over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study on fasted lifting

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered

Curious to what people think about this? I know training fasted isn't "optimal" but alot of people still do it with success due to work schedule, they don't like the feeling of a full stomach, or whatever reason. I typically train after a large p+c meal but dis a couple workouts fasted and definitely felt more focused and like I had a better pump. These were my volume days obviously if I did a heavy day, and the study shows, probably going to lift less. But it didn't show any less gains when training fasted...and of course studies don't tell all, but looking up old threads alot of people report gaining just fine when training fasted.

Just curious people's current thoughts ran across this when looking on YouTube. Obviously if someone is training fasted a fast digested p+c meal after is a good idea. I've heard of people training fasted and using tne or drol pre, then some r type slin with the post large p+c meal to shuttle things into the muscles now that they are depleted.

I’ve trained semi fasted for years. I hate lifting after a few meals.

Wake up, a little GH, coffee and Copenhagen. At the gym 20g EAAs and GO!

If there’s insulin pre workout, I’ll add carbs intra

In my opinion, training fasted and having a full day of eat ahead is better that training late at night and only having one meal, then fasting for 8 hours

Curious to what people think about this? I know training fasted isn't "optimal" but alot of people still do it with success due to work schedule, they don't like the feeling of a full stomach, or whatever reason. I typically train after a large p+c meal but dis a couple workouts fasted and definitely felt more focused and like I had a better pump. These were my volume days obviously if I did a heavy day, and the study shows, probably going to lift less. But it didn't show any less gains when training fasted...and of course studies don't tell all, but looking up old threads alot of people report gaining just fine when training fasted.

Just curious people's current thoughts ran across this when looking on YouTube. Obviously if someone is training fasted a fast digested p+c meal after is a good idea. I've heard of people training fasted and using tne or drol pre, then some r type slin with the post large p+c meal to shuttle things into the muscles now that they are depleted.

Personally prefer fasted training. Like someone else said, better focus and drive (likely from the higher adrenaline levels; IE fight or flight mode instead of "rest and digest" after you eat). I do take a big scoop of BCAA before training. Def helps with performance for me as well (BCAA blocks tryptophan/serotonin so you don't fatigue as easily)

There is some research that fasted training upregulates your production of glycogen as a compensatory mechanism.

I just do it cause it feels natural to me. I always make sure i am glycogen repleted the day of my training (lots of carbs day before). Maximum pump and muscle endurance/performance that way. I know for some people, fasted training feels weird at first and they may be weaker until they adjust or their genetics might just not prefer it.

I don’t train fasted but I generally only consume 100-200 calories from a Greek yogurt or a Greek yogurt and a banana before training first thing in the morning. Never had any issues doing that. I hate the feeling of working out on a full stomach and eating a full meal 30-45 min before lifting just wouldn’t sit right with me. With that said, I do eat immediately after as soon as I get home which is less than a 10 min drive. So from last set to the time I’m eating is prob about 20-30min tops

In my opinion, training fasted and having a full day of eat ahead is better that training late at night and only having one meal, then fasting for 8 hours
This is a good point. I'd think people who train to beat the log book may be worse off but people who are more into volume training, within reason, would be fine. The only thing I'd wonder, people who usually advocate volume or light weight higher reps stress the importance of the pump. For me it's just as good fasted as long as I have water and some sodium. But they also say "pumping nutrient rich blood to the muscle is anabolic"...Milos, Piana. Would pumping blood period, fasted so no nutrients or cho/aminos, still benefit in the same way as "nutrient rich blood"? Lol

^^^^

Above is so true.

Training fasted does not mean without adequate hydration and electrolytes

Personally prefer fasted training. Like someone else said, better focus and drive (likely from the higher adrenaline levels; IE fight or flight mode instead of "rest and digest" after you eat). I do take a big scoop of BCAA before training. Def helps with performance for me as well (BCAA blocks tryptophan/serotonin so you don't fatigue as easily)

There is some research that fasted training upregulates your production of glycogen as a compensatory mechanism.

I just do it cause it feels natural to me. I always make sure i am glycogen repleted the day of my training (lots of carbs day before). Maximum pump and muscle endurance/performance that way. I know for some people, fasted training feels weird at first and they may be weaker until they adjust or their genetics might just not prefer it.
Exactly, trying to "optimize" all variables only goes as far as the individual can put in. Meaning it may be more optimal for growth to train ged, but if training ged makes you feel like shit or disrupts other requirements of your lifestyle then you are going to get the most out of your training and it won't actually be more optimal. That said, I do believe that if someone was all in, and building as much strength and size as possible and as fast as possible ged > gasted. Maybe you can get by with EAA + Whey + KArbolyn as an intra...

I always set 2-3 hours no food pre gym I don’t like the food pulling blood from my muscles or that it’s slows whatever I’m drinking from working fast , even water.

