over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Supplment stacks for GAD and depressive symtoms

gshoty

Registered
For as long as I remember, and especially now with my usual mounting responsibilities and no offseason attitude, I have a lot of anxiety and that leaves me feeling drained leading to depression. I feel out of it all the time leaving me with no sex drive at all, no desire to talk to people, tiredness, no interest in doing anything, and now some light clean food binges just to have some comfort. Im not nor have i ever took prescription meds for this and am adamantly against it.

From what I've gathered so far it seems a good stack for easing anxiety and these depression-like symptoms is: 2-4x/day ~1600mg SAM-E
2 doses of ~200mg am/pm split
Melatonin 5mg at night (i always do the melatonin)

Someone who has experience with these please critique this stack. I know this thread won't be just helping me as others have these issues and don't want to use rx meds.

Last edited:
I believe they have found SAm-e has some mood enhancing properties and helps restore energy. In some patients, it can actually induce a manic episode. I'm not familiar with extensive studies using same for anxiety. Although depression and anxiety are often highly co-morbid, in most cases, the anxiety is driving the depression. Think about someone who constantly ruminates, catastrophizes, and/or analyzes just about everything- pretty depressing approach.

Melatonin has minimal effectiveness in most large data studies but some find it helpful for sleep (could be placebo). Sleep doctors will recommend it for jet lag and maybe some symptoms of insomnia but manage your expectations. I believe the half life is somewhere around 18 min so it may provide some relief but even a good sedating antidepressant could be a viable replacement (helps with depression, anxiety, and sleep).

I would highly recommend some relaxing/enjoyable activities and developing a good bedtime routine. Our older generations had excellent methods to help facilitate sleep (family dinners, reading, etc). Also, monitor your thinking for distortions (ie catastrophizing events). In this day in age, most people struggle to develop "hobbies" that help offset the struggles/pain associated with increasing work demands. If you have a propensity to use caffeine to compensate for sleep/energy, try reducing your Intake and limit it to the morning only.

Take sometime to really restructure your thinking and gain some insight into your distress. So if you are perfectionistic, remember the "good enough" strategy. Try some different activities to break the cycle and become a little more adventurous. Go swimming instead of running, go for a hike rather then the gym, etc.

We all can probably benefit from generating some positive experiences/memories to help cope with our everyday stressors. Oh yeah, start saying hello to someone new everyday and cultivate a new friendship or acquaintance. Social support, sunshine, exercise, nutrition, and good sleep can do wonders.

And take small breaks throughout the day for a quick walk and eat a snack. Trust me, I have an exceedingly demanding schedule but make time because it is important.

Last edited:
5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, Picamilon?

Heard great things of sam-e though...

I believe they have found SAm-e has some mood enhancing properties and helps restore energy. In some patients, it can actually induce a manic episode. I'm not familiar with extensive studies using same for anxiety. Although depression and anxiety are often highly co-morbid, in most cases, the anxiety is driving the depression. Think about someone who constantly ruminates, catastrophizes, and/or analyzes just about everything- pretty depressing approach.

Melatonin has minimal effectiveness in most large data studies but some find it helpful for sleep (could be placebo). Sleep doctors will recommend it for jet lag and maybe some symptoms of insomnia but manage your expectations. I believe the half life is somewhere around 18 min so it may provide some relief but even a good sedating antidepressant could be a viable replacement (helps with depression, anxiety, and sleep).

I would highly recommend some relaxing/enjoyable activities and developing a good bedtime routine. Our older generations had excellent methods to help facilitate sleep (family dinners, reading, etc). Also, monitor your thinking for distortions (ie catastrophizing events). In this day in age, most people struggle to develop "hobbies" that help offset the struggles/pain associated with increasing work demands. If you have a propensity to use caffeine to compensate for sleep/energy, try reducing your Intake and limit it to the morning only.

Take sometime to really restructure your thinking and gain some insight into your distress. So if you are perfectionistic, remember the "good enough" strategy. Try some different activities to break the cycle and become a little more adventurous. Go swimming instead of running, go for a hike rather then the gym, etc.

