advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shrugs how often is everyone doing them?

Chembody

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I do shrugs with every shoulder workout and i do back next day with rear delts. I copied dorian yates routine years ago.
I have over developed traps.
When i see others on youtube doing shoulder workouts i never see them do shrugs?

How often do you guys do shrugs?

I do them 6 sets with shoulders and 3 sets with back. My shoulder and back workouts are at least 2 days apart.

I did them with either shoulders or back in my early years depending on how many sets total i was doing. Although with shoulders was my preference as the total poundage that day was far less then with shoulders. But stopped doing them after the early years as they got enough stimulation without working them directly. As i did not want them getting to big as it makes the shoulder structure look smaller.

never. one of the exercises that always seemed to give me problems.

Once a week I fit them in after leg day. Narrow cables leaning forward Mike Van wyck style, squeeze 1x20-30 RP add weight or reps each week. Follow that with one burnout set using 45lb plates squeeze pause at top.

once a week with the back or shoulders.
I really like the trapezoid, I would like to have it more developed.
I find it a very masculine muscle.

I have had very good results training him EOD and taking m-1-t

never. one of the exercises that always seemed to give me problems.
Thats is why im debating to take them out of my routine.
Having neck issues and massage therapist and others say they are to big(traps)and not good to do.
I also feel i do them with back when doing barbell row and upright rows. That should be plenty im guessing

Why did you stop
Doing them?
Traps get hit as a secondary muscle group on a lot of my delt and rhomboid movements. Plus mine are a good size already for my body so I feel like growing them even more would be out of proportion which then can give the illusion that your delts look small.

Once a week I fit them in after leg day. Narrow cables leaning forward Mike Van wyck style, squeeze 1x20-30 RP add weight or reps each week. Follow that with one burnout set using 45lb plates squeeze pause at top.
I do a few sets to finish my back and rear delt day. I do them this exact style, a slight lean forward or even prone on an incline bench. Standing up right aggravates my neck as others mentioned. But I feel the slight lean has actually improved my neck. It might have to do with getting those scapulas gliding and moving / unglued if you will.

I do a few sets to finish my back and rear delt day. I do them this exact style, a slight lean forward or even prone on an incline bench. Standing up right aggravates my neck as others mentioned. But I feel the slight lean has actually improved my neck. It might have to do with getting those scapulas gliding and moving / unglued if you will.
Yep. I don't get really like van wyck videos because he will just ramble on about some nonsense and I feel like he is horrible at explaining exercise execution, but his trap video really helped me feel them, none of that loading up a barbell and pinching them like I used to. I tried an incline before but I've found the best way to hit them is with 2x45 lb plates or DB if you want to go heavy and just lean the head against something for support. The wall or if close by the pad on the cable machine you press your back against when doing triceps pushdown.

if you have overdeveloped traps, never see anyone doing traps, why would you choose to directly target them?
I haven’t done a shrug in years and my traps are bigger than 90% of my lifting friends just from deadlifts and heavy backwork.

Overdevelop traps are a dysfunctional muscle group that can inhibit effective back engagement… I wouldn’t recommend doing anything for them in isolation if they are already over powering

Yep. I don't get really like van wyck videos because he will just ramble on about some nonsense and I feel like he is horrible at explaining exercise execution, but his trap video really helped me feel them, none of that loading up a barbell and pinching them like I used to. I tried an incline before but I've found the best way to hit them is with 2x45 lb plates or DB if you want to go heavy and just lean the head against something for support. The wall or if close by the pad on the cable machine you press your back against when doing triceps pushdown.
Agreed, I’ve picked up a few good things here and there from him though. His content is getting rather redundant though lol but, that’s how it can go I guess

I don't train mine directly and haven't in decades. Pulling from the floor gives them a ton of work and mine develop easily to the point they can dominate everything else.

Honestly OLs and variants would be my preferred method and for direct work power shrugs (dynamic pulling from high hang like a very heavy high pull) will produce shocking effect in a few weeks.

Herniated discs in my neck over the last few years made doing shrugs with basically any amount of weight a bad idea

every time I do shrugs I end up with a migraine the next day. Pretty sure it’s pinching a nerve.
My traps easily grow and are to the point of over developed so I don't directly train them. Even when I did I always remember it messing with my neck and upper back like I had a pinched nerve or something.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131