over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Want to get a puppy

drjay16

Newbies
I have a cat right now but would like a puppy too. I work a lot and will be in medical school soon. How much of a time commitment will a puppy be? Are there any breeds that are easy to train?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cat right now but would like a puppy too. I work a lot and will be in medical school soon. How much of a time commitment will a puppy be? Are there any breeds that are easy to train?

med school and a dog is not a good mix unless you have roomates. a dog is all in how you train it. rescue, dont buy from a breeder. There is no such thing as a easy puppy. Thats like an easy baby.

med school and a dog is not a good mix unless you have roomates. a dog is all in how you train it. rescue, dont buy from a breeder. There is no such thing as a easy puppy. Thats like an easy baby.

Ya I figured it would be maybe too much. Ill probably have to wait until I have more time.

Bro... puppies need to be attended to practically 24 hours a day, if you want to raise and train it properly. If not your gonna have a wild dog on your hands, and since you're gonna be in Med School, time will be an issue.

If you're dead set on getting a dog, get one that is kind of lazy, LOL! Maybe English bulldog, get a FEMALE, because males will mark everything in your house/ I find that females have a better temperment than males growing up.

If time is an issue, do not get a dog that is high energy unless you can keep up with it, or else the dog will be miserable and will act up.

And get it fixed...

Rescue an older dog. They are much easier. Even if you can't give them the perfect home, their alternative is bleak.

Rescue an older dog. They are much easier. Even if you can't give them the perfect home, their alternative is bleak.

Would I need to do much training with an older dog? I've always wanted a dog since I was a kid but my parents would never allow it. So I'm pretty set on getting one.

Would I need to do much training with an older dog? I've always wanted a dog since I was a kid but my parents would never allow it. So I'm pretty set on getting one.

All dogs need to be trained to what you expect of them. The beauty of an older dog is some asshole might have dumped his 2,3,4 yr old trained house broken dog at a shelter so when you rescue it you get one that knows sit, stay, come, and do to its business outside. If you are goiing to get one please rescue. I do boxer rescue, I dont care what type you get. just save yourself some money, headache, and even save a dog by rescuing. Boxers are high energy, bull dogs not so much but more stubborn, each breed is different. Do your research. On one hand being in medschool I say dont do it. its not fair to the dog. on the other hand, if you can rescue one from being PTS I say give it a warm loving home. Do not pick up a dog just to be dropped back off a few weeks later when you realize it wasant a good idea time or money wise.

I'm going to be in med school but my fiancé works a normal job/would be able to spend time with the dog too. I would most def consider a dog from a shelter. For those that work normal jobs, when and how much time do you spend with your dog?

There are so many adult dogs that need a good home first. If your fiance has normal job hours, then my suggestion would be to get a Greyhound which normally sleep 16 -18 hours a day. Very peaceful and almost never bark or shed. They will however need exercising when they are awake.

But I would hold off for right now until you're finished school, so all of the chores that come with a dog are not thrusted upon your fiance.

(just my .02)

I'm going to be in med school but my fiancé works a normal job/would be able to spend time with the dog too. I would most def consider a dog from a shelter. For those that work normal jobs, when and how much time do you spend with your dog?

even crating a dog for 8 hrs can be tough on them. Yes crate them for there own safety. Dogs are mischievous and can hurt them selves. its not mean, its for safety. I lost one due to the other dog knocking down the baby gate during a thunder storm. $5k in vet bills later he didnt make it all because he got out of the room he was in, pulled a bag off the counter, and ate a bottle of pamprin which destroyed his liver. I would have paid $50k to save him its not the money, its protection. If you want to post where you live I would be glad to help you find some good fits. alot of rescues will allow you to enroll to foster. Once they do a home inspection and approve you (making sure you are not an animal abusing, breeding, drug addict) you can foster a dog in need they pull from the shelter. If you find out you love him/her you can adopt. Other wise you take care of them until that dog finds its furever home. Its like a try it before you buy it sale. let me know if you need help. I would be glad to assist in your search as well as making sure you ask yourself the right questions to see if they pet is right for you/ your fiance.

My advice get a puppy after school, if you are impatient get him/her right after finals and enjoy the next 3-4 months and by then they should be use to being by themselves a bit, but not entirely.

your going to med school and you think you'll have time for anything else

HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Forgot to add-- I'm in med school, too, and work part-time at the Med school.

My live-in GF & I have contradicting schedules and that helps. But then again I got my puppy about 3 months before med school while I was at an internship.

He was not happy to spend less time with me, but it's just for a few weeks before I get my schedule under me and my GF is always there with him for the most part.

Our routine is fixed:
Monday & Wednesday:
She works from 7-4(leaves at 6:45, comes back at 4:15)
I have school from 8-10(leave at 7:30, come back at 10:30) and again from 6-8:15(leave at 5:30 and come back at 8:45ish)

I take care of him after she leaves, and again from about 10:30 to about the time I leave. He's home alone maybe 2 or so hours

Tuesday-Thursday:
I work from 6-2(leave at 5:30 come back at 2:30)
I have class from 6-9
She works from 7-4 and comes back at 11:30 till 12:30 for lunch break

Friday:
She works from 8-1
I have class from 8-10 and work from 2-5

He's really not home much at all. I have another dependent to take care of him, etc.

On Saturdays, I work again from about 6-10, but that's not really an issue. We always make him active( he gets about two 30 min walks from me, and she gives him a 30 min walk himself). We take him to dog park 3-5 times a week for about an hour or even two hours. In his spare time, he sleeps. He's tired.

On rare occasions, I do take him to doggy day care(if there is a $20 special or half day special).

My advice; don't get him unless you are as calculated, planned and have all areas covered.

If you're doing the usual 8-3 med school hours, it's not horrible for him, but if he's a new pup and hasn't been with you for a few months...it will be horrible.

Get him in the summer, and plan accordingly for next semester. I work year-round academically so I don't take full loads during semesters(to help pay for this atrocious fucking bill). :banghead:

your going to med school and you think you'll have time for anything else

HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Never said I would have time. I also know the first 2 years are not so bad. I have a lot of friends in med school and its really the third year that gets you

Thanks SL1CED, I'm actually pretty organized with that stuff and my time. How do you balance med school with work? Does that mean you will just be in med school for longer?

Never said I would have time. I also know the first 2 years are not so bad. I have a lot of friends in med school and its really the third year that gets you

Yeah I was in the same boat but changed my mind my senior year. My friends in med school study at least 12hours a day and any free time they try to get a workout or some sleep in. I don't know, I give a lot of love toward animals and I don't know how that would work out unless you are going to study at home which gets pretty boring really fast.

I also thought you worked out (with somewhat of a diet) so that with a dog and med school is really pushing it.

I do workout and diet but I have been doing 5 shakes of micelles casein, oil and fruit for meals, with 1-2 solid meals and it seems to be working for me. I work 90 hours a week now and workout 3 on/1 off at 430 or 5, lowish volume most of the time. I don't let bodybuilding rule my life. I def don't have the most impressive physique but I'm lean and have a good amount of muscle where people think I must workout a ton. Ill probably hold off for now for getting a dog. I have a cat right and 2 geckos that I love, but they don't need much time right now. Thanks for everyone's input though.

Thanks SL1CED, I'm actually pretty organized with that stuff and my time. How do you balance med school with work? Does that mean you will just be in med school for longer?

No, I do school during summers and winters too. I do academics and work full-time year round. Work pays for some of my schooling directly, as in % off.

I also get scholarships to help pay off the debt. It's such an ugly bill.

shelter!

I recommend adopting a dog from the shelter. Please do not buy a dog!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
crankyfranky28
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131