We all can probably benefit from generating some positive experiences/memories to help cope with our everyday stressors. Oh yeah, start saying hello to someone new everyday and cultivate a new friendship or acquaintance. Social support, sunshine, exercise, nutrition, and good sleep can do wonders.

And take small breaks throughout the day for a quick walk and eat a snack. Trust me, I have an exceedingly demanding schedule but make time because it is important.
This Advice is great but I already do all of these things

Thinking of adding gaba in 2x a day. Obtained the Sam e we'll see how that goes. My blood work and symptoms point to adrenal fatigue so in gonna get an adaptogens product also tm if I can

just go to the doc and tell them your having small bouts of depression because of the stress you now under. get something that will really treat the symptoms instead of expensive otc's.

Have you had bloodwork done recently? What are you currently using AAS wise?

Making sure your hormones are optimized is essential to eliminating them as a cause of the depressive symptoms you're experiencing.

Do you ever think about suicide? I don't mean to ask if you are actively interested in pursuing it, but I'm curious if you ever have thoughts of it, even if you feel like they are irrational.

I don't really have any issue against pharmaceutical options, as they've come a long way since the first prescription meds, but if you are against them, then I can suggest the following.

St Johns Wort - standardized for Hyperforin - Perika Brand - downside is that it can cause photosensitivity - you can burn easily in the sun.

Bacopa - can make people tired and groggy, but in the evening can help with sleep.

Holy Basil - good for anxiety

Ashwagandha - another adaptogen that can help with anxiety

Rhodiola Rosea - adaptogen that helps balance serotonin

Lithium Orotate - This has been huge for me. Just one tablet a day equals 5mg of elemental lithium, which has been shown to be an essential trace mineral, and helps ease anxiety, depression and increases growth factors in the brain, increases B12 transport. Look at amazon.com and you will see some people's reviews that are nothing short of miracles for them.

Inositol - Useful for OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) Sometimes if you have a negative thought you can't seem to shake it? Inositol even at 2 grams three times daily can help eliminate this obsessive thinking pattern.

Curcumin - reduces inflammation and is a mild MAOi (inhibits the breakdown of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin)

Forskolin - just seems to be good for mood.
MethylFolate - some people cannot turn folic acid into folate, and taking folate directly has been shown to increase feelings of wellbeing by increasing the production of serotonin dopamine and NE.

Magnesium -- Many many people are deficient in this mineral. 900mg daily has been studied as a depression treatment. And for good reason.

Benfotiamine - a fat soluble form of Thiamine. It seems to really augment my other anti-depressant trials.

Kanna - sceletium tortosuom. Herball SSRI

BPC-157 has been shown to have antidepresant effects

cerebrolysin has been a godsend to some people. its expensive and you have to inject a shit ton of it, but for some people its been the only thing that has worked for them.

Some people have good experience with Kratom as an antidepressant but i dont recommend it.

I have always said "You can't outtrain a bad diet, and you can easily outthink a good antidepressant". Meaning you have to be willing to do the work on developing a healthy relationship with your self. Many of us on here are here because we hated our bodies at some point and that can lead to depression very easily. A lot of us suffer from lingering effects of PTSD from abuse, neglect, drug use, etc.

So it's important to seek out therapy, meditation, volunteering, helping others, finding spiritual fulfillment etc.

BUT!!!

But, when a person is in the throes of depression, they are under a physiological influence that is as real and as physical as epilepsy. When a person is anxious, exhausted and depressed, their brain has been so well-trained to be depressed that it often takes some kind of medical, or herbal intervention to break the cycle of depressive thinking. In other words, telling a deeply depressed individual that they should just think more positively is like telling an asthmatic that they should just breathe better.

But at the same time, you can take all the perfect meds and herbs in the world and if you're hell bent on not taking responsibility for your emotional wellbeing, you will be able to outthink any medication that could be beneficial.

As for my recommendations...

I think St Johns has a great track record. Using the hyperforin rich extract seems to help a lot of people, although I have gotten quite a bit of benefit from even the basic target brand that is standardized for hypericin.

Next up I would recommend Lithium Orotate. It is a very low dose of lithium compared to what people with bipolar take. It has been shown to increase growth factors in the brain, reduce inflammation, increase grey matter and decrease suicidal thoughts and loss of interest in life.

I would also recommend getting 900mg of elemental magnesium everyday. I know it seems obvious, but many of us are extremely deficient in it. Also Benfotiamine can help, and Methylfolate is another great vitamin that can really augment the use of SJW or any other herbal antidepressant.

Kanna is nice, and is an SSRI as well as a PDE4 inhibitor which has been shown to reduce anxiety. Getting a good extract can be expensive, but look up Zembrin and you will be good with that.

Hope this info helps you brother. Depression and anxiety suck. So does not having a good solution for it.

Also, focus on mindfulness meditation and look into cognitive behavioral therapy once you start treating your depression with herbs.

After all, we know that people can take steroids and gain some muscle, but won't get very far without putting in the work in the gym and at the dinner table. Depression is no different. It's an atrophy of the brain's center of reward and satisfaction. To get that part to grow and thrive, you have to train it and use the herbs to increase the growth of these new connections. In other words, if you're dedicated to being miserable, you can take great anti-depressants and still hold on to a negative mindset and get nowhere.

Also, please never underestimate the power of social interaction. If you are isolated and aren't being touched on a regular basis (even if it's a high-five to one of your buds) then you are fighting an uphill battle.

And if you have deep feelings of lovelessness for yourself, then it's time to nip that shit in the bud. Self esteem is of huge importance here. If you don't love yourself, or have the open mind it takes to learn how to love your self again, then nothing of the above will make a difference.

It seems to me though, that you decided to ask these guys if we have any solutions, so it sounds to me like something inside of you is willing to fight for the betterment of you and I hope that flame continues to burn brightly my friend...

Have you had bloodwork done recently? What are you currently using AAS wise?

Making sure your hormones are optimized is essential to eliminating them as a cause of the depressive symptoms you're experiencing.

Do you ever think about suicide? I don't mean to ask if you are actively interested in pursuing it, but I'm curious if you ever have thoughts of it, even if you feel like they are irrational.

I don't really have any issue against pharmaceutical options, as they've come a long way since the first prescription meds, but if you are against them, then I can suggest the following.

St Johns Wort - standardized for Hyperforin - Perika Brand - downside is that it can cause photosensitivity - you can burn easily in the sun.

Bacopa - can make people tired and groggy, but in the evening can help with sleep.

Holy Basil - good for anxiety

Ashwagandha - another adaptogen that can help with anxiety

Rhodiola Rosea - adaptogen that helps balance serotonin

Lithium Orotate - This has been huge for me. Just one tablet a day equals 5mg of elemental lithium, which has been shown to be an essential trace mineral, and helps ease anxiety, depression and increases growth factors in the brain, increases B12 transport. Look at amazon.com and you will see some people's reviews that are nothing short of miracles for them.

Inositol - Useful for OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) Sometimes if you have a negative thought you can't seem to shake it? Inositol even at 2 grams three times daily can help eliminate this obsessive thinking pattern.

Curcumin - reduces inflammation and is a mild MAOi (inhibits the breakdown of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin)

Forskolin - just seems to be good for mood.
MethylFolate - some people cannot turn folic acid into folate, and taking folate directly has been shown to increase feelings of wellbeing by increasing the production of serotonin dopamine and NE.

Magnesium -- Many many people are deficient in this mineral. 900mg daily has been studied as a depression treatment. And for good reason.

Benfotiamine - a fat soluble form of Thiamine. It seems to really augment my other anti-depressant trials.

Kanna - sceletium tortosuom. Herball SSRI

BPC-157 has been shown to have antidepresant effects

cerebrolysin has been a godsend to some people. its expensive and you have to inject a shit ton of it, but for some people its been the only thing that has worked for them.

Some people have good experience with Kratom as an antidepressant but i dont recommend it.

I have always said "You can't outtrain a bad diet, and you can easily outthink a good antidepressant". Meaning you have to be willing to do the work on developing a healthy relationship with your self. Many of us on here are here because we hated our bodies at some point and that can lead to depression very easily. A lot of us suffer from lingering effects of PTSD from abuse, neglect, drug use, etc.

So it's important to seek out therapy, meditation, volunteering, helping others, finding spiritual fulfillment etc.

BUT!!!

But, when a person is in the throes of depression, they are under a physiological influence that is as real and as physical as epilepsy. When a person is anxious, exhausted and depressed, their brain has been so well-trained to be depressed that it often takes some kind of medical, or herbal intervention to break the cycle of depressive thinking. In other words, telling a deeply depressed individual that they should just think more positively is like telling an asthmatic that they should just breathe better.

But at the same time, you can take all the perfect meds and herbs in the world and if you're hell bent on not taking responsibility for your emotional wellbeing, you will be able to outthink any medication that could be beneficial.

As for my recommendations...

I think St Johns has a great track record. Using the hyperforin rich extract seems to help a lot of people, although I have gotten quite a bit of benefit from even the basic target brand that is standardized for hypericin.

Next up I would recommend Lithium Orotate. It is a very low dose of lithium compared to what people with bipolar take. It has been shown to increase growth factors in the brain, reduce inflammation, increase grey matter and decrease suicidal thoughts and loss of interest in life.

I would also recommend getting 900mg of elemental magnesium everyday. I know it seems obvious, but many of us are extremely deficient in it. Also Benfotiamine can help, and Methylfolate is another great vitamin that can really augment the use of SJW or any other herbal antidepressant.

Kanna is nice, and is an SSRI as well as a PDE4 inhibitor which has been shown to reduce anxiety. Getting a good extract can be expensive, but look up Zembrin and you will be good with that.

Hope this info helps you brother. Depression and anxiety suck. So does not having a good solution for it.

Also, focus on mindfulness meditation and look into cognitive behavioral therapy once you start treating your depression with herbs.

After all, we know that people can take steroids and gain some muscle, but won't get very far without putting in the work in the gym and at the dinner table. Depression is no different. It's an atrophy of the brain's center of reward and satisfaction. To get that part to grow and thrive, you have to train it and use the herbs to increase the growth of these new connections. In other words, if you're dedicated to being miserable, you can take great anti-depressants and still hold on to a negative mindset and get nowhere.

Also, please never underestimate the power of social interaction. If you are isolated and aren't being touched on a regular basis (even if it's a high-five to one of your buds) then you are fighting an uphill battle.

And if you have deep feelings of lovelessness for yourself, then it's time to nip that shit in the bud. Self esteem is of huge importance here. If you don't love yourself, or have the open mind it takes to learn how to love your self again, then nothing of the above will make a difference.

It seems to me though, that you decided to ask these guys if we have any solutions, so it sounds to me like something inside of you is willing to fight for the betterment of you and I hope that flame continues to burn brightly my friend...

Wow thats a lot of great info!

Wow Discohornet thank you so much for all the info. Ive been training myself close to death these last couple of months and I think I cracked. Im taking some time off, just a few days, and eating some good tasting food. Ive had severe adrenal fatigue (actually diagnosed by a dr) and I ran out of the supplement he put me on. I think thats what tipped me over the edge but I was on the edge for awhile. i have the supplement now (ingredients included are intisol, ashwaganda, Rhodila, etc adaptogens like that) and I think itll bring me back to normal. The main thing with me was I wasnt recovering at all. Theyre are some people who can train 2x a day and others that do 3x a week. Its individual, alot of factors go into it. Now ill be back to training just as hard but giving myself time to recover. So days off plus food plus supplements are gonna bring me back to health. I also purchased GABA+L theanine for sleep to get me off of the melatonin that ive been taking forever, I want to sleep without it. Im weening myself off then not going to take anything for sleep in the future. Il keeep this thread posted with my recovery progress as many probley will go through the same thing in their journey as an athlete.

Discohornet mentioned ashwagandha. I had some succes with this. It's mild but seems to help a bit with sleep and anxiety.

I'm not taking any AAS and stopped all caffeine stims awhile back. My blood work is really on point so high cortisol and then it got really low for am. I'm told by my doc both are really bad. So I'm back on adrenal support and as of tn am taking dhea. Sam e to help get serotonin back where it needs to be taking some rest and training smarter from now on

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131