You’re not going to be as strong fasted. But if youv been doing this long enough you’ll know you don’t need to shit your pants every time your train to make gains. I load up on salt and bcaas and am drinking Gatorade zero all night in bed. Dehydrated is not good. Bottomed out electrolytes are not productive either. But I won’t even drink coffee before I train.

Iv been training every morning fasted at 3am. It works just fine. Burns fat and grows muscle. Even when I’m bulking I do it because I have to train because I have to train before work. If you guys don’t want to do cardio try this. I think it’s perfect.
But I won’t even drink coffee before I train.
3am and no coffee, damn, now that's inspiring! I don't know how you do it, but you're making me feel like shit. I should be getting to the gym every morning by 5am to get a workout in before work, fasted I should say, but I don't always make it. But there is no way I can pull it off without my morning coffee.

3am and no coffee, damn, now that's inspiring! I don't know how you do it, but you're making me feel like shit. I should be getting to the gym every morning by 5am to get a workout in before work, fasted I should say, but I don't always make it. But there is no way I can pull it off without my morning coffee.
No reason for you to be feeling like shit. I’m a logger my friend Iv been getting up between 230 and 3 am most of my life for a 1-3 hour commute to the woods and am too wore out after work to train. Iv adapted. Don’t get me wrong I’m 52 and it’s not as easy as it used to be. But I love what I do and after 30 years plus of this all I’m still passionate about my job and training. I’m kind of an anomaly so don’t feel bad. I cut coffe out of the equation 6 years ago after my Gaul bladder was taken out cause the coffe fucks w my gut to much or I’d still be drinking it. If you’re going to drink it just drink it w I sugar or cream just go black and it’s damn near fasted. And bro im
A real life vampire and require just a few hours of sleep. I wish I could sleep more but it’s just not in the cards for me so my recovery is not near what it should be and I rely more on food and gear for recovery but it seems to work for me. Age is creeping up on me things could go south at any time. But I do my Best to pretend I’m still young lol

If by training fasted you mean no consuiming any calories then I've never done that ina very long time and when i did i ended up with a headache half way through training.
But if you mean just training before any meals then absolutely. Like others have stated i actually feel better training withna totally empty stomach and bowels but ill still have my Intra-workout shake with carbs , EAA.
The only time i noticed my strength or endurance wasn't as good was if i was dieting hard but even then the evening workout were suffering

No reason for you to be feeling like shit. I’m a logger my friend Iv been getting up between 230 and 3 am most of my life for a 1-3 hour commute to the woods and am too wore out after work to train. Iv adapted. Don’t get me wrong I’m 52 and it’s not as easy as it used to be. But I love what I do and after 30 years plus of this all I’m still passionate about my job and training. I’m kind of an anomaly so don’t feel bad. I cut coffe out of the equation 6 years ago after my Gaul bladder was taken out cause the coffe fucks w my gut to much or I’d still be drinking it. If you’re going to drink it just drink it w I sugar or cream just go black and it’s damn near fasted. And bro im
A real life vampire and require just a few hours of sleep. I wish I could sleep more but it’s just not in the cards for me so my recovery is not near what it should be and I rely more on food and gear for recovery but it seems to work for me. Age is creeping up on me things could go south at any time. But I do my Best to pretend I’m still young lol
Yeah, I get it my friend. I have a friend in town that owns his own logging business, and you never see him. He used to compete in strongman competitions and train regularly, now he just works long days day after day. I'm in the mining industry, and I average 11-12 hour days. If I don't get to the gym before work, I usually won't get a workout in for the day, same thing, to worn out by the end of the day. I'm 53, so my story is similar, but these couple of posts of yours are definitely inspiring, and kicks me in the pants to quit whining and just make the commitment to get ur done, cheers
Ranchhand

Yeah, I get it my friend. I have a friend in town that owns his own logging business, and you never see him. He used to compete in strongman competitions and train regularly, now he just works long days day after day. I'm in the mining industry, and I average 11-12 hour days. If I don't get to the gym before work, I usually won't get a workout in for the day, same thing, to worn out by the end of the day. I'm 53, so my story is similar, but these couple of posts of yours are definitely inspiring, and kicks me in the pants to quit whining and just make the commitment to get ur done, cheers
Ranchhand
You take care of yourself out there bud. Coming home every night is what’s most important. You have a good weekend!

Zero big bodybuilders do fasted weight training.
Very good point 👍🏿

I train fasted everyday but I'm not trying to grow, just hopefully maintain what I have as best I can. If I was trying to grow and be the biggest version of myself then I would train in the evening after getting a few meals in.

Zero big bodybuilders do fasted weight training.
I agree they probably don’t. But I’m not big nor am I a bodybuilder. But Iv put 60-70 lbs on my frame over the years doing it so it definitely works to some degree. I’m about to leave the woods and start a dept of corrections gig primarily so I can train at night after Iv eaten a bunch of food during the day so I can start growing again to compete.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws