and try to get the exact same reps as last week. You probably will for a few weeks. But eventually you’re gonna start dropping a rep here and there. Keep the exercise in your rotation until you grind to a weight that only allows you to get around 15 reps. Then toss the exercise and add in something else that you can grind at for months and make increases.
Boom….boulders for shoulders
Good stuff as always. Since I'm new to using that side delt machine I was going to start off with doing rest pause with it..20-30... Before trying a widow maker. Right now shoulder day I came up with

Side delt machine 20-30 rp
Cable lateral raises 1 dropset (aim for 15 on first part...don't like rest pausing these)

Reverse pec dec 20-30 RP (new exercise feel like I can get stronger over time so going with the RP)
Rear delt db fly (20-30rp) may switch to a dropset but with wrist weights 1.5 and 2.5 I think I can be progressive with em

Oh machine press 20-30 RP

So 2 side exercise, 2 rear, 1 front. Considering adding another front at the end but want to focus on side and rear mostly

Good stuff as always. Since I'm new to using that side delt machine I was going to start off with doing rest pause with it..20-30... Before trying a widow maker. Right now shoulder day I came up with

Cable lateral raises 1 dropset (aim for 15 on first part...don't like rest pausing these)

Reverse pec dec 20-30 RP (new exercise feel like I can get stronger over time so going with the RP)
Rear delt db fly (20-30rp) may switch to a dropset but with wrist weights 1.5 and 2.5 I think I can be progressive with em

So 2 side exercise, 2 rear, 1 front. Considering adding another front at the end but want to focus on side and rear mostly
I do like rest pausing the side lateral machine. Here’s how I kind of look at it. I’ll rest pause any exercise you can kind of strap into and get a “groove” with it like Dante says. So a seated lateral machine I would, a standing lateral I would just do the set and then the second heavier set. Same with chest, I’ll rest pause hammer presses, but not Dumbell presses. It burns like hell rest pausing the side lateral machine. Finish it off with 15 partials and an iso hood for as long as you can manage and you’ll be smoked

And I’ll bet you’re doing plenty of pressing on chest day. I personally wouldn’t add in another anterior delt movement because if that

For me, with rest-pausing, I need to be able to standardize the reps to ensure consistent progression.
There are side & rear delt movements which I find I can easily standardize. Obviously machine-based stuff like machine laterals and rear delt flyes on a pec Dec.
I also rest pause dumbbell laterals, but I find it's too easy to cheat with the conventional way of doing them. So I use light dumbells and actually touch the dumbbells overhead at the end of each concentric. Not recommended for those with shoulder issues. I've been fortunate to never have shoulder problems, so that movement doesn't bother me at all. And I feel it working my side delts more than any other exercise, without question.
I definitely agree on some exercise are difficult to standardize so not ideal for RP. I noticed this on cable lateral raises if I focus on trying to really beat the log book I tend to cheat...so would rather dropset and just not worry about reps just focus on hitting the target muscle.

The two I'm torn between are reversed pec dec and Bent over DB rear delt rows. I feel like it's a simple enough movement that I can trust myself to progress without cheating, so leaning towards RP rather than just dropset and get a pump.

I like these rear delt exercises that these guys do right here. I’ve been doing them for a while now and they really brought up my rear delts. I also do FST7’s with them at the end of my shoulder workout.

I believe you basically answered your own question. Do what works for you.

I definitely agree on some exercise are difficult to standardize so not ideal for RP. I noticed this on cable lateral raises if I focus on trying to really beat the log book I tend to cheat...so would rather dropset and just not worry about reps just focus on hitting the target muscle.

The two I'm torn between are reversed pec dec and Bent over DB rear delt rows. I feel like it's a simple enough movement that I can trust myself to progress without cheating, so leaning towards RP rather than just dropset and get a pump.
Beating the log book is more powerlifting than bodybuilding once your past the beginner stage. Constantly trying to beat a log book will eventually damage your joints, tendons and discs. You’re only going to get so strong. Then you’ll plateau. You’ll hit that strength plateau much faster than you think. At that point, focus on feeling the muscle work during the movement. And find which amount of volume works best for each muscle group. There’s no cookie cutter routine.

Beating the log book is more powerlifting than bodybuilding once your past the beginner stage. Constantly trying to beat a log book will eventually damage your joints, tendons and discs. You’re only going to get so strong. Then you’ll plateau. You’ll hit that strength plateau much faster than you think. At that point, focus on feeling the muscle work during the movement. And find which amount of volume works best for each muscle group. There’s no cookie cutter routine.
Tell that to Jordan Peters and the guys he coached and Dante Trudel and the guys he coached and Dorian Yates, etc…
I mean who have you coached? What experience do you have to come to these conclusions?

There’s a reason the biggest guys had to be able to move some damn big weights to get there.
Mechanical tension is the primary driver of growth.
The limiting factors on size are the amount of weight you can move and the amount of food you can utilize.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws