over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Mountain Dog diet - guiding principles

HOW TRUE!!

Cashews are a devil's creation... :eek: :p At least with almonds, you're not tempted to eat one more... and one more... and one more... until you realize it's too late... lol! Not me anyway...

Thank you for this thread and the time/effort you put into to it, mountaindog. What a great read. :)

You are welcome my friend. Honestly, there are tons of things I like about nuts, but I would rather use them offseason and use grass fed beef, whole eggs, salmon, coconut oil, and grass fed butter as my predominant fats pre-contest time..

JM

Mountaindog1 great thread thanks!
question- Is grass fed beef better then grass fed bison? Or would these be interchangable?
I have easy access to both and have been choosing the bison. I am reconsidering now...

Grass-fed bison is excellent. It is very lean. There are times in my diet that require leaner meats to carb up correctly, this would be the time I would use the Bison.

JM

I mix cashews, macadamia nuts, almonds, and walnuts all in one container... I'm the same way with cashews, hard to stop eating.. mixing them helps... just a little bit though :D:rolleyes:

I love your idea of mixing them Shelby. I actually used to do that myself, but I found myself picking out the ones i wanted (usually the cashews...lolol..)

You know what I like most about nuts, probably the selenium in walnuts - great antioxidant...!

JM

Gotta tell ya JM

was dieting with my wife...and I was kinda stuck....after the other thread I got the gfe beef going ...butter, and was using coconut oil....

so adding whole eggs to my egg whites, eating gfe beef about ever two days, having tbs of butter in oats instead of peanut butter and for a snack 3 rice cakes with butter on them instead of pb..and a hand full of macadamias twice a day...I started loosing again...been kinda cool.

Only complaint..concern...JM you are a big fat liar!! that green pasture coco flavored oil is not doable bro wow that is the worst tasting shit I have ever had in my mouf...dude Ive eaten GRUBS and would eat those over my teaspoon of that stuff anyday....so after that is gone I am going caps all the way....

any way great info and some cool stuff that I have learned...relearned and have been having luck with..

thanks..

Gotta tell ya JM

was dieting with my wife...and I was kinda stuck....after the other thread I got the gfe beef going ...butter, and was using coconut oil....

so adding whole eggs to my egg whites, eating gfe beef about ever two days, having tbs of butter in oats instead of peanut butter and for a snack 3 rice cakes with butter on them instead of pb..and a hand full of macadamias twice a day...I started loosing again...been kinda cool.

Only complaint..concern...JM you are a big fat liar!! that green pasture coco flavored oil is not doable bro wow that is the worst tasting shit I have ever had in my mouf...dude Ive eaten GRUBS and would eat those over my teaspoon of that stuff anyday....so after that is gone I am going caps all the way....

any way great info and some cool stuff that I have learned...relearned and have been having luck with..

thanks..

Try the Cinnamon Tingle flavor, I would eat that shit all day if I could.

Gotta tell ya JM

thanks..

Did you have the chocolate flavored high vitamin butter oil/fermented cod liver oil or just the chocolate cream fermented cod liver oil by itself. I actually really like the butter oil/FCLO combo blend, but not the straight FCLO...I accidentally ordered the FCLO once, and it was not very tasty...

JM

Mountain Dog

Just wondering what your take is on refeeds or carb up periods if following a lower carb pre-comp diet, much like one would if eating only grassfed beef, whole eggs, coconut oil, salmon steaks, veges, and 40-50g fructose (from fruit per day to regulate thyroid output.

1. what do you think of timed fruit intake on an oterwise low carb diet fror thyroid support? i do know that fat is burned even with low thyroid during a LOW CARB diet.

2. what do you think of weekly large carb refeed days to offset thyroid and glycopgen levels dropping( and to help the few ensuing days workouts)??

Also guys, the last two weeks ive included 700g grassfed beef per day, 6 whole free rangeorganic eggs from chickens that eat bugs(says on box lol) i cook my steak in 1 tbs coconut oil whgich rocks, and my 6 eggs in 1 tsp coconut oil.. i add sprouted grains, spinach and berries and granny smith apples for appox 50-70g carbs ed. im dieting down from 109kg prob near 20% bf. loosing well but not loosing scale weight too much. also, i train DC and the last week ive started beating the logbook again in most exercises.

very very happy , im trying to find cultured butter, and am thinking of ordering that green pastures fclo/butter oil mix...

QUOTE=mainevent;675678]Hey John...quick update. I have changed NOTHING but added in 2lbs of grass fed beef the past 10 days and my strength (for me) is crazy and im vascular as hell.

At first I thought I was nuts until my training parterns were asking "WTF are you on?". Just wanted to thank you for your help.
damn main im so glad you posted this, now i don't feel like im loosing my mind on this diet, cause that is the EXACT thing i noticed also. I have never been this vascular in my life :eek:[/QUOTE]

Same for me, i am loving this diet, and really loving the workouts JM has me on, its changing fast.....Same q my buddy asked me when he came to my house...WTF is with your forearms dude, they are gonna explode...veiny thick buggers.....
Cant wait to see in 8 months when i hit the stages....
Thanks JM

Update: I wanted to give this eating some time before i critiqued.. I have been eating very close to the mountain dog diet for about 3 weeks so far.. Physically i am in a transition stage since dropping all supplements about a month ago, so my goals are to be healthy and maintain strength and prio muscle gains.. So far i can say without a doubt that my energy levels are great.. No larthagy or carb comas.. Which i relate to a diet more rich in healthy fats and alot less processed carbs.. My strength initially decreased when dropping my supplements, but i have been maintaining my strength over the last couple of weeks..

lol will do but think I am going caps from now on...

also the gfe beef reminds me of venison...

damn main im so glad you posted this, now i don't feel like im loosing my mind on this diet, cause that is the EXACT thing i noticed also. I have never been this vascular in my life :eek:

Same for me, i am loving this diet, and really loving the workouts JM has me on, its changing fast.....Same q my buddy asked me when he came to my house...WTF is with your forearms dude, they are gonna explode...veiny thick buggers.....
Cant wait to see in 8 months when i hit the stages....
Thanks JM[/QUOTE]

You are welcome brother! All the hard work will pay off in the end..

JM

Great thread!

As for the nuts (when offseason), what would you say is the upper limit to which someone could consume before they start to get away from the proper omega 3 to omega 6 balance. Would 1 cup of nuts (almonds, or walnuts) per day be ok? Or is that probably too much? That is 1 cup of nuts total, spread out over maybe 3-4 meals.

Also guys, the last two weeks ive included 700g grassfed beef per day, 6 whole free rangeorganic eggs from chickens that eat bugs(says on box lol) i cook my steak in 1 tbs coconut oil whgich rocks, and my 6 eggs in 1 tsp coconut oil.. i add sprouted grains, spinach and berries and granny smith apples for appox 50-70g carbs ed. im dieting down from 109kg prob near 20% bf. loosing well but not loosing scale weight too much. also, i train DC and the last week ive started beating the logbook again in most exercises.

very very happy , im trying to find cultured butter, and am thinking of ordering that green pastures fclo/butter oil mix...

Excellent! I can't tell you how many people this week have told me they had the best pumps they have had in a while, and their strength is climbing. Rock on.

JM

Just wondering what your take is on refeeds or carb up periods if following a lower carb pre-comp diet, much like one would if eating only grassfed beef, whole eggs, coconut oil, salmon steaks, veges, and 40-50g fructose (from fruit per day to regulate thyroid output.

1. what do you think of timed fruit intake on an oterwise low carb diet fror thyroid support? i do know that fat is burned even with low thyroid during a LOW CARB diet.

2. what do you think of weekly large carb refeed days to offset thyroid and glycopgen levels dropping( and to help the few ensuing days workouts)??

First of all I love fruit taken at the right times..blueberries, strawberries, and others...and second my plans do have days where the meal plan changes more toward carbs, and different protein and fat levels. I do very high volume type workouts, and you wouldn't be able to make it through them for an extended period of time without good carbs.

JM

Great thread!

As for the nuts (when offseason), what would you say is the upper limit to which someone could consume before they start to get away from the proper omega 3 to omega 6 balance. Would 1 cup of nuts (almonds, or walnuts) per day be ok? Or is that probably too much? That is 1 cup of nuts total, spread out over maybe 3-4 meals.

To answer your question one cup of these nuts mixed would not do anything bad to your Omega 3 to 6 ratio.

I believe that walnuts are the best source of Omega 3 there is in terms of nuts...and almonds are predominantly monosaturates..so i can't see any issue with one cup mixed a day of this...I would not however think that the Omega 3 quality is the same in nuts as in fish...remember your body has to convert alpha linolenic acid to EPA then DHA. That said, eat up - 1 cup a day!

JM

Again, please tell us what are the best/favorite ways to prepare eggs (and get the most out of the eggs).

Also what do you do with your ground beef besides make patties?

Im not John but i will tell you how i prepare mine. I have two ways that work about the same. The whites get done and the yolks are barely cooked and not destroyed).

I put my butter in the pan and when it melts, i crack all 6 (For example) in the pan at the same time. I basically cook them as one big "Sunny side up" omlet. The heat is medium/low and the whites all blend together and cook. This looks like one big egg in the pan with 6 yolks. When the whites are done i scramle everything together with a wooden spoon and then remove from the pan and put on my plate. SO the whites are done and the yolks are mixed in and not destroyed by heat. The tastiest eggs i have ever had.

The second way is to seperate the whites and yolks, cook the whites and add the yolks to the pan at the end and scramble together. Same as the above way.

Ok, let me play devil's advocate here and say that maybe the increased vascularity is from less water retention on lower carbs? But I would think frequent high carb days prevents glycogen from dropping too low.

It's just some rationalization on my part since grass-fed beef is unavailable around here (the heat scorches the grass, basically), so maybe some added CLA and omega-3's could compensate for the less optimal lipid profile of grain fed beef?

Do you mainly work with off-season or contest prep, John?

Ok, let me play devil's advocate here and say that maybe the increased vascularity is from less water retention on lower carbs? But I would think frequent high carb days prevents glycogen from dropping too low.

It's just some rationalization on my part since grass-fed beef is unavailable around here (the heat scorches the grass, basically), so maybe some added CLA and omega-3's could compensate for the less optimal lipid profile of grain fed beef?

Do you mainly work with off-season or contest prep, John?

No go on the vascularity theory. None of my guys have lost any weight recently, they have gained it. The only exception may be Brad, but he has maintained weight for the most part, and has been drinking 3 gallons of water a day.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
roydavis474
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws