mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do people who can't be disciplined with their diet annoy me so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends that are just like this , always asking training questions and questions about diets and I really have to look at them and train with them to know if they are personally worth my time because 95% of them give up extremely easily even if the program/diet is very simple they just don't have the right mindset/dedication / motivation for it, they would rather go out and eat some junk , play some games, watch tv , etc.

My girlfriend is the main one, she's obese which I hate and has always enjoyed exercising, comes from a sporty background etc. On the one hand she's not lazy i.e. she'll happily walk 2-3 miles to the shop and back at the drop of a hat but she's extremely lazy on the other hand i.e. she'll sit or lay down for hours at a time and do nothing.

I try to help her constantly by writing her diets but the excuses start coming and I keep finding sweets/candy/chocolates etc in her pockets which I also hate. She can't seem to even stick to a diet for a day. Cant seem to be consistent with her cardio and when she does it, doesn't care about it i.e. doesnt ask me for my heart rate monitor so she can monitor that her heart rate is in the optimal fat burning zone etc.

It drives me insane and makes me have no respect for her. Its not just her but mostly is tbf, I try to help a friend as well, have put in so much time with him messaging on Facebook etc, passing on knowledge etc, writing him diets etc but again no discipline and it annoys me. Maybe its the fact that Ive put in so much time and effort with them, I don't think they see their excuses for what they are and I suppose I just can't relate to them, maybe thats what it is as well?

Do people with no discipline/lazy people/people who joke about trying to diet but eat junk instead etc annoy you like they do me?

She doesn't sound weak-minded or physically lazy to me--it sounds to me like your problem is that she doesn't care about about what YOU care about. Did you notice that YOU are the one who is always designing her diets and trying to get her to follow them, that YOU always telling her to do cardio and monitor her heart rate, that YOU always telling her not to eat chocolate, etc?

You said she came from a sport's background, which tells me she does NOT have an aversion to physical movement...because physically lazy people avoid ALL physical exertion, especially sports. You also said she has no problem walking for several miles at a time when she's going somewhere she wants to go.

I don't see a lazy girl here. I see someone who just doesn't care about the physical activities you care about...someone who doesn't have the same physical goals that you do...and someone who isn't interested in mimicking your methods to attain health and fitness.

You say she doesn't want to follow a bodybuilding diet like the other 99.9% of people on this earth? Well that's not surprising because it FUCKING SUCKS! You say she doesn't want to live a bodybuilding lifestyle like the other 99.9% of people on this Earth? Well that's not surprising because it FUCKING SUCKS!

Very FEW people actually prefer the bodybuilding lifestyle compared to normal living, including bodybuilders...because it just isn't fun to cause physical pain to oneself every day, eat things you'd rather not, and run in place for 30 minutes while staring at the wall. If most bodybuilders, even pros, could build an equally good physique eating the foods they love, never doing cardio, and only training hard when they felt like it, the VAST majority would choose that lifestyle instead of their current one.

Why do think almost NO retired bodybuilders continue doing what they did when they were competing, drugs aside? Because they no longer want to eat or train like bodybuilders. Nearly all of them end up saying to themselves "fuck that", I don't wanna live this life anymore. They are no longer concerned with having a world-class physique, so they stop living the lifestyle. If they loved the lifestyle more than normal living, they would continue living it post-retirement, but they don't...because they don't! Even Dorian Yates, which was one of, if not the most dedicated bodybuilder of all-time, stopped living the lifestyle post-retirement. in fact, he went in the complete opposite direction and started getting high, drinking alcohol, and eating 2-3X a day when he felt like it.

Anyway, I am rambling, but the point is that by the way you made things sounds, it doesn't seem like she is a lazy person. Rather, the issue seems to be that you want her to be a bodybuilder (at heart) like you and she doesn't want to be. Anything bodybuilding related she does participate in is probably only being done to please you. You think she doesn't have the willpower to follow a diet for a single day? Not at all. What's going on here is that she doesn't WANT to follow your diets, so she isn't, but instead of coming right out and telling you that, she is being passive about it and expressing her disapproval by never actually doing it. This way she doesn't have to deal with confrontation and go through head-on war with you over why she doesn't want to live the bodybuilding lifestyle. I bet if she has a physical outlet she enjoyed--maybe with some lady friends--she would have no problem getting involved.

If you can't accept the fact that she is probably NEVER going to consistently follow a bodybuilding diet, train with a die-hard mentality, and get excited to do cardio...then you are probably with the wrong girl. Remember, it is YOU that are the oddity in this relationship--not her. That doesn't make you wrong, but it doesn't make her wrong either.

On another note, here's a little tip. NEVER design diet/training programs for friends/family members for free---because free diets have no value. If someone doesn't have to invest anything to get something, its perceived value is nothing. On the other hand, anyone who PAYS for diets/training programs is going to place a whole lot more value on it because it cost them something. If a friend/family member isn't willing to pay even $100 for your expertise, which could change their lives, then they definitely aren't going to follow a free diet. Stop wasting your time. The people who get free diet/training plans are ALWAYS the first people to flake out.

Last edited:
I have friends that are just like this , always asking training questions and questions about diets and I really have to look at them and train with them to know if they are personally worth my time because 95% of them give up extremely easily even if the program/diet is very simple they just don't have the right mindset/dedication / motivation for it, they would rather go out and eat some junk , play some games, watch tv , etc.

Like I told the last guy, stop giving them free advice because it has no value to them. things that are free never do. Why give up your valuable time, only for it to be trampled under foot? People have to invest something in order to place a value on it. Either charge them or stop giving advice. Otherwise, they will keep disrespecting you by wasting your time--because you are allowing them to, and that is disrespecting yourself.

She doesn't sound weak-minded or physically lazy to me--it sounds to me like your problem is that she doesn't care about about what YOU care about. Did you notice that YOU are the one who is always designing her diets and trying to get her to follow them, that YOU always telling her to do cardio and monitor her heart rate, that YOU always telling her not to eat chocolate, etc?

You said she came from a sport's background, which tells me she does NOT have an aversion to physical movement...because physically lazy people avoid ALL physical exertion, especially sports. You also said she has no problem walking for several miles at a time when she's going somewhere she wants to go.

I don't see a lazy girl here. I see someone who just doesn't care about the physical activities you care about...someone who doesn't have the same physical goals that you do...and someone who isn't interested in mimicking your methods to attain health and fitness.

You say she doesn't want to follow a bodybuilding diet like the other 99.9% of people on this earth? Well that's not surprising because it FUCKING SUCKS! You say she doesn't want to live a bodybuilding lifestyle like the other 99.9% of people on this Earth? Well that's not surprising because it FUCKING SUCKS!

Very FEW people actually prefer the bodybuilding lifestyle compared to normal living, including bodybuilders...because it just isn't fun to cause physical pain to oneself every day, eat things you'd rather not, and run in place for 30 minutes staring at the wall. If most bodybuilders, even pros, could build an equally good physique eating the foods they love, never doing cardio, and only training hard when they felt like it, the VAST majority would choose that lifestyle instead of their current one.

Why do think almost NO retired bodybuilders continue doing what they did when they were competing, drugs aside? Because they no longer want to eat or train like bodybuilders. Nearly all of them end up saying to themselves "fuck that", I don't wanna live this life anymore. They are no longer concerned with having a world-class physique, so they stop living the lifestyle. If they loved the lifestyle more than normal living, they would continue living it post-retirement, but they don't...because they don't! Even Dorian Yates, which was one of, if not the most dedicated bodybuilder of all-time, stopped living the lifestyle post-retirement. in fact, he went in the complete opposite direction and started getting high, drinking alcohol, and eating 2-3X a day when he felt like it.

Anyway, I am rambling, but the point is that by the way you made things sounds, it doesn't seem like she is a lazy person. rather, the issue seems to be that you want her to be a bodybuilder (at heart) like you and she doesn't want to be. Anything bodybuilding related she does participate in is probably only being dine to please you. I bet if she has a physical outlet she enjoyed--maybe with some lady friends--she would have no problem getting involved.

If you can't accept the fact that she is probably NEVER going to consistently follow a bodybuilding diet, train with a die-hard mentality, and get excited to do cardio...then you are probably with the wrong girl. Remember, it is YOU that are the oddity in this relationship--not her. That doesn't make you wrong, but it doesn't make her wrong either.

Great post Mike. I think a lot of us dont realize that to the overwhelming majority of the population WE are the "strange" ones. 99% of people dont give a rats ass about working out or protein and carbs... i've actually had people say to me "Life is too short, drink and party have a good time while you can".

Although I do feel that most guys who live this lifestyle are mentally stronger than the other segment of the population I dont look down on them...it's actually the way it has to be. Nature did that for a good reason...could you imagine a world where everyone was alpha type males with strong wills and a desire to be on top? It would be pure chaos and non-stop warfare. Society would never get anywhere because we would all be busy fighting each other. So in a way it's good that most people are sheep...it allows the strong to dominate and push society forward.

Like I told the last guy, stop giving them free advice because it has no value to them. things that are free never do. Why give up your valuable time, only for it to be trampled under foot? People have to invest something in order to place a value on it. Either charge them or stop giving advice. Otherwise, they will keep disrespecting you by wasting your time--because you are allowing them to, and that is disrespecting yourself.

Continued...

There is a guy at my gym who I just tarted talking to. He trains LITERALLY 5-6 hours a day, 6 days a week. He is a foreigner here, by himself, and knows no one, so he just trains from the time gets out of work until he has to go to bed.

Last week he started asking me for advice, so I complied. I could see he was making a shit-ton of mistakes in every area and figured I could help him. He claimed to be VERY serious about gaining muscle, even said his goal was to be a "bodybuilder" and compete (for the record, he looks like he never lifted weights before). He even asked about how he could get "sponsored"...LOL. he made it very clear that gaining muscle s his priority over everything.

Anyway, the first thing I told him was to stop training 5-6 hours daily, 6 days a week. I explained in a fair amount of detail why he should do this, and advised him to follow a more moderate routine, which I described to him. He admitted to me that after he started training that way, he LOST muscle mass.

A week later I see he is still training 5-6 hours a day, 6 days a week. He comes up to me and starts asking me more questions about training, diet, etc...in the middle of my set, none the less (which he probably didn't think was a big deal because he does 200, low-intensity sets per day...LOL). I told him right to his face...

"don't ask me anymore questions about bodybuilding until you can show me you value my advice...because you are wasting my time. You are still training 5-6 hours per day, 6 days per week, so you either don't care about your progress, which means you were lying to me, or you think I am a fucking idiot and don't know what I am talking about. Either way, you are wasting my time and yours. I am not in the habit of investing in other people just so they can trample my wisdom underfoot"...and walked away.

The guy just stood there for a good 2 minutes looking retarded. The next day he came up an apologized to me, but he hasn't asked me a single question about bodybuilding since. If he ever does, it will be the day he is actually serious about applying what he learns.

Don't let people waste your time.

Last edited:
Great post Mike. I think a lot of us dont realize that to the overwhelming majority of the population WE are the "strange" ones. 99% of people dont give a rats ass about working out or protein and carbs... i've actually had people say to me "Life is too short, drink and party have a good time while you can".

Although I do feel that most guys who live this lifestyle are mentally stronger than the other segment of the population I dont look down on them...it's actually the way it has to be. Nature did that for a good reason...could you imagine a world where everyone was alpha type males with strong wills and a desire to be on top? It would be pure chaos and non-stop warfare. Society would never get anywhere because we would all be busy fighting each other. So in a way it's good that most people are sheep...it allows the strong to dominate and push society forward.

Yeah, I've heard the same stuff many times over. The truth is that everyone could stand to adopt at least a little bit of the bodybuilding lifestyle, even if they apply it in other ways, but most people never will.

I find it fascinating when people pass judgement on others based on diet or training tendencies... Really displays their lack in depth of character and how superficial this obsession we call bodybuilding can blind you.

I just find it mind blowing that 95+% of the population could give two fucks about their health and how they look :confused:

theres alot of different factors that allow for ones success and falls. Motivation level to achieve it is certainly one, theres also genetics. not all people are wired in the brains the same and can become addicted to certain things more seriously. if you look at some studies with comparing sugar to cocaine, mice will begin to choose sugar over the cocaine. sugar even makes you consume other addicting substances more because it desensitizes the dopamine receptors more. sugar is highly addicting and you first have to get that and sweetners out of you diet period then you can start to make strides in other departments. alot of people cant give that up and if they do they turn to fatty foods but its still a stepping stone to cut out the sugar. if they can cut out the sweets thats the biggest accomplishment but still a rocky road. from there on its baby steps with better food choices and portion control. you have to rewire these peoples brains like rehab so its not going to happen all of sudden. alot of people are actually going to food rehabs these days cuz they know there always going to lose the battle. alot of people brains have adapted to telling them there hungry when there brain is actually tired or dehydrated to compensate for the energy needed. its a global epidemic that needs more attention.

You can't change others. You can only change your situation and how you react.

Maybe I am crazy or just a simpleton because I have no pearls of wisdom here - but since you said she is just your girlfriend can't you just make her your EX gf?
If something bothers you enough to vent to worldwide strangers - maybe it's best to move on man. If you love her unconditionally - this wouldn't bother you nearly to this level. Don't misread my words - you have every right to want whatever you want in a mate but you have to be honest with yourself.
I mean take me for example - I like Martian chicks - human girls kind of freak me out a little but that's why I stick with Martians and don't try to turn humans into something they just aren't genetically advanced enough to be :D
Well - there is this one human (I think you call them shorties :confused:) but she knows who she is ;)

Last edited:
In my first post regarding the competition I mentioned how I had to give up my career due to my father dying and my mom coming down with Alzheimer's. Believe it or not my career was being a personal trainer for over 15 years.

All my life I lived the bodybuilding lifestyle. I had enough Tupperware to outfit a small Walmart, all numbered for each meal, several food scales, etc.

I used to absolutely despise obese people. I simply did not relate to them on any level. I simply did not understand how someone could be content looking/living like that.

It wasn't until I hit a very dark point in my life that I realized how it happens.

I have a whole new outlook on life thanks to myself gaining massive amounts of fat and becoming lethargic and depressed. I no longer despise those people but instead have empathy for them. I'm willing to bet if you dug deep enough anyone would find out what the real source of the problem is.

Mike Arnold as far as I am concerned hit the nail on the head regarding this issue. Giving workouts/diets/fitness advice away for free simply just does not work and especially towards a fellow friend/family member. Also maintaining an objective and non-judgemental viewpoint regarding their idea of fitness and training is crucial. Like Mike said, 'not everyone wants to look or follow a bodybuilding lifestyle.'

I had so many husbands/boyfriends bring their wives/girlfriends to me for the exact same reason.

Anyways, for what it is worth this has been my own personal experience regarding my outlook on overweight people and I guess I just want to point out that "laziness" is only applicable to a very small percentage of these people.

For me its people that WANT to lose weight or gain size but can't follow a diet are the ones that annoy me. If someone is happy with their current size and all then that does not bother me at all.

But people that can't follow a diet...fucking A. Man ive been obese TWICE, I went through years upon years of depression to suicidal depression. I worked multiple jobs while going to college and so much more. But once i started working out i started a diet and stayed on it. But people use all those shit as an excuse to eat ir drink. I thought once people "growed up" they were suppose to act like it and actually deal with their issues instead of just trying to cover it with something that just made them feel good for a short period.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

Im glad I posted this thread now as this is the kind of response I had hoped for. Different views from different perspectives. Ill start by saying that I agree with you Mike, she isn't inherently lazy as like you said she has came from a sport background and does a lot of walking/doesnt mind walking. I think thats part of the problem and frustration for me, I know she is capable of it and I want to see her achieve it, I feel that Im giving her pretty decent advice that others would charge for, again that may be the problem. She just doesnt want to follow a bodybuilding style diet and she has said it time and time again, she want to do it her way and wants me to leave her alone basically. The problem there is that I believe that if I leave her to her own devices which I have tried before, that she won't have the passion to go online and figure it out for herself, nor the drive to do it herself. She's one of the brainwashed by the media types, I guess most people are and thinks that "weight loss" a term I'm not very fond of comes down to eating the "healthy option" i.e. a salad or a piece of fruit. I could give her shit loads of salad and fruit in her diet and she would still be too stubborn to follow it.

I think thats another part of the problem, she thinks Im being controlling (I probably am) so is resisting by not eating the diets I write her lol its her way of saying fuck you Im in control and Im not eating it. In the latest diet I wrote her, one of the meals was 5 whole eggs, I know she likes eggs, she was eating them daily previously to this. I started by ordering extra eggs the first week of her new diet, by the end of the week there were still loads there. I said "Are you eating your eggs?" She said "No." I said "Why?" She said "Because Ive never got time to cook them." Lol I can and Im sure she can cook 5 eggs start to finish in under 3 minutes, so that was it for me. I can't continue to try and help someone that comes out with ridiculous excuses like that.

Like I said, she's very head strong, determined and driven in other parts of her life and its just frustrating to see that she can't apply those traits to her no longer being obese. Her Grandparents are even concerned, they came to visit last weekend and went to take her to Slimming World lol.

No matter how much I hate her being obese and appearing to be too lazy to do anything about it, I have a 5 year old son with her (6 next weekend) who I love more than anything so leaving her isn't really an option for me. If I did, I know she would take him back to where she's from 100 miles away which I can't even bear the thought of so yeah, not an ideal situation but it looks like Im just going to have to accept that she's always going to be obese. I also agree with what some people said about so called "revenge dieting" lol I believe that would be her best chance, if I left her I think she would try her hardest to lose body fat, whether she succeeded or not is another story but I do believe it would be her best chance of achieving it.

I guess my final point to that long post was that people that want to change but cant keep a diet annoy me because they won't stop bitching about the way they look but never willing to do anything about it.

I guess my final point to that long post was that people that want to change but cant keep a diet annoy me because they won't stop bitching about the way they look but never willing to do anything about it.

I agree, I hate this. They then joke and post stupid things on Facebook like, I went to the shop to buy something healthy but instead came back with a 6 pack of doughnuts and 2 bars of chocolate, hahahahaha.

Yes, hilarious. :rolleyes:

well . . .

Reality minus expectations equals happiness.

And to paraphrase Jimmy Baldwin; we have
to deal with the sons of bitches we are and
the miracles we can be.

So, a little kindness, humility and understanding
might go a long way.

I agree Slice.
I am hoping to motivate my wife by getting in better shape and maybe she will follow suit but she never really eats correctly so i don't know... if they say women end up with their moms body i am scared LOL
if she reads this i will be divorced so it wont matter anyway tho LOL
-F2S
Divorced? I think she would be happy to know that you don't find her mother attractive...lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
muslesarchive11
NapsGear