over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stop ruining your entire contest prep!

FutureFreak

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
When you are in great condition a few weeks before a contest and have done everything in your power to be looking great without any unnecessary manipulations -- you technically should be able to coast into the day of the show.

However --- I still hear people using depletion methods along with sodium and carb manipulations starting 10 days out or so.....REALLY!?!?! You either look good or not at 10 days out and are only asking for trouble if doing this.

I witnessed a guy who could have won an overall this last Saturday lose by doing manipulations that were completely uncalled for.

I will say this --- Diuretics are NOT mandatory and you can be ultra dry without them, but choosing the RIGHT diuretic can definitely be an "insurance policy" in a sense.

I only feel comfortable advocating dyazide (triameterine/HCTZ) which is potassium sparing and acts very fast upon using. 1/2 tabs are all that is needed the evening before show time. It's just icing on the cake.

I still cannot figure out why guru's / competitors insist on using Aldactone for diuretic properties??? It's a friggin ANTI-ANDROGEN that is not a diuretic but an aldosterone blocker that takes 3-4 days to build up in blood.

Yet prep coaches will sometimes throw this in 1-2 days out which is really not adequate time for it to even work properly. Using aldactone is favored because it is considered "safe" and potassium sparing. However -- once this Androgen Blocker builds up in the blood --- chances are you may go very flat. Once aldosterone is blocked --- "shitload" on all the bacon burgers you want because it wont fill you because the aldosterone is now blocked and vascularity from increased blood pressure is non existent.

So use dyazide or nothing at all.

As for Sodium and carbs should REMAIN pretty much the same all during the final week --- and perhaps lowering sodium 1 day out is really as "extreme"as it should get. Carbs by that time are most likely low and you are looking dry and full due to high water and high sodium.

For carb loading --- that is something that can be done 1 day out or the morning of the show. Trust me --- you do not need 3 days of 800g / 1000g/ and 600g of carbs for weds, thurs and fri!!!!

That is asking for trouble! Most people fail to realize that you store anywhere from 175-250g in your liver , and anywhere from 375-500 as muscle glycogen.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say you are bigger than average (225lbs ripped) and are "depleted" so you now might be able to store more than that ---so instead if approximately 500-750g of glycogen,,,, you can top out at 1000g.

I would rather be 80% "full" and dry as all hell, then to push the envelope from 3000 grams of yams for 3 days!!!!

Trust me, high water and high sodium will keep you NOT flat.

Summation:
  • Be in shape 2 weeks out
  • keep water high and sodium high until friday before show
  • If using an "insurance policy" (diuretic) opt for dyazide only
  • Do not load carbs for 3 days to astronomical amounts
  • Use 1 day or day of show to load carbs and dry out simultaneously.

-ff

I like this thread you make really a really good point.

When should test be dropped?

Everyone of course is different, but ran low the final 8 weeks (250-400/week) and dropped 3 weeks out..... OR do not run at all the last 8 weeks.....

-FF

Good thread.

I want to add that i think another problem is often people are just not in super condition to be able to play around with water and carbs. People mistake "water" for fat quite often it seems. Atleast here in Michigan lol

Thank you for posting this. There's been a lot of talk on this lately and it's gotten me interested. Last year I screwed up and ended up pretty flat on the day of a big show. I was using a "traditional" 3 day carb up, dropped water and sodium on Friday, and used Dyazide on Friday evening and again on Saturday morning. I don't want to make the same mistake again, I feel as if I could have placed much better if I kept some fullness to my muscles. I think it's time to start experimenting with another carb-up method.

Good thread.

I want to add that i think another problem is often people are just not in super condition to be able to play around with water and carbs. People mistake "water" for fat quite often it seems. Atleast here in Michigan lol

Excellent post right here. Most people haven't dieted hard enough, and are actually still fat, then try and make up for it with a diuretic thinking it is a water problem.

When you are in great condition a few weeks before a contest and have done everything in your power to be looking great without any unnecessary manipulations -- you technically should be able to coast into the day of the show.

However --- I still hear people using depletion methods along with sodium and carb manipulations starting 10 days out or so.....REALLY!?!?! You either look good or not at 10 days out and are only asking for trouble if doing this.

I witnessed a guy who could have won an overall this last Saturday lose by doing manipulations that were completely uncalled for.

I will say this --- Diuretics are NOT mandatory and you can be ultra dry without them, but choosing the RIGHT diuretic can definitely be an "insurance policy" in a sense.

I only feel comfortable advocating dyazide (triameterine/HCTZ) which is potassium sparing and acts very fast upon using. 1/2 tabs are all that is needed the evening before show time. It's just icing on the cake.

I still cannot figure out why guru's / competitors insist on using Aldactone for diuretic properties??? It's a friggin ANTI-ANDROGEN that is not a diuretic but an aldosterone blocker that takes 3-4 days to build up in blood.

Yet prep coaches will sometimes throw this in 1-2 days out which is really not adequate time for it to even work properly. Using aldactone is favored because it is considered "safe" and potassium sparing. However -- once this Androgen Blocker builds up in the blood --- chances are you may go very flat. Once aldosterone is blocked --- "shitload" on all the bacon burgers you want because it wont fill you because the aldosterone is now blocked and vascularity from increased blood pressure is non existent.

So use dyazide or nothing at all.

As for Sodium and carbs should REMAIN pretty much the same all during the final week --- and perhaps lowering sodium 1 day out is really as "extreme"as it should get. Carbs by that time are most likely low and you are looking dry and full due to high water and high sodium.

For carb loading --- that is something that can be done 1 day out or the morning of the show. Trust me --- you do not need 3 days of 800g / 1000g/ and 600g of carbs for weds, thurs and fri!!!!

That is asking for trouble! Most people fail to realize that you store anywhere from 175-250g in your liver , and anywhere from 375-500 as muscle glycogen.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say you are bigger than average (225lbs ripped) and are "depleted" so you now might be able to store more than that ---so instead if approximately 500-750g of glycogen,,,, you can top out at 1000g.

I would rather be 80% "full" and dry as all hell, then to push the envelope from 3000 grams of yams for 3 days!!!!

Trust me, high water and high sodium will keep you NOT flat.

Summation:
  • Be in shape 2 weeks out
  • keep water high and sodium high until friday before show
  • If using an "insurance policy" (diuretic) opt for dyazide only
  • Do not load carbs for 3 days to astronomical amounts
  • Use 1 day or day of show to load carbs and dry out simultaneously.

-ff
I've been doing it like this this or very similar to this for the last 6 years at every show with very positive results. It is logical, healthy(relatively speaking) and will, as you say put 'icing on the cake'
Peace,
M2M:cool:

Great thread bro...I agree 100%. I think the main thing that should be noted is the "come in ready 2 weeks out"!! If you are not ready 12-14 days before your show then its very doubtful that you will be ready for the day of the show. Come in ready 2 weeks out and you wont have to panic and try all this crazy shit in the hopes of looking your best. When your body is used to doing pretty much the same thing for 10-15 weeks then you all of a sudden hit it with something out of the blue ofcourse its going to freak out and not know what to do.

I to have seen so many ppl bust their ass for months before I show to look as big and shredded and full as possible only to mess it up the last week and look worse then they did 10 weeks out or whatever. This happened to me my first go at dieting for a show...I was spot on till the last week and my training partner talked me into doing some crazy shit and it just sent my body into a shock and I ended up having to pull out of that show and hit the next one. Looking back on it ...it worked out for the best because I ended up doing much better and it was a much better show to win my weight class.

Thank you for posting this. There's been a lot of talk on this lately and it's gotten me interested. Last year I screwed up and ended up pretty flat on the day of a big show. I was using a "traditional" 3 day carb up, dropped water and sodium on Friday, and used Dyazide on Friday evening and again on Saturday morning. I don't want to make the same mistake again, I feel as if I could have placed much better if I kept some fullness to my muscles. I think it's time to start experimenting with another carb-up method.

Remember its not so much the carbing up or "carb load" per se, it's just never lettering yourself get too flat.

Keep water high, sodium high, keep carbs where ever they need to be to get into condition----> then use a mild carb up to essentially "dry you out" while aiding in fullness to. That is why I begin carb loading Friday or Saturday morning.

Sure I have had people eat higher carbs earlier in week to stock some glycogen, but then basically had them go low carbs right afterwards until show time (mon & tues higher carbs) Weds-Sat lower carbs.

-Ff

Great thread bro...I agree 100%. I think the main thing that should be noted is the "come in ready 2 weeks out"!! If you are not ready 12-14 days before your show then its very doubtful that you will be ready for the day of the show. Come in ready 2 weeks out and you wont have to panic and try all this crazy shit in the hopes of looking your best. When your body is used to doing pretty much the same thing for 10-15 weeks then you all of a sudden hit it with something out of the blue ofcourse its going to freak out and not know what to do.

I to have seen so many ppl bust their ass for months before I show to look as big and shredded and full as possible only to mess it up the last week and look worse then they did 10 weeks out or whatever. This happened to me my first go at dieting for a show...I was spot on till the last week and my training partner talked me into doing some crazy shit and it just sent my body into a shock and I ended up having to pull out of that show and hit the next one. Looking back on it ...it worked out for the best because I ended up doing much better and it was a much better show to win my weight class.

It can be VERY tough when you have several people pitching you numerous ideas that all are slightly different.

I always have to bite my tongue when I hear a competitor who is peeled as hell 2 weeks out and tells me what their coach is having them do....

I encourage them to ask their coach questions on what , why and how, pertaining to their logic, because it usually flat out sucks.

Its to bad....

FF

I figure this is necessary -- I will post some pics of myself to show you, while I am nothing great --- I can get myself into pretty decent and consistent condition.

(I don't want to make a thread and be "anonymous guy behind keyboard")

I was a heavy weight in all previous shows and am finally taking 1.5 years for off-season to "mutate" as they call it and be a super-hvy.

Currently 265+ and happy with my condition.

-Ff

Last edited by a moderator:
:headbang: Thank you FF for creating this thread man, was going to post up a similar thread to this yesterday and ask about how people approach there last week. My plan is pretty much EXACTLY what you have said...which is nice as it tells me sometimes my thinking is not bad as i think it is :confused:

I plan to keep everything the same, i've kept my water high-ish and sodium high all the way through prep....yes i AM behind but things are certainly certainly dialing in. And i plan on keeping things the same all the way up to the night before the show, cut water around 9-10pm. And then just spend the morning of the show carbing up.

Now heres a question for you or anyone who wants to chime in....

The show im competing at there is no night show per se, basically you go on for comparisons.....do the Symettry round then you go off....come back on straight away for individual posing routines....then once everyone is finished you come back on for the muscularity comparisons....then you go off for 20 minutes and come back for the results....so in theory i dont have to worry about watering over or bloating over for the night show, how would you approach it? Just the same as in the carb up process?

Last minute "tricks" are usually what ruins 16-20 weeks of prep.

If you`re in shape,you really don`t need to do a hell of a lot for the most part except step on stage and get it on...........lots of broscience comes into play and ruins a lot of dreams.

:headbang: Thank you FF for creating this thread man, was going to post up a similar thread to this yesterday and ask about how people approach there last week. My plan is pretty much EXACTLY what you have said...which is nice as it tells me sometimes my thinking is not bad as i think it is :confused:

I plan to keep everything the same, i've kept my water high-ish and sodium high all the way through prep....yes i AM behind but things are certainly certainly dialing in. And i plan on keeping things the same all the way up to the night before the show, cut water around 9-10pm. And then just spend the morning of the show carbing up.

Now heres a question for you or anyone who wants to chime in....

The show im competing at there is no night show per se, basically you go on for comparisons.....do the Symettry round then you go off....come back on straight away for individual posing routines....then once everyone is finished you come back on for the muscularity comparisons....then you go off for 20 minutes and come back for the results....so in theory i dont have to worry about watering over or bloating over for the night show, how would you approach it? Just the same as in the carb up process?

That sounds chaotic. No time to re group and go home and take a nap. You basically should stay calm and relaxed back stage --- keeping your body tight for comparisons, do NOT over do carbs and distend the abdomen.

Add sodium back into system 1 hr before each stage appearance. YOu cannot really risk eating heavy after Pj since you have it all in one shot. Just keep your midesction tight and have everything at your disposal; -- sodium, carbs and some fluids to keep from cramping and staying some what full.

-FF

FF, what's your take on fluid intake on the day of the show. In the past I have always had nothing for fear of ending up with SQ water, but then again I seem to always end up quite flat as well. Is there a trick to using enough fluids to keep some fullness while not ending up watery? And would it still apply if using dyazide on friday evening to eliminate subcutaneous water (I'm guessing no but I'm not sure)?

If a guy was getting say 100g carbs a day the last 2 weeks of his prep would you cut the carb out completly wednesday , thursday and start your carb load late friday or would you run the 100g strait through then carb up as mentioned?
I would think that with the little lifting and posing going on the last few days that you would still be burning off those few carbs anyway

OR

What if you had a guy that was behind and has been running a no carb diet for the last few weeks , would you still have them carb up starting late friday? or would it take a little more time
(for a guy 250 ish pounds)

Also whats your take on using insulin to carb load?

FF, what's your take on fluid intake on the day of the show. In the past I have always had nothing for fear of ending up with SQ water, but then again I seem to always end up quite flat as well. Is there a trick to using enough fluids to keep some fullness while not ending up watery? And would it still apply if using dyazide on friday evening to eliminate subcutaneous water (I'm guessing no but I'm not sure)?

I think sodium is important the day of the show -- and that is where you must be cautious with adding fluids.

Remember --- fluids should only have been cut off by bed time (on Friday) something like 8-10pm and also never tapered just high intake as normal.

The 1/2 tab of dyazide further sped of the excretion process and in the morning the "blank canvas" is ready. Then you add some sodium laden carbs into the equation.

I always make sure to flex periodically throughout saturday morning and make sure my muscles are contracting forcefully and check the mirror to pay attention to shoulder caps etc.... I would introduce some fluids before pj, not too much but 8-12 oz or so....

After PJ drink some more since you have pee'd more and sweated of course. The key is simply not to chug and over do fluids that morning -- youhave set yourself up for a nice 24+ hr "grace period" of fullness, and dryness before homeostasis will catch up with you some time sunday night.

The only way to truly F#ck up your condition Saturday is to drink a gallon of water super fast + eat high sodium foods......(just control fluids saturday)

-Ff

If a guy was getting say 100g carbs a day the last 2 weeks of his prep would you cut the carb out completly wednesday , thursday and start your carb load late friday or would you run the 100g strait through then carb up as mentioned?
I would think that with the little lifting and posing going on the last few days that you would still be burning off those few carbs anyway

OR

What if you had a guy that was behind and has been running a no carb diet for the last few weeks , would you still have them carb up starting late friday? or would it take a little more time
(for a guy 250 ish pounds)

1.) Unless he was carb cycling 100 , 50, 150 or something to that extent and was USED TO that low of carbs I would just keep at 100g....

Then focus on drying him out friday, and adding carbs Saturday morning. Super simple.

2.) Some guys are so naturally thick and "husky" they can take hours of cardio, little food, and some how still remain "full looking." I am dealing with this type of person now! I could feed him oxygen and water and he wont lose weight......For this person it would all depend on how they "looked" in the final few days......

I am thinking a morning of the show -- simply to further dry them out and scavenge some more water inthe process.

-Ff

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner