over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you count all your protein sources? Diet debate

rotinaj

Registered
Newbies
This is largely for the high carb guys.

The example:
- pretend you have 220lb of lean mass and eat 4500 calories to maintain your weight.
-You aim to get 1g protein per pound of lean mass.. that’s only 880 calories.
- Let’s say half your lean mass in fats, 110g 990~ calories.
- That leaves 2630 calories for your carbs or 656g~

Now the debate:
- Assume you eat 400g(dry) of jasmine rice.. that has roughly 27g of protein from rice and only meets half your carb goal.
- You could even be fancy and cook it in bone broth as many people do which adds another 16-20g of protein… from collagen.

So while attempting to eat enough carbs you can secondarily consume >25% of your protein requirement from crappy incomplete sources easily. Do you factor this in?

A calorie is a calorie so everything must be accounted for weight management.

Obviously compete protein sources with strong amino acid profiles will be better utilized, so do you adhere to only tracking those toward your daily goal, or do you account for all protein?

Never. I only count complete sources. My protein is strictly meat, egg whites and high quality mixed protein powder. As a rule with Justin Harris (who coaches me), I don’t even count mixed sources of anything. Oatmeal, rice, potato, fruit…only carbs. PB, avocado, nuts…only fats. So even when it says I’m eating 5-6k a day, the super accurate correct calculations is much more than that. As long as you are staying super consistent it doesn’t matter though.

I’m definitely not a high carb guy but I’ll chime in anyway. If you’re asking do we count all the sources of protein no matter where they come from then yes I do. If I know what protein content something has then I count it. For example, I’m a low carb guy but I do eat bread occasionally and I know it has some protein in it. So that would definitely get counted. I just try to get most of it from better sources. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of fish for my main source of protein.

I've always counted totals from all macros. Contest dieting or not

I also want to add that I eat low carb for two reasons. One, it keeps me lean! Two, I’ve seen a lot of research that points to high carb diets being the main cause of heart disease.

Here’s my appeal to authority reasoning for counting all macros from all foods consumed - Justin Compton said he did that and my first coach Jason Theobald used that approach as well.

Doesn’t really matter as long as it’s done consistently though as stated above.

Ok here’s the real question now that we’ve done trace macros and cooked vs raw - how do you track the little bit of oil that leaks out when you pin sometimes?!?

Here’s my appeal to authority reasoning for counting all macros from all foods consumed - Justin Compton said he did that and my first coach Jason Theobald used that approach as well.

Ok here’s the real question now that we’ve done trace macros and cooked vs raw - how do you track the little bit of oil that leaks out when you pin sometimes?!?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 😂

Do you actually track the oil that you inject in your macros?

I also want to add that I eat low carb for two reasons. One, it keeps me lean! Two, I’ve seen a lot of research that points to high carb diets being the main cause of heart disease.
Careful now!
Was it the high carb diet or was it insulin resistance?
Was it the high carb diet or was it a high carb diet of highly processed shit along side seed oil consumption.
Was it the high carb diet or was it...fill in the blank?

Bodybuilders that have high muscle mass and exercise regularly aren't going to get heart disease from high carb diets (with how we eat)...GTFOH!

Careful now!
Was it the high carb diet or was it insulin resistance?
Was it the high carb diet or was it a high carb diet of highly processed shit along side seed oil consumption.
Was it the high carb diet or was it...fill in the blank?

Bodybuilders that have high muscle mass and exercise regularly aren't going to get heart disease from high carb diets (with how we eat)...GTFOH!
I’m just gonna say, I’ll stick with what I believe and you can do your thing. There’s a study out there for anything and everything when it comes to this topic. I definitely hit some carbs when I’m stuck and it helps a lot with strength and size. There’s no doubt about that. I just back off of them quickly. I really do believe that a high carb diet is one of the main causes of heart disease. Everyone has there own opinion and that’s mine. 😬

Lmao no I’m kidding man the whole last paragraph was sarcasm.
Yeah I wondered. I know there are some guys here that shoot quite a bit of oil into their muscles each week. Add the guys that use SEOs also and the amount of oil can be quite a bit. I’ve always wondered how our body processes that calorie wise, if it does at all.

I’m definitely not a high carb guy but I’ll chime in anyway. If you’re asking do we count all the sources of protein no matter where they come from then yes I do. If I know what protein content something has then I count it. For example, I’m a low carb guy but I do eat bread occasionally and I know it has some protein in it. So that would definitely get counted. I just try to get most of it from better sources. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of fish for my main source of protein.
What’s low carb for you? How many a day?

Do you fill the void with fats?

I’m just gonna say, I’ll stick with what I believe and you can do your thing. There’s a study out there for anything and everything when it comes to this topic. I definitely hit some carbs when I’m stuck and it helps a lot with strength and size. There’s no doubt about that. I just back off of them quickly. I really do believe that a high carb diet is one of the main causes of heart disease. Everyone has there own opinion and that’s mine. 😬
I'm a keto fan (makes me feel good)
And I totally agree with you about there is a fucking study to say what ever the fuck you want
So all I ask is for you to use some basic human being common sense....
If we have twin 350lb obese male twins and we put both on a 1500 calorie deficit one using a higher fat content and one using a high carb diet and they both lose 150 lbs is the twin that ate the higher carb diet at more risk of heart disease than the other twin?

I just double the doses to make up for the leaking 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

What’s low carb for you? How many a day?

Do you fill the void with fats?
I don’t keep track of the carbs as well as I do proteins. It’s more about just the type of foods that I eat. I don’t count calories at all and basically just plan out 5 meals for the day. I would say most days I eat less than 100g a day of carbs. Honestly, I can eat the same shit everyday and not get sick of it. Which to some people seems really weird. It does make meal prepping a lot easier though 🤪. For the last few months my two snack meals have been sardines and tuna! They got these really awesome tuna packs now with flavoring that I love. For the sardines I like the ones packed in olive oil.

I don’t want to hijack the OPs thread and this is getting a little off his topic.

I just double the doses to make up for the leaking 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
I like it. Also what I do if I think I may have forgotten to take my orals or injection that day. Just take it again.

Over load it😄

Edit. Should have read all the answers lol

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear