over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Artificial Sweeteners and Fasted BG

JaredLinez

Registered
Newbies
Having some issues with my fasted BG reading

To preface, I am lean and just on TRT test if 150. 5’11 200lbs. Moderate carb diet and am on 500mg metformin as well as well.

For some reason, my fasted BG is sky high though. Like, 116mg/dL one reading followed by 106, 104, etc I can barely get it under 100.

I am taking my readings 30 mins after waking and drinking 30oz of water to make sure I’m hydrated. Not sure what gives?

Only thing I can think is that I use a lot of artificial sweeteners. Stevia, sucralose, aspartame etc with things like Splenda or Mios… I’ll put them in my coffee, in my protein shakes, in my water. I’ll drink diet sodas too. I don’t use these before I take my fasted BG, but they are a regular part of my diet. Anyone have any luck pulling them back and improving BG?

Having some issues with my fasted BG reading

To preface, I am lean and just on TRT test if 150. 5’11 200lbs. Moderate carb diet and am on 500mg metformin as well as well.

For some reason, my fasted BG is sky high though. Like, 116mg/dL one reading followed by 106, 104, etc I can barely get it under 100.

I am taking my readings 30 mins after waking and drinking 30oz of water to make sure I’m hydrated. Not sure what gives?

Only thing I can think is that I use a lot of artificial sweeteners. Stevia, sucralose, aspartame etc with things like Splenda or Mios… I’ll put them in my coffee, in my protein shakes, in my water. I’ll drink diet sodas too. I don’t use these before I take my fasted BG, but they are a regular part of my diet. Anyone have any luck pulling them back and improving BG?
Google the dawn phenomenon. Not certain that's what you're experiencing but it does sound like it. What's your HbA1c?

As far as artificial sweeteners, I think there are a couple of them that can cause a modest elevation in bg because they have some calorie content. But I've read that many can lower bg in the right circumstances as well. Essentially, they can cause a cephalic insulin response and without the introduction of any sugar to the bloodstream the insulin will do what it does and lower your current bg. This is obviously temporary though.

Google the dawn phenomenon. Not certain that's what you're experiencing but it does sound like it. What's your HbA1c?

As far as artificial sweeteners, I think there are a couple of them that can cause a modest elevation in bg because they have some calorie content. But I've read that many can lower bg in the right circumstances as well. Essentially, they can cause a cephalic insulin response and without the introduction of any sugar to the bloodstream the insulin will do what it does and lower your current bg. This is obviously temporary though.
My last Hemoglobin A1c was 5.1, so normal. Not to mention this was before I was on metformin too.

The only way you're gonna know is to try dropping them. The trick may be in being able to drop them AND not make other big dietary changes that are going to independently effect the number.
Personally, I use a fair amount of artificial sweeteners (although not the cornucopia you profess to), and have used GH at 2 IUs for almost 6 months and still have my morning number under 100 or right at it.

Logically…

1- Pure sweeteners should not increase blood sugar. “Mixed” sweeteners will. Baking Splenda has maltodextrin, I think about 24g per half cup or 1 cup? If so, you’re consuming carbs here. The packets have maltodextrin as well, but such a small amount that it mathematically couldn’t be responsible for any noticeable elevation.

2- If you aren’t consuming maltodextrin or carbohydrate based fillers, the sugar in your blood would have to “come from somewhere”. There’s no evidence to that links glucose to be released from glycogen or formed through gluconeogenesis. Even if you experienced gluconeogenesis, the sugars would be immediately used and out of your blood.

3- Stevia is not aspartame, and neither are splenda. You can’t expect 3 completely different sweeteners to behave the same way.

4- If artificial sweeteners did raise BG enough to be noticeable, it would be an enormous liability with diabetics.

Logically…

1- Pure sweeteners should not increase blood sugar. “Mixed” sweeteners will. Baking Splenda has maltodextrin, I think about 24g per half cup or 1 cup? If so, you’re consuming carbs here. The packets have maltodextrin as well, but such a small amount that it mathematically couldn’t be responsible for any noticeable elevation.

2- If you aren’t consuming maltodextrin or carbohydrate based fillers, the sugar in your blood would have to “come from somewhere”. There’s no evidence to that links glucose to be released from glycogen or formed through gluconeogenesis. Even if you experienced gluconeogenesis, the sugars would be immediately used and out of your blood.

3- Stevia is not aspartame, and neither are splenda. You can’t expect 3 completely different sweeteners to behave the same way.

4- If artificial sweeteners did raise BG enough to be noticeable, it would be an enormous liability with diabetics.
All great points! Thanks.

Not sure what my issue is then

Hows your sleep lately? Stress at work? High cortisone will increase blood glucose.

These artificial sweeter have been around for very long nor studied a ton. I would think using larger amounts might have an effect you are talking about.

If u are on metformin, there is literally 0 chance you’re getting these high readings because u like 2 Splendas in your coffee.
It’s something else I promise.

As another poster mentioned, artificial sweeteners, even the single packets, contains maltodextrin; close to a gram a pack IIR. If you're like me, I use 3-5 packets so that's close to 5 grams of carbs.

If you use creamers, those add carbs as well.

I have seen one study that showed the body can react to artificial sweeteners the same a sugar. Can't remember which one or ones they were. Have you calibrated your monitor recently to make sure it is accurate?

I have seen one study that showed the body can react to artificial sweeteners the same a sugar. Can't remember which one or ones they were. Have you calibrated your monitor recently to make sure it is accurate?
I just got a new one. I think my monitor was messed up.

Logically…

Thank you posting this ^^^ as you can see the first few that responded to this thread were like "yea it could be the artificial sweeteners"... LOL
GOOD GOD could you imagine the massive lawsuits from diabetics all around the world? Layne Norton has spoken on this plenty of times and posted numerous studies.

These artificial sweeter have been around for very long nor studied a ton. I would think using larger amounts might have an effect you are talking about.
Are you saying they have not been around a long time? They've been around for 40-50 years and studied a metric crap ton. Generally for safety and "toxicity". The latest topic about them affecting gut bacteria seems unresolved for the moment. So I need to withhold judgment on whether they can and to what (if any) detriment.

But unless you're talking about some of the sugar alcohols (which have some calorie content) or packets of sweeteners (which use sugar as filler) the rest have no calories to contribute.

Are you saying they have not been around a long time? They've been around for 40-50 years and studied a metric crap ton. Generally for safety and "toxicity". The latest topic about them affecting gut bacteria seems unresolved for the moment. So I need to withhold judgment on whether they can and to what (if any) detriment.

But unless you're talking about some of the sugar alcohols (which have some calorie content) or packets of sweeteners (which use sugar as filler) the rest have no calories to contribute.
I meant to say Not. But I really have no clue. I didn't realize they were studied a great deal. I'm just not keen on artificial sweeteners.

I meant to say Not. But I really have no clue. I didn't realize they were studied a great deal. I'm just not keen on artificial sweeteners.
And that's cool. Yeah there have been plenty studies upon them. There are newer ones that have been developed in the last 20 years, but they've been in pretty widespread use as a group since the 1970's.

I still don't understand why/what has transpired over time but almost as a rule people don't inherently trust the idea of a safe, calorie free, sweet tasting chemical. I always hear from someone that they're the cause of something. My co-worker's wife says they're the cause of a flu I caught a few years ago. Someone tells my dad the sugar subs he drinks in his coffee are the cause of diverticulitis that put him in the hospital. A software programmer that's working with me on a project (who is 40 lbs overweight) tells me "that shit'll kill ya" when he sees me drinking a diet coke. Etc.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ThirdLegery Gregory
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws