over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What happened to our gyms?

Actually local guy here opened up a powerlifting gym but bodybuilders are welcome as well. Great equipment, chalk, loud music, most people there are decently serious about the sport. It’s actually inspiring me to try some heavy lifts. MUCH better! [emoji1605]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys take things too at heart. I could give 3 shits if you wear headset or do ridiculous exercises or trying to reinvent the wheels. I go to train and get out. I have a bunch of gym friends that we talk chat about all kinds of things and make fun of each other for fun and giggles. Some of us are big and old school and some are our ages which is over 40s and don't have a lick of muscle. I'm not there to train or teach anyone. If you ask me I tell you and help you with tips and techniques. But I don't come up to anyone to correct them. Actually me and my girl lauph at people when they are doing weird exercises and think they are the gym king. The only thing that bothers me is when you have like 4 or 5 teens using a machine and talking or messing with there phone and when you ask them how many sets they have left they tell you something like ahhh 7 each. Instead of blowing up I just move on and do something else. Shit sometimes me and my girl finish our entire workout and the kids are still in the same machine. But they pay membership like you do so what's the point in arguing with kids

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i never cared what others did in the gym

and i DEF dont care now. i train for health and stress reasons now. not getting on stage ever again and will never beat any of my best lifts so it feels mundane as hell to me.
i dont really enjoy going to the gym anymore so just being there is a lil annoying. i dont talk to anyone as i dont wanna get into any chat about my "glory days" they are over and if i show anyone pics of what i used to look like they wanna know diet and training techniques that i know they wont follow. its just gotten really old.

i dont get on cell phone at gym cuz its the only place i can be left alone. (own my own biz and all employees know i wont respond if i am at the gym)
-F2S

You guys take things too at heart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s not about taking things to heart. It’s about the environment. Some gyms I’ve walked into. Zero energy. Feels like a damn library. Others full of people quarter squatting and using the bosu ball. Ever been to that purple gym? Yeah the dumbbells only go to 75 and there’s no barbells. The people there just want to FEEL like they are doing something but you can’t even get strong there. Having a real gym with real lifters who want to get better makes a HUGE difference. Sure I can put my headphones in and put in the work no matter where I am. But when you can chalk up, have the music going, spotters who could actually do something if you missed the lift, people there who are doing what it takes to get bigger and stronger. Yeah that’s the environment I want to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of you completely missed my point. I don't give a fuck what anyone does in the gym. My point is I work, and work out at one of the most well known totally hard core gyms on the east coast. I've been a certified trainer for 30 years, I have a degree in Sports Nutrition. I see these newbies come to my gym because of it's reputation of producing real athletes. If your in your 20's and you come to my gym to learn and be part of the hard core environment you could at least pay attention to what the real vets are doing and saying. Listen to fucking Abba for all I care. Unless your an NPC champion or higher you just might learn something at my home gym. Not a social meeting at all, a place of learning and camaraderie amongst real athletes. Just hate that attitude of I'm too big and bad to talk to you.! Not in my gym you're not.
Yes I need Wi-Fi too, just not every second.

I like a good atmosphere/energy in the gym because it helps to feed off that energy. For me, the most boring training sessions are when I'm there with a lot of the seniors. I love the fact they are there and committed to their health but man, that is not the right scene when I need that extra energy to power through a hard workout.

As an old guy I have always got all I needed for motivation from myself. But I do see some of the older guys pushing them selves to get through a work out. Course most of the younger guys don't really seem to know what pushing yourself is. They think when something feels difficult that means they worked the set to failure. Then back to the phone for several minutes.

I don't give a shit what other people do as long as they put their weights away in the right spot.

The perfect partner to me doesn't talk. He/she knows when I'm about to fail or when I decide on the fly to do a drop set and senses that.

I actually dont give a shit about the atmosphere per se as I'm a morning lifter and the douches aren't there yet. I'm more surprised at the lack of good, badass equipment or just BBing gyms in general. Too many YMCA's, 24-hr Fitness, LA Fitness type shit. 1 hammer strength press and thats it. I'm just very picky on the shit I use so I need to scope out a gym before I hit it.

I actually just took a new job so I'm going to start hitting a new gym in Southern California. About to scope out Metroflex Long Beach as well as Fit Nation Gym in Norwalk, CA. Both are big time BBing gyms in CA.

I actually dont give a shit about the atmosphere per se as I'm a morning lifter and the douches aren't there yet. I'm more surprised at the lack of good, badass equipment or just BBing gyms in general. Too many YMCA's, 24-hr Fitness, LA Fitness type shit. 1 hammer strength press and thats it. I'm just very picky on the shit I use so I need to scope out a gym before I hit it.

I actually just took a new job so I'm going to start hitting a new gym in Southern California. About to scope out Metroflex Long Beach as well as Fit Nation Gym in Norwalk, CA. Both are big time BBing gyms in CA.

nice. fit nation looks awesome. i know milos trains a number of pros and amateurs out of there...

my biggest pet peeve and i see this fucking EVERYWHERE by the majority (the baloonheads and the apes alike), is everyone NEVER putting their fucking weights away. Never ever! it infuriated me when i was in gyms. even almost came to blows with a guy once after he threatened me because i asked him to re-rack his weights. I blame the gyms for not enforcing the rule just as much, though.

When i was growing up and in high school and even at the beginning of college no one pulled this shit. even the assholes with plastic lat syndrome put their shit back when they finished with their sets. Maybe it was the gyms i was in (one was hardcore, the other was a Gold's).

Most of the people i see now are selfish pricks who can't stand to put their phones down for more than a minute. I could tolerate the selfies and the idiots who get in the way because they're pre-occupied with their phones more than the fuckos who leave the plates on or all over the place.

This gets me so annoyed. Like probably everyone here, I use heavy weights, but ALWAYS rerack. Ive had an issue with trainers leaving weight on cybex/hoist machines. Its nevever a lot, but really pisses me off. Ive complained twice in the past few months..

nice. fit nation looks awesome. i know milos trains a number of pros and amateurs out of there...

Yeah, I've never gone in actually.

I trained at Golds in Venice for a year or so but my work hopped around and now its just a little too out of the way. Gold's is great though. LOTS of equipment.

I was looking between: Dave Fisher's Powerhouse, Metroflex and Fit Nation.
Think I might have to go with Fit Nation. Milos is at Powerhouse a lot too.

This gets me so annoyed. Like probably everyone here, I use heavy weights, but ALWAYS rerack. Ive had an issue with trainers leaving weight on cybex/hoist machines. Its nevever a lot, but really pisses me off. Ive complained twice in the past few months..

once in a while i work out at the shitty Purple gym and the irony of it is, my body is so injured i don't have a need for heavier dumbbells AND they have very few plates or machines that are plate loaded and no barbell movements. So i never get into situations where i'm asking some dipshit if they're done with their sets or if they could please repack their weights. No barbells, few plate loaded machines, mostly selectorized. The irony of it all...

If I notice what is going on around me or who is there and what they're doing, am I training as of effectively as I could or as focused on my training as I should be?:lightbulb:

Not trying to be "that guy" or "Mr. Hardcore" who doesn't speak to others or associate with fellow patrons, but I try to not let my surroundings affect me. I have a very good friend who was a successful competitive bodybuilder who now owns his own gym. He plays "oldies" music at his gym and I enjoy training there and enjoy the camaraderie with the people there who are mostly not interested in competing but enjoy working out and are trying to maintain or improve their health and fitness levels. I don't mind or hardly even notice what music is playing especially as I get into my working set(s).

I try to keep my mind on my overall goal and what I'm training that day for maximum benefits.

Truly "hardcore" comes from within, not externally!:headbang:

Lots of beta males in here complaining about OP’s opinions. Losers.

Brilliant response. Nothing like posting on a board and expecting only those who agree with you to post.....

Anyone who uses the term beta generally is one, btw.

Last edited:
Sometimes I actually prefer the posh gyms were the few people who are there are just texting on the bench. That means you can use everything else, superset stuff and your don't have to talk to people. I get done allot faster that way.

I can kind of see both sides, though objectively, it's a public gym. If the 95lb kid wants to have headphones on and listen to Disturbed and Godsmack and other lame crap (no offense if ya'll like that, but there's some irony in me bashing those bands while making this post, if you look closely) then he has every right to do so. He is paying the exact same monthly fee as you, you have a right to grunt and act like a maniac, he has a right to text between sets. End of story on that one.

As far as old stuff being better. Old stuff is always better, but it's usually not the old stuff that was better, it's that we were young and in our prime and having a lot more fun so we reflect on those times and associate old school gyms, old music, old cars, old speaker systems, whatever, as being "better", when the reality was, life was better because we were looking UP, now we are looking DOWN.

Lastly. I wear headphones at the gym, same reason I sometimes wear them at the supermarket. I like to do my own thing, even though I'm considered a veteran now I guess, I did it from day one. I'm not a social person in general, I really dislike people coming up to me at the gym and talking about lifting, or bodybuilding or whatever (I don't mind spotting you). I'm there to get in and get out, it's not a hang-out for me, it's actually more meditative for me than anything. I've had people take 15+ minutes of my time chit-chatting about bodybuilding..... I have a lot of other shit to do! Just be careful and don't drop a plate on me if I'm next to you, it's not that difficult.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws