over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Road to the Lexen Summer Slam [Power Lifting]

Are you doing any certain type of therapy for your bicep strain? Currently experiencing it myself from heavy squats/bench.

That's pretty much par for the course especially if you're low bar squatting.

I've dealt with this quite a bit. These are some things I do to minimize it/keep it at bay:

Hammer shoulder mobility, loosen up the pecs, and staying vigilant with ART/massage therapy have worked to combat that arm pain. You want to have them get into the infraspinatus and supraspinatus because that's where it originates from imo.

I try and keep my bar position slightly higher in training as well. Then move it down slightly as I approach a meet. I find this helps save my arms.

I also try and not use a squat bar in training. The added thickness makes it worse.

Are you squatting/benching back to back days?

Powerlifting is something I've never bothered to follow/study.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Seems interesting.

You look great btw! Thick!

Powerlifting is something I've never bothered to follow/study.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Seems interesting.

You look great btw! Thick!

I feel like PL is often overlooked. When there are so many people that would love the sport... but everyone wants to be a bodybuilder lol :)

I feel like PL is often overlooked. When there are so many people that would love the sport... but everyone wants to be a bodybuilder lol :)

I've been to quite a few bb shows and many Pl meets, and the vibe is just so much better at Pl meets. Even among the people speciating.

Other than maybe the occasional douche there's no real egos. People cheer each other on, help each other, warm up together etc.

I have friends who were competitive bodybuilders, came to a meet to spectate and then wanted to compete in Pl because of how intoxicating the environment was.

I think the current push back towards raw lifting, and people being in better shape than the traditional/stereotypical fat powerlifter is making the sport more appealing to the masses. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing though lol.

Last edited:
I've been to quite a few bb shows and many Pl meets, and the vibe is just so much better at Pl meets. Even among the people speciating.

Other than maybe the occasional douche there's no real egos. People cheer each other on, help each other, warm up together etc.

I have friends who were competitive bodybuilders, came to a meet to spectate and then wanted to compete in Pl because of how intoxicating the environment was.

I think the current push back towards raw lifting, and people being in better shape than the traditional/stereotypical fat powerlifter is making the sport more appealing to the masses. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing though lol.

SO true, PL events are very friendly. Highly competitive but very friendly and supportive. I think this comes from the dangerous nature of the sport. No one really wants to see a brother hurt so everyone is very helpful and supportive in the warmup rooms and when it comes to the platform.

I also agree, people have a huge misconception of powerlifting and the association with the "fat guy." Some of the best power lifters are jacked as hell, and if you go to a meet sure there are fat guys (most fat guys are strong) but there are also some very lean monsters running around smashing weights.

Makes me sad the sport takes a back seat to bodybuilding when there is so much potential. Sure guys say "they don't care" in the forums and whatnot but whats the first questions that come up: What do you bench? whats your squat?
Yeah... Strength matters and you can pretend all you want that you're happy in that smith machine or doing leg presses... but come on!

SO true, PL events are very friendly. Highly competitive but very friendly and supportive.

This is one of the things that I like most. I am highly competitive, but at the core, PL is an individual sport. I am in competition with myself first and foremost.

So I have my own goals for the meet, and all I can do is do my best to hit those goals, and hope that puts me on top of the podium.

I actually competed this past weekend and not once looked or cared what any of my class was doing. I didn't pick attempts based on them, etc. I just did what I trained for, and set out to do, and won my class derisively(100+lb over the 2nd place).

This is one of the things that I like most. I am highly competitive, but at the core, PL is an individual sport. I am in competition with myself first and foremost.

So I have my own goals for the meet, and all I can do is do my best to hit those goals, and hope that puts me on top of the podium.

I actually competed this past weekend and not once looked or cared what any of my class was doing. I didn't pick attempts based on them, etc. I just did what I trained for, and set out to do, and won my class derisively(100+lb over the 2nd place).

Nice
You raw or a multiply guy ?

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

Gotcha im a raw modern guy RPS
So knee wraps
After I bench 500 im gonna do some single ply work for bench only

Speaking of which a guy just shot me a PM and said I should be benching 750+ in a shirt because his buddy does.

He didn't mention if it was single or multiply but really doesn't matter
People seem to forget the amount of training that goes into being able to lift in gear. It isn't as easy as just throwing on a shirt and benching 200lbs more

Gotcha im a raw modern guy RPS
So knee wraps
After I bench 500 im gonna do some single ply work for bench only

Speaking of which a guy just shot me a PM and said I should be benching 750+ in a shirt because his buddy does.

He didn't mention if it was single or multiply but really doesn't matter
People seem to forget the amount of training that goes into being able to lift in gear. It isn't as easy as just throwing on a shirt and benching 200lbs more

Yea, geared lifting is a skill for sure. You don't just put on a shirt, and magically get 300lb..heh

How do you like RPS? I have heard Gene Rychlak puts on a decent meet.

I have never done an RPS meet, so have no first hand experience. I have seen some extremely generous calls from some videos, but will say from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem as commonplace as SPF for example.

USPA is VERY strict(walked out squats, have to be very deep to pass, start command on bench, long press calls, etc). That is why a lot of people avoid it, and hide in some of these other feds(SPF,UPA,etc) that let anything pass. I have seen numerous people come there from other feds and bomb out.

Last edited:
Yea, geared lifting is a skill for sure. You don't just put on a shirt, and magically get 300lb..heh

How do you like RPS? I have heard Gene Rychlak puts on a decent meet.

I have never done an RPS meet, so have no first hand experience. I have seen some extremely generous calls from some videos, but will say from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem as commonplace as SPF for example.

USPA is VERY strict(walked out squats, have to be very deep to pass, start command on bench, long press calls, etc). That is why a lot of people avoid it, and hide in some of these other feds(SPF,UPA,etc) that let anything pass. I have seen numerous people come there from other feds and bomb out.

I only have experience with SPF and RPS.
SPF really does put on some good meets. As for the squat calls, yeah it happens I definitely won't disagree.
Heck I almost got DQd for my anger at the judges on how long they made me pause in the hole and hold the bench at the top on my last RPS XXX meet. But, all in all we love them and my Gym (River City Barbell) hosts RPS meets. We have one coming up in April.
April Anarchy « Revolution Powerlifting Meets

I will be doing an RPS meet in June in Columbus.

The best(most fun) meet I ever did was an SPF meet at Supertraining gym. Awesome time.

Jealous
I got my girlfriend lifting if she sticks to it id like to do a meet like that with her and combine a vacation into the deal

That is the way to do it man. My training partner and our wives go along and after the meet we just spend a week where ever we are going. So we did the ST meet, then went to San Fran for the week.

Over the summer we did Nationals in Vegas and stayed there a few days after.

ST would be great for both of you to do, because the guys usually go Saturday, then women on Sunday. So you could handle for her Sunday, without both lifting on the same day.

2 thing, overkill wraps are the best in the game right now, I hope you like those.

2nd on the bench, listen if you want or you don't have to, don't jack the collar of the shirt down for those light sets, that is only making it hard to touch and there is no reason for that going off the board those reps should be fast all day.

Other than that everything looks great, start working that grip out a little too.

2 thing, overkill wraps are the best in the game right now, I hope you like those.

2nd on the bench, listen if you want or you don't have to, don't jack the collar of the shirt down for those light sets, that is only making it hard to touch and there is no reason for that going off the board those reps should be fast all day.

Other than that everything looks great, start working that grip out a little too.

I hear that not bad advice at all

1) Overkill wraps are the bomb, I use them for my heavy benches and for heavy squats

2) My coaches had me jacking the collar down mostly because the shirt is entirely too big. Going to send it back to Titan and have it resized.
It really wasn't hard bringing it down, more just bringing it down to practice the groove which is very very different for me because i'm a RAW lifter not a geared lifter. Essentially I have no clue what I am doing just listening to the cues people are giving me.

I won't be in a shirt much, I have to focus on my raw bench and my goals there but it was definitely fun and humbling getting into it playing around. You are right though and once I get it resized and have it fitted correctly I will practice some more.

The grip will be a slow process, I bench fairly close raw (which won't change) so as I use the gear it'll be a slow and grueling process to bring it out wider. Gotta find my sweet spot.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131