over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Adding calesthenics to bodybuilding

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Posted this here as I'm a newbie to bodyweight exercises and don't think this would be received well by a few in the general forum lol.

Being close to 40, looking to just look good and lean year round, considering adding some calesthenics to my routine. I've been 🤔 about it for a few reasons

1. Some of these guys look great. Not bodybuilding great, but balanced, strong, lean. Surprisingly the dudes at my gym who do them don't have lagging arms or delts like alot of bigger guys

2. Shit is simple, hell inmates do them and many look great. I like simple shit as I tend to overcomplicates and guess minute shit (bro split, no torso limbs, high reps, no low reps...etc).

I was thinking about the best appropriate for my goals. Since I really enjoy training arms and delts and those are my priority parts was thinking give them each one day a week like a bro split. Then hit the calesthenics 2x a week for chest, back, abs, legs.

Something like

Calesthenics full body
Off cardio
Delts day
Off cardio
Calesthenics full body
Arms day
Off cardio

So basically 2 full body and 2 days weights. Cardio on off days.

Anyone have feedback? Has anyone switched from pure weights to more calesthenics type stuff?

I am older than you by a lot. Depending on the movement being done i would find it questionable as to its's benifits. And there is no way to know what anyone on the internet is doing past what they show in their vids. And diet plays a far bigger role in looking good for most. Anything involving bouncing on my joints or doing burpees etc is out for me. As it is not worth the impact for me. If you are talking pushups, pull ups , 1 legged squats etc then i can see where that has a benefit, it is just moving a weight same as odybuilding in general. I am doing whole body workouts every other day these days. Gym workouts are as simple or as intricate as you want them to be from my experience.

I done something similar and it does work. I bought a program from Steve Weatherford and it worked great. He incorporates a few calesthenics into the workouts and its great for losing body fat. Not great for putting on muscle but will help shed some pounds. Good luck

If your training for the year is made up three four five different routines you could make it one.

Trying it for a month can’t hurt

Best of luck to you, hope you enjoy it.

Every time I've attempted to add something different to my training in the last few years it has usually resulted in an injury. Whether it's running, biking or whatever. So these days I've doubled down on the weights/cardio instead.

Every time I've attempted to add something different to my training in the last few years it has usually resulted in an injury. Whether it's running, biking or whatever. So these days I've doubled down on the weights/cardio instead.
I rediscovered hiking. Everything else and body parts start falling off like an old car

Thanks for replies. I think it'll be good change for a few reasons

1. I'm not in a surplus not looking to gain...so in theory there are no gains to be had only maintaining my size...so why not try something new now

2. Won't be waiting for equipment which is a big problem at all my gyms. In and out quicker...less stress... more sleep...

3. Even though I'm not in a surplus , maybe there are some "newbie gains" to be had since this is a new stimulus. Strengths gains on chins, pull-ups, dips, hand stand pushup etc. maybe those newbie gains lead to something not holding my breath

4. This shit is the same as weights, 100s of influencers with 100s of debates on what is best. I picked 1 guy k boges on YouTube to follow. Has a backgrounds in weights, looks fit, keeps shit simple, doesn't try and promote calesthenics as superior to weights.

Split will be 1 push, 1 pull, 1 legs Ed
2 rounds circuit

Chins, inverted rows, pullups, dips, close grip pushups, pause pushups, hand stand pushups, toes to bar, etc.

Then each day perform 1 accessory after. So Tris, bis, delts, etc. so one day may be..

Chinups to failure
Dips to failure
Pistol squats to failure
Toes to bar to failure
(Repeat circuit 2-3x)
Tricep extension 2x triple drop sets

30-40 minutes Ed

I was leaning heavily on running for cardio. I love it. But I think I put more wear and tear on my body. Specifically knees. So now I'm doing 1hr stair sessions.
I still run, but my primary cardio is stairs these days.
Ill be doing some beach runs here soon. So I'm excited to hit 6-10milers on those days.

Thanks for replies. I think it'll be good change for a few reasons

1. I'm not in a surplus not looking to gain...so in theory there are no gains to be had only maintaining my size...so why not try something new now

2. Won't be waiting for equipment which is a big problem at all my gyms. In and out quicker...less stress... more sleep...

3. Even though I'm not in a surplus , maybe there are some "newbie gains" to be had since this is a new stimulus. Strengths gains on chins, pull-ups, dips, hand stand pushup etc. maybe those newbie gains lead to something not holding my breath

4. This shit is the same as weights, 100s of influencers with 100s of debates on what is best. I picked 1 guy k boges on YouTube to follow. Has a backgrounds in weights, looks fit, keeps shit simple, doesn't try and promote calesthenics as superior to weights.

Split will be 1 push, 1 pull, 1 legs Ed
2 rounds circuit

Chins, inverted rows, pullups, dips, close grip pushups, pause pushups, hand stand pushups, toes to bar, etc.

Then each day perform 1 accessory after. So Tris, bis, delts, etc. so one day may be..

Chinups to failure
Dips to failure
Pistol squats to failure
Toes to bar to failure
(Repeat circuit 2-3x)
Tricep extension 2x triple drop sets

30-40 minutes Ed
I like this workout. Haven't tried it, but Im always up for trying something new and challenging myself.
Some of the hardest punchers that I spar against are 'fresh off the yard' guys who can do a million burpees. But couldn't hit 2 bench press reps of 135lbs.
Id wager you'll come out much stronger and probably have a better(or improved upon) physique. Keep us posted for sure

I rediscovered hiking. Everything else and body parts start falling off like an old car
Any type of movement is good. Of course sitting down and relaxing is also good. But just getting out and doing something is always refreshing.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131