mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chiropractic Manipulation of Neck: Stroke Risk?

machomadness22

Registered
I suggest everyone read this article. I would be really interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I know a lot of guys in the sport of just weightlifters in general go to chiropractors. I myself have only been one time and was looking to get adjusted again but I saw this and I thought I would ask the guys here on PM. What does everyone think?

Could Chiropractic Manipulation of Your Neck Trigger a Stroke? ? WebMD

and from what i read years ago Jim Quinn(for you older guys) got his neck broke from a chiropractic adjustment. from what i understand it can happen but the odds of breaking your neck from a car wreck is greater.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it.

It does make some sense that there is a connection but I think that this is a key paragraph:

"Neck manipulation is associated with about one death per 1 million people due to cervical artery dissection, he said.

By comparison, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) cause 153 stroke deaths per 1 million people, narcotic medications cause 53 stroke deaths per 1 million people, and spinal surgery of the neck causes 500 stroke deaths per 1 million people, Overland said."

In addition, I believe that there are a fair amount of deaths due to tylenol (Acetaminophen) use every year.

Therefore, although I haven't read any of the studies, it sounds like the probability is fairly low and most likely affects people who may have a predisposition (e.g., elderly) for a neck artery tear.

Just my initial thoughts...

More like one in 11 million . . . the original study, done by hating MD's, (since their greatest orthopedist James Cyriax advocated adjustments, as do Osteopaths) clearly states the the adjustments were done in an extension move in people with high blood pressure. They later declared the incident of a stroke is the same as walking into an MD's office. . . go figure, Its all about scaring the people away from drugs and surgery.

Yeah its an interesting thought. I'm not trying to bash on any chiropractors or say we shouldn't use chiropractors. Just kind of curious what people thought of them, not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Please tell me you got that quote from the movie "The Girl Next Door". I love that quote....and the movie.

My good friend is a chiropractor and has been for many years.
I get adjusted once a week, been doing this for years.
Now my take on chiropractors, does it help? I don't know , i cant say it helped as, as soon i walk out from the clinic and move i feel like everything adjusts back where it was before.

I get treatments for free, if i need to pay i dont think i would go to chiro.

just my 0.2

More like one in 11 million . . . the original study, done by hating MD's, (since their greatest orthopedist James Cyriax advocated adjustments, as do Osteopaths) clearly states the the adjustments were done in an extension move in people with high blood pressure. They later declared the incident of a stroke is the same as walking into an MD's office. . . go figure, Its all about scaring the people away from drugs and surgery.

You know what, this was a thought that came to mind when I read the article.

It does seem like a PR stunt to discredit chiropractic type work.

We just talked about this in Chiro school.

VBA stroke is a very rare event in the population. The increased risks of VBA stroke associated with chiropractic and PCP visits is likely due to patients with headache and neck pain from VBA dissection seeking care before their stroke. We found no evidence of excess risk of VBA stroke associated chiropractic care compared to primary care.

Risk of Vertebrobasilar Stroke and Chiropractic Care

Risk of Vertebrobasilar Stroke and Chiropractic Care
Cassidy, et. Al.
Spine Volume 33, Number 45, pp 5176-5183

Last edited:
I've always felt like I needed chiropractic care since massage therapy didn't cure me. I've been using an inversion board lately with great results and no longer feel like I need the doc.

I suggest everyone read this article. I would be really interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I know a lot of guys in the sport of just weightlifters in general go to chiropractors. I myself have only been one time and was looking to get adjusted again but I saw this and I thought I would ask the guys here on PM. What does everyone think?

Could Chiropractic Manipulation of Your Neck Trigger a Stroke? ? WebMD

I think the key is too work with a good well trained chiropractor.
I myself have been dramatically helped with a neck injury after
a serious car accident years ago. Traditional doctors couldn't do
anything to help me,,,the chiropractor found the root of my problem
an treated it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
theswede
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner