over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Missing the old days of bodybuilding

Vegascuts285

Registered
Any of you guys miss how bodybuilding was 10-15 years ago ? No social media and seeing pros guest posing meant somthing where there seemed to be more of a mystery to it ? Then you had the exciting Ronnie vs. Jay at the olympia , MD was at its peak as a magazine etc.. Just some of my thoughts . Anyone else feel the same ?

Any of you guys miss how bodybuilding was 10-15 years ago ? No social media and seeing pros guest posing meant somthing where there seemed to be more of a mystery to it ? Then you had the exciting Ronnie vs. Jay at the olympia , MD was at its peak as a magazine etc.. Just some of my thoughts . Anyone else feel the same ?

I wasnt in the scene in those days but i know guys who were and they talk about the comranderary and stuff. i wish it was like that today, all i see i social media hate and proclaimed gurus who mostly dont know what they are doing.

I was fortunate enough as a teenager from 2004-2009 to grow up in Las Vegas training around and with Cutler daily and it was an absolute blast . The older days had much more comeradery.

I think the internet has been excellent as far as.the sharing of knowledge - however I think its also given some guys this false sense of "expertise".. I do think there used to be a ton more mystery before contests because there weren't all the gym pics updated constantly. Everyone thinks their era is the greatest though so I hesitate to say it was " better" in the early 90's thru early 2000's .. But I can say that I miss the way it was.

I was fortunate enough as a teenager from 2004-2009 to grow up in Las Vegas training around and with Cutler daily and it was an absolute blast . The older days had much more comeradery.

You were a teenager at that period, how old are you?
I only ask because your physique is fantastic!

Yes I was . I'm currently 26 now . I moved out to vegas at 16 years old a few months prior to the 2004 Mr.Olympia

Yes I was . I'm currently 26 now . I moved out to vegas at 16 years old a few months prior to the 2004 Mr.Olympia

Dang, you have built a great physique for being in your mid 20's!!! (much less any age for that matter)

i remember back in the 70"s (the real old day's for me) when it would be months without ever seeing a BB magazine or when protein powder was real vodo stuff to get a hold of.

Social Media (instagram, facebook, ext) took all the mystery out of it. You didnt know how anyone looked unless it was in a magazine (and even then wasn't a true up-to-date look) and going to see a guest pose was amazing. Now we all know what these are doing at 10am in England. lol. Its like we know every aspect of their life now.

Social Media (instagram, facebook, ext) took all the mystery out of it. You didnt know how anyone looked unless it was in a magazine (and even then wasn't a true up-to-date look) and going to see a guest pose was amazing. Now we all know what these are doing at 10am in England. lol. Its like we know every aspect of their life now.

You nailed it. FB has turned in to some sort of bad joke with all the ab and bicep flex pics posted on a daily basis. Then again, maybe it's just my set of friends that post that type of nonsense all day.

It was the best in the early 90's, there is already tons of threads about this very subject and various theories on why.

During the 90's this same talk was directed towards the good ole days of the 80's,......

Every new generation will say the same thing. In 10 years people will be like remember the good ol days when kai greene almost punched phil heath at the mr. Olympia.

I think the good ol days are when Arnold and franco were training. I wish I grew up in an era w out cell phones and internet.

Its weird now. I remember I use to want to be a pro so bad. Then I moved to California and met a girl who became my gf she was pro. Its all bs. Its politics, drugs, sponsorships. Its ridiculus now days when you get to that level.

She bailed on a very important family event of mine to attend a posing seminar where Jim Manion was going to be. Its just stupid now.

Last edited:
I was too young back then but I would have probably enjoyed those times

You nailed it. FB has turned in to some sort of bad joke with all the ab and bicep flex pics posted on a daily basis. Then again, maybe it's just my set of friends that post that type of nonsense all day.

That's why I don't use facebook for anything bodybuilding related. Not interested in getting tagged in random weird selfies popping up on my timeline. I use it to make jokes, keep in touch, get invited to events, and for real estate business purposes. IG is another story however.

I started bodybuilding in my teens around the time that Yates won the Nigh of Champions.

I'm just a nobody who likes a workout but wwo things I notice about todays generation.

People only care about the top 2 Mr O. when I started into bodybuilding it seemed like everyone even knew the top guys at the NOC. Maybe as I'm older I'm just not into as much but back then placing well at the NOC was a big friggin deal.

Second, air horns. When I was younger people cheered. I don't go to a lot of shows today but everyones so quiet. Not that I want to sit beside a guy with an air horn but I do miss the excitement.

Not much comraderie in the gyms I've been to these days, most people don't want to engage anyone outside of the person they brought with them. Then again, I'm an introvert, so I'm usually not too eager to talk to others lol...maybe I'm a part of the problem.

Does anyone feel like young lifters these days are particularly vain? The amounts of guys I see flexing in front of a mirror between sets, lifting up their shirts to see if their abs are showing, taking picture after picture...maybe that's another one of the social media effects. I know bodybuilders have ALWAYS been a bit vain (you kinda gotta be), but it seems to be in overdrive these days...especially among guys that don't have much to brag about lol.

Its all bs. Its politics, drugs, sponsorships. Its ridiculus now days when you get to that level.

She bailed on a very important family event of mine to attend a posing seminar where Jim Manion was going to be. Its just stupid now.

yes,
yes,
and yes.

Not much comraderie in the gyms I've been to these days, most people don't want to engage anyone outside of the person they brought with them. Then again, I'm an introvert, so I'm usually not too eager to talk to others lol...maybe I'm a part of the problem.

Does anyone feel like young lifters these days are particularly vain? The amounts of guys I see flexing in front of a mirror between sets, lifting up their shirts to see if their abs are showing, taking picture after picture...maybe that's another one of the social media effects. I know bodybuilders have ALWAYS been a bit vain (you kinda gotta be), but it seems to be in overdrive these days...especially among guys that don't have much to brag about lol.

Knowing everyone at a gym can bite you in the ass. I've had to leave gyms just because I would know too many people and they would all be distracting me during my workouts with too much conversation.

Social media has ruined the sport. There are some positive aspects to the social media but when Im on there the amount of tools, and fucktards posting vids, lying about how much they lift, weigh and body fat measurements is enough to make you have an aneurysm.
I had next to no pictures of myself as a bodybuilder until my first show that was 15 years in the game. They weren't selfies in the bathroom or mean muggin the camera with all this #beastmode #fucktardmode #phonieasswannabe shit.
They were pics my wife took and Collard Photo took, occasionally a pic on the forums if I felt I made significant changes now its a bunch of snot nosed brats who figured out how to use some AAS and think they are fucking hardcore.
Pics every 2-3 days- no real progress- and the worst lifting form on the vids, board presses, 2 inch rows, rack pulls that are 3 inches, etc....

Hardcore? cuz what you been doing this 2-3 years? fuck that, bust 10, 15 , 20 + then talk about hardcore, most these people won't even be in a gym in 5 years, its just a phase they're in.

Guess Im just ranting - just seems like now all we do is pander to noobs on the internet, most of the groups sit here and tell people they look great when they are just a bag of bones or fat as fuck.
Where in hell did reality go?
Used to be we told people the harsh truth, now its, "great job man!" "you look awesome" and I read this trash and think 'no they don't.'

Like the guy who posted his legit 20 inch arm, looked like a fucking butterball of lard and cellulite.
But there he was, proud, fucking bragging about how he was 350 - not mentioning he was probably 35% body fat.
Everyones a fucking coach, the kid bagging groceries at Publix-now is giving training and diet advice, even has his own website.
The guy mowing my grass is a prep coach for pros.
Everyone is this bad ass powerlifter or bodybuilder- MINUS THE PHYSIQUE or LIFTS.

Guy benching 750 off of 8 inches of wood on his chest, are you fucking kidding? I mean you post a video of this and think we should be impressed?

Yeah the good ol days we would have ripped someones ass for acting like that, now...now its just normal and accepted.

Guess Im just old and my geritol ran out